Hosting Server - Odd Client Disconnects/Crashes

Skylaire

I'm having a strange issue with my client when connected to a server I'm hosting on my computer. As far as I know, everything is setup correctly, I can connect without a problem consistently but I'm experiencing intermittent crashing. Occasionally this happens when I warp into a room, and sometimes when I warp into a combat zone. However, I can reproduce the crash 100% of the time whenever I specifically fire a ranged weapon towards the screen (As if I were shooting it at myself). It's the weirdest thing and produces no feedback on the server software indicating that anything went wrong.

For the record I've forwarded the required ports, but I've had to shift the 11000/12000 to 13000/14000 to accommodate a mobile syncing software that uses 12000 (I also have the +1's of each forwarded). I use my computers static IP as my connection spot. My computer has a two screen setup (Not sure if that would change anything, it seems like a weird client issues so I don't know). I've downloaded the latest .exe's I could before connecting (It's a windows 7 64-bit computer).

I'm at a bit of a loss, I've been moving things around and trying to see if I can get it working with no luck so far. If there's any other information you need, I'll gladly supply it. Thanks!

Skylaire

Physical client crashes, like a faded black screen freeze or "PSOBB has encountered an error and must shutdown"

Neirene

is your client the Tethealla recommended one from the instructions? did you changed any file on it?

Skylaire

Yes, that's the one I've used but I did use the tool (CreateTethEXE?) that makes a .exe with my IP address for the connection process (I have very little experience in these sorts of networking/hex editing things). Aside from that, I did edit the drops on the server to be some relatively tame things (Using a different drop editing tool also found on this forum) but the crash persisted even when I reverted the drops back to normal or used a section ID without edited drops. Otherwise it's all the standard software included in the setup instructions.

Soly

Well... if you look at the asmpatch_example it says that you have to name it asmpatch.txt for it to work
Code:
//, An ASM patch file MUST be named asmpatch.txt for the patches to be included in the final executable.
I haven't tried that but well.. could be.

Indeed must be a client issue, ports or drops would not cause that (drops are entirely server side) and ports you would just not be able to connect.

Skylaire

I attempted both approaches and replaced my .exe with the rebuilt files but I'm encountering the same error. Although I haven't seen a crash into an area/room for a long time so I'm not sure if that's much of an issue anymore. The main issue is still with the handgun firing, however. I appreciate the help so far by the way, thanks guys.

Neirene

try to redownload the tethealla clean client again, probably some of the files for the handgun or the particles are broken.

Skylaire

I grabbed the client again and the crash is still happening. Let me make sure it's the correct one, I should be downloading the client from the instructions for the server thread?

Also I'll attach a photo of the issue, so it's more apparent exactly where it's happening... I guess that may help?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
DEP error (well, should be). You'll need to turn it off -- I had this bug years ago and this is how I solved it.

Assuming Windows 7:

Go to System (through Control Panel or going to computer properties), Advanced System Settings and click Settings under Performance and go to Data Execution Prevention. You should come to a window like this:

http://puu.sh/jTZ9C/2b13e02fd3.png

Make the window look like that (so tick turn on DEP for essential programs only) and then apply it and restart the computer and your issue should be fixed.

Reactions: Mad

Soly

I don't see why DEP would cause the client to crash specifically while firing a gun lol.. but this thing (pso) is really weak and crashes for anything, someone should start a "common issues" topic with all the problems seen so far and their respective solution(s).

Skylaire

Actually, I must have had some residual DEP activated for old PSOBB clients that required me to designate them for it. After disabling DEP in the way Matt suggested the handgun crashing error has disappeared. However, I kept playing for a little while to make sure everything was alright and the game seems to have encountered a similar error (PSOBB has stopped working...) seemingly at random as I was just walking this time. Any ideas about that?

Neirene

I got an Idea!, Skylaire why dont you try to register an account on the Ephinea server and play on it by just replacing the EXE with the one of this server?

Login and test to kill a few monsters at the Forest, if everything works probably theres an issue with the current PSOBB exe generator for your computer in particular and would be a great way to troubleshoot any client issues that might exist.

If it doesnt works on Ephinea either then definitvely you might have something in your computer messing up with the PSOBB client...

http://ephinea.pioneer2.net/

Skylaire

I did just this and seemed to encounter no issues. I had also tried it before doing the whole DEP fix and had no issues on the Ephinea server as that had crossed my mind that maybe it was just an issue with how my computer handled the private client in general. I went back to my client and in the solo play mode (Though I don't know if that has any bearing on anything) I haven't experienced any crashing in the 15 minutes I've been playing so perhaps it was just a random crash and I was being paranoid over it because of the previous crashing. I'll send something if another problem arises but I want to thank you all for the help you've given me in figuring this out!

tofuman

Administrator
Staff member
For sure DEP can cause PSOBB to crash on sound effects. So adding as you have done to the exceptions should be the fix.