How do I find memory addresses in PSOBB?

Canvas

So I've downloaded the PSOBB Addon Plugin and I'm really interested in doing some stuff. So I've done a little bit of LUA and I'm sure I can get my head around it. I've looked at imgui as well and feel confident. However the part I'm stuck on is the memory address stuff.

So taking a look at SethClydesdale Cooridnate Viewer https://github.com/SethClydesdale/psobb-coordinate-viewer I can see in their init.lua these two lines

local _PlayerArray = 0x00A94254
local _PlayerIndex = 0x00A9C4F4

Later on in the code I can see it is accessing the pso object and invoked read_f32 which I would assume is just reading a floating point (read_u32 would be read an unsigned value from memory? https://clementgallet.github.io/libTAS/guides/lua/)

pso.read_f32(playerAddr + 0x38) -- left/right

Now what I'm trying to understand is how on Ragol did they find out the memory address/position/location whatever you may call it. I tried to use Cheat Engine to find values however when I run Cheat Engine it just closes PSOBB due to the built in code, I've tried VMMap, heapmemview and NTCore but I'm not sure if those will help. I'm not new to the coding side of things, but looking for memory locations etc is quite alien to me, if anyone could just point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated.

Canvas

Use Tethealla client for reference, Ephinea loads most of its code through a DLL so I would guess Teth has big similarities with Ephinea client, it will respond positively to its memory being viewed and to being debugged be it with cheat engine, x32dbg, IDA... etc

It is likely that Ephinea don't want people poking at their client and for good reason.

That being said, finding addresses is an insanely time consuming process when you have no idea where something is stored, or where the code that does that thing is in the game memory. It's like trying to find a needle in a ginormous haystack.

Last edited:
Awesome, cheers for the information. To be honest I did think it was gonna be a hard grind and find for the specific address etc. But using the Tethealla is probably the best bet.

I'm gonna try with Cheat Engine and see what I can find, but spending 3 weeks to figure out how the game tracks the sort order like @staphen here, I may just skip it :D

Back