Hi!

Drax Sawyer

Hi guys,

I´m a 30 year old guy from Brazil who lived the PSO era on Dreamcast to the fullest.

It is amazing to see that there is community of people who feel the same about this game as me. It almost (if not) brings tears to my eyes to remember those days. I remember going to Forest 2 for the first time and I was just like "oh my...what happened?!!"...waiting people to enter the teleporter to a boss...all the songs! The start screen song...gives me chills, the very first second of it. Sometimes I listen to a long version of it on youtube. You know what? I´m gonna listen to it now! haha

So, I have a couple of questions, and I´ll appreciate if you guys can give me a hand. (if the answers are available somewhere, please show me the way). Also, I don´t have much more knowledge about programing, servers, MySQL (don´t even know what it is), and such, so it would be very nice if someone can help me with simple and acessible info.

1 - I still have my Dreamcast and PSO game. Can I use it somehow to play with you? I don´t think so, since you play the Blue Burst version, and, well, it´s a Dreamcast with a cd.

2 - I have a xbox360. Is it possible to connect the server trough it? Maybe installing the game in it´s hard disk...i don´t know.

3 - How fast of a computer do I need?

4 - Simply asking: how to join?

Alright, that is it.

Thank you for reading!
I´m looking forward to play with you!

Best.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I´m a 30 year old guy from Brazil who lived the PSO era on Dreamcast to the fullest.

It is amazing to see that there is community of people who feel the same about this game as me. It almost (if not) brings tears to my eyes to remember those days. I remember going to Forest 2 for the first time and I was just like "oh my...what happened?!!"...waiting people to enter the teleporter to a boss...all the songs! The start screen song...gives me chills, the very first second of it. Sometimes I listen to a long version of it on youtube. You know what? I´m gonna listen to it now! haha

So, I have a couple of questions, and I´ll appreciate if you guys can give me a hand. (if the answers are available somewhere, please show me the way). Also, I don´t have much more knowledge about programing, servers, MySQL (don´t even know what it is), and such, so it would be very nice if someone can help me with simple and acessible info.

1 - I still have my Dreamcast and PSO game. Can I use it somehow to play with you? I don´t think so, since you play the Blue Burst version, and, well, it´s a Dreamcast with a cd.

2 - I have a xbox360. Is it possible to connect the server trough it? Maybe installing the game in it´s hard disk...i don´t know.

3 - How fast of a computer do I need?

4 - Simply asking: how to join?

Alright, that is it.

Thank you for reading!
I´m looking forward to play with you!

Best.
Eeeeeeeeeeee!!! Yet Another Old Guard Dreamcaster returns to the fight! Yes, some of the the music clips alone just about anywhere in the game will raise the hairs on your body and make you sigh happily =') Good News about your XBOX360 tho dear! Your wired xbox360 pad is plug and play with PSO on your PC! Well, Wired xbox360/ONE/PS4 pads are plug and play! Aaaaand the button layout is similar to the old school DC/GC/Xbox setup so it's like 17+ years of muscle memory! =3! Looking forward to pouncing and playing wiff you too! But most important of all....
bem-vindo a casa mijito! =3

Welcome to Ephinea, Drax! Nice to meet you. n.n

Currently, I'm afraid there is no support for Dreamcast, GameCube, or Xbox versions of PSO as far as I know for Ephinea as Blue Burst was the latest, exclusive PC release of the game that includes Episodes 1, 2, and 4. Many changes were made from the DC version to BB that made older versions incompatible because of different game mechanics, bugs, and exploits. You can't transfer character data at the moment to Ephinea either, but the good news is it doesn't take long to get started here, so let's get started!

Step 1: Create an Account
First, you'll need to create an account to play the game here: https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/register/

For Account Type:
  • Normal is for the vanilla PSOBB experience. In this mode, you can play with other Normal and Hardcore players.
  • Hardcore is for veteran players that are looking for a challenge. When your character dies without Scape Dolls, that character and all of the stuff in their character bank gets wiped permanently.
  • Sandbox mode is typically used to test new builds or experiment with features of the game.
For now, I'd recommend setting up a Normal account if you're now playing Blue Burst for the first time.

Step 2: Download the Game
Download the game here: http://files.pioneer2.net/Ephinea_PSOBB_Installer.exe

After you're finished downloading, go ahead and run the installer. When the game is finished installing, it should run patches from the launcher. You can then go ahead and configure the Options to your liking from the launcher. I'd recommend ticking the "Save User ID" checkbox in the Options menu of the launcher so that you don't have to keep typing that in each time you log on, for sure!

Here are the Minimum System Requirements for Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst:
  • CPU: Pentium 4 or Athlon XP
  • CPU SPEED: 1.4 GHz
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • VIDEO CARD: Direct3D compatible, 3D graphics board, minimum 64 MB VRAM (NVIDIA GeForce FX / ATI Radeon 9600+)
  • DIRECTX VERSION: 9.0b
Please note that if you intend to run this game on a Mac, it'll have to be played through Bootcamp or other software that can emulate Windows on your computer first.

Step 3: Logging on for the First Time
Start the game and select Patch Download. It will apply the latest patches to the game and the game will restart.

When the game restarts, select Register User ID and type your username in lowercase letters only in order to log on. The password is case-sensitive, so make sure to keep that in mind while you're putting in your info. When that is done, select Confirm > Start Game.

From there, you can follow this guide to find out where to go and all the adventures that await you and friends in PSOBB:
https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/beginners-guide/creating-a-character/

See you around, Drax. Good luck and have fun! ^_^

Best,
- Korozenn

Hi Korozenn,

thank you so much for your very detailed answer! Now I´m (almost) ready to go.

The problem is, as I feared, my crappy notebook cannot do the job. It is a i3, with 4000 RAM, 1,4 GHz, but the cardboard is a Intel HD Graphics 3000, with 32MB VRAM. Sometimes I struggle to open a excel sheet...haha

My xbox can´t save me on that right?

Thanks again!

Best

Your notebook should be strong enough.

It more than meets the requirements. I played PSOBB just fine on a 2006 laptop with a much older Intel HD Graphics chip at 1024x768 back in the day with no issues.

Try it out, you will be surprised.

(Ignore the VRAM amount. The 32MB should be fine, though I think you can edit the amount of VRAM given to the Intel HD through the BIOS to give even more if you need to.)

Eeeeeeeeeeee!!! Yet Another Old Guard Dreamcaster returns to the fight! Yes, some of the the music clips alone just about anywhere in the game will raise the hairs on your body and make you sigh happily =') Good News about your XBOX360 tho dear! Your wired xbox360 pad is plug and play with PSO on your PC! Well, Wired xbox360/ONE/PS4 pads are plug and play! Aaaaand the button layout is similar to the old school DC/GC/Xbox setup so it's like 17+ years of muscle memory! =3! Looking forward to pouncing and playing wiff you too! But most important of all....
bem-vindo a casa mijito! =3

Obrigado Harborer!

Yes, tell me about it! The lobby music, the screen after start screen music, the shop music, or when you get a pipe to go back to the city. Everything is amazing...those guys know about making games...thats why they made the greatest of all! hahaha

It will take some time until I figure the videocard problem. :(
As I knew from Korozenn answer, my laptop is not enough. But I´m so looking forward to playing with you too!

As I knew from Korozenn answer, my laptop is not enough. But I´m so looking forward to playing with you too!
As I just said, your laptop is fine. Ignore the VRAM requirement, especially since the Intel HD 3000 dynamically allocates VRAM as it needs it anyway. It can go all the way up to 128MB on it's own.

The specs of your laptop are just fine for PSOBB.

As I just said, your laptop is fine. Ignore the VRAM requirement, especially since the Intel HD 3000 dynamically allocates VRAM as it needs it anyway. It can go all the way up to 128MB on it's own.

The specs of your laptop are just fine for PSOBB.

Hi Sodaboy,

I didn´t see your answer before.

Well, so that is very good news!!

I will most certainly give it a try tomorrow. I will let you guys know how it went. ;)

Thank you very much!

Just make sure, if you get lag in seabed, seaside, and other places with certain effects, that you turn off advanced effect in options. Sometimes this really hurts certain notebooks/laptops, idk why but it's just kind of a "thing".

Welcome to Ephinea!!

Your Notebook should be fine, I have run PSO on much worse. Here are some tips if you have issues:

1. In Options > More you can set your game to ''Auto Frame skip'' or if it's still kinda bad selecting Frame Skip on 1 or 2 (skips frames to avoid lag burst, but is not as fluid because of it.) Auto being that it only activates when it becomes laggy. 1+2 Are constant with 2 being the most skipped.

KTo1pB0.png

While you are in options make sure all your Details are on ''Low'' (scrolled left) and as @Nikki mentions advanced effects are off. Only play with frame-skip if you have to because the game is so much fluid/better without them.

2. Check out mods/patches: Here <-- towards the bottom of the page are the anti-lag patches.
  • Barba Lag Fix
  • Barta Lag Fix (<- Recommend, works great, plus there is a few in the pack you can choose from for looks/least lag)
  • Ep4 Boss egg Lag fix
  • Sub Des 2 Lag fix
  • Sub Des + Boss lag fix
  • Anti CCA fog (<-- Recommended as it removes fog entirely from the game, in general is easier to see (so less annoying), I use it now with a good setup. But on older PC's the fog can cause a lot of lag so this helps a lot)
  • IBOUGHTMYPCFROMWALMART Patch (<-- Not reccomended unless your PC is utter garbage, what it does is remove ALL TEXTURES from the game and is quite funny at times, helps with huge lag)
3. Download: System Explorer

This is basically an advanced Task Manager. You can do these things in Task manager but you cannot save it and be doing it everytime you turn your notebook/pc on is just annoying.

Set Priority: Setting this on HIGH will make a huge difference in performance as it brings all your pcs resources to run this. Setting real-time is not recommended and will cause issues. You can even set other programs running lower to help with resources to the game. Make sure to click ''permanent'' if you want the setting to stay when reloading your PC.

Set Affinity: If you have multiple cores on the notebook (like 4 probably), you can assign one core specifically to PSOBB and it may take a while but.. assign ALL your other programs to other cores. What this will do is force those programs to use those cores only so that your game will be unaffected by them (as it's in it's own core), so that it can run smoother. Make sure to click ''permanent'' if you want the setting to stay when reloading your PC.
fv5CrBV.png

These are all things that have helped me in the past.

Last edited:
Welcome to Ephinea!!

Your Notebook should be fine, I have run PSO on much worse. Here are some tips if you have issues:

1. In Options > More you can set your game to ''Auto Frame skip'' or if it's still kinda bad selecting Frame Skip on 1 or 2 (skips frames to avoid lag burst, but is not as fluid because of it.) Auto being that it only activates when it becomes laggy. 1+2 Are constant with 2 being the most skipped.

KTo1pB0.png

While you are in options make sure all your Details are on ''Low'' (scrolled left) and as @Nikki mentions advanced effects are off. Only play with frame-skip if you have to because the game is so much fluid/better without them.

2. Check out mods: http://universps.online.fr/pso/bb/skin/listeSkin.php5?cat=30 <-- towards the bottom are some anti-lag patches.
  • Barba Lag Fix
  • Barta Lag Fix (<- Recommend, works great, plus there is a few in the pack you can choose from for looks/least lag)
  • Ep4 Boss egg Lag fix
  • Sub Des 2 Lag fix
  • Sub Des + Boss lag fix
  • Anti CCA fog (<-- Recommended as it removes fog entirely from the game, makes maps in general easier to see (so less annoying), I use it now with a good setup. But on older PC's the fog can cause a lot of lag so this helps a lot)
  • IBOUGHTMYPCFROMWALMART Patch (<-- Not reccomended unless your PC is utter garbage, what it does is remove ALL TEXTURES from the game and is quite funy at times, helps with huge lag)
2. Download: System Explorer

This is basically an advanced Task Manager. You can do these things in Task manager but you cannot save it and be doing it everytime you turn your notebook/pc on is just annoying.

Priority: Setting this on HIGH will make a huge difference in performance as it brings all your pcs resources to run this. Setting real-time is not recommended and will cause issues. You can even set other programs running lower to help with resources to the game. Make sure to click ''permanent'' if you want the setting to stay when reloading your PC.
sqj1EY0.png

Affinity: If you have multiple cores on the notebook (like 4 probably), you can assign one core specifically to PSOBB and it may take a while but.. assign ALL your other programs to other cores. What this will do is force those programs to use those cores only so that your game will be unaffected by them (as it's in it's own core), so that it can run smoother. Make sure to click ''permanent'' if you want the setting to stay when reloading your PC.
fv5CrBV.png

These are all things that have helped me in the past.

Hi Spuz,

Awesome!! Thank you so much for the detailed tips.

Back