He is horribles, Toki! He just made the reference.

verona_claymore

i'm interested in this.
Guildcard
So I was looking at the Ano Rifle and Ano Bazooka the other day and I realized they were a Zaku rifle and bazooka from the Gundam series (incidentally, a better translation would have been "That Rifle" and "That Bazooka," and entertains the crap out of me). Yunchang is Guan Yu's guandao, and I think Zhang Fei's spear is a Ep4 drop too. It got me to wondering, are there any other weapons/armor that are intended to be blatant references to other non-Phantasy Star stuff?

Yep, definitely recognize a lot of names from myth (Durandal, Kaladbolg, Gae Bolg, Excalibur). I guess I'm mostly wondering about pop-culture stuff that isn't Sega (Samba Maracas, Sonic Knuckle)/Phantasy Star (Elysion, Laconium Mace) related and like directly ripped from something else.

The Ano Bazooka is actually a Dom/Rick Dom's bazooka.

The Lavis Cannon is basically a reasonably-sized version of Cloud's Ultima Weapon in Final Fantasy 7, which explains why it's so powerful.

The Zanba is quite similar to the Buster Sword in Final Fantasy 7 as well.

Did the English Phantasy Star get a straight literal translation for all the weapons and items? Castlevania Symphony of Night actually has a lot of names just changed. I don't think the Japanese game had any Tolkien stuff.

Back