Gol Dragon Freezing [resolved]

Spekkio

Guildcard
Specifically during LBA that I know of so far. 3/4 of the last fights (having a hard time getting my HBR up :(). Upon entering I see him come down and then it's like the fight is going to start and everybody is standing still and I can't move. Music still playing.

I know this is an older game running on newer PCs and I can't expect it to work perfect all the time, but my game actually does run pretty good. No major issues beside this, so far, so surprised to see this all the sudden at a really specific point.

Not expecting anybody to fix my issue but wondering if anybody has ran into this or maybe some does have some insight they could share. Not sure this is necessary but I'll leave some of my info. just in case.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/26/2022, 04:38:45
Machine name: DESKTOP-NFPCT3J
Machine Id: {D081B04D-E797-42A1-BD05-5BD8E457025B}
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System Model: MS-7B48
BIOS: 2.10 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz (6 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16344MB RAM
Page File: 11777MB used, 6998MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.2075 64bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Type: Full Device (POST)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1B82&SUBSYS_C3031462&REV_A1
Device Status: 0180200A [DN_DRIVER_LOADED|DN_STARTED|DN_DISABLEABLE|DN_NT_ENUMERATOR|DN_NT_DRIVER]
Device Problem Code: No Problem
Driver Problem Code: Unknown
Display Memory: 16251 MB
Dedicated Memory: 8079 MB
Shared Memory: 8172 MB

Thanks

I had the same issue for a few years.

Basically if you're not the host, the client is waiting for some packets from the host client. But the game is using TCP and there's some issue in the modem or router that causes TCP receive to pause for a connection when it sees a big drop in activity (may be related to Intel Puma6 issue--all players I know with this issue had a Puma6 modem).

Buying a new modem/router is obviously a big task and you would be left to trial and error what works, but you can do a couple things to sometimes workaround this.

1. Be the host and you won't have this specific problem (although you'll still suffer from the same "alt tab for 15 seconds and DC" issue).
2. Spam a chat shortcut before the cutscene if not host and if you're stuck after the cutscene, spam it again.

You can verify it's an issue with your connection by testing with mobile data if possible. That's how I realized the issue was modem or ISP for me, and then I replaced the modem and haven't the issue since.

I had the same issue for a few years.

Basically if you're not the host, the client is waiting for some packets from the host client. But the game is using TCP and there's some issue in the modem or router that causes TCP receive to pause for a connection when it sees a big drop in activity (may be related to Intel Puma6 issue--all players I know with this issue had a Puma6 modem).

Buying a new modem/router is obviously a big task and you would be left to trial and error what works, but you can do a couple things to sometimes workaround this.

1. Be the host and you won't have this specific problem (although you'll still suffer from the same "alt tab for 15 seconds and DC" issue).
2. Spam a chat shortcut before the cutscene if not host and if you're stuck after the cutscene, spam it again.

You can verify it's an issue with your connection by testing with mobile data if possible. That's how I realized the issue was modem or ISP for me, and then I replaced the modem and haven't the issue since.

thank you! amazing you were able to figure this out.

now that you mention it I believe the one game I didn’t freeze was a game I hosted.

also the alt-tabbing you mentioned in the other thread, I had a bad habit of alt-tabbing after TTF runs (before turning in) and when I came back, after some time, I’d get a disconnect message.

I’ve only ever used my ISP router maybe I will look into getting my own and in the mean time I will try to spam a message before going on the transporter and when I ‘freeze’, if possible.

thanks again.

thank you! amazing you were able to figure this out.

now that you mention it I believe the one game I didn’t freeze was a game I hosted.

also the alt-tabbing you mentioned in the other thread, I had a bad habit of alt-tabbing after TTF runs (before turning in) and when I came back, after some time, I’d get a disconnect message.

I’ve only ever used my ISP router maybe I will look into getting my own and in the mean time I will try to spam a message before going on the transporter and when I ‘freeze’, if possible.

thanks again.
For the message spam, add something to a shortcut like "/ping" to Shift+F2 via the Chat>Shortcut menu. Then you can press it after teleporting to the boss arena, and a few times after cutscene if stuck.

Before you go buying a modem which can be a $ dent and bit of frustration connecting with your ISP, I would test on a separate connection if possible. If you can tether mobile internet, try that. Just to make sure it actually is the same issue for you.

I honestly can't say 100% if the issue is specific to "Intel Puma 6" modems. It's true that my bad modem (and router, one of those combined ones) was listed on some defective chipset list. And I bought a new modem (and router) that wasn't on the list and the problem went away. And the only reason I thought this was the issue was because of some angry forum post from a few years back where someone had very similar Wireshark results compared to what I was seeing.

If you do try a new modem, make sure it'll work with your ISP and can be activated over the phone. Ensure it's not on that Intel Puma 6 defective chipset list. And also that you can return it easily.

For the message spam, add something to a shortcut like "/ping" to Shift+F2 via the Chat>Shortcut menu. Then you can press it after teleporting to the boss arena, and a few times after cutscene if stuck.

Before you go buying a modem which can be a $ dent and bit of frustration connecting with your ISP, I would test on a separate connection if possible. If you can tether mobile internet, try that. Just to make sure it actually is the same issue for you.

I honestly can't say 100% if the issue is specific to "Intel Puma 6" modems. It's true that my bad modem (and router, one of those combined ones) was listed on some defective chipset list. And I bought a new modem (and router) that wasn't on the list and the problem went away. And the only reason I thought this was the issue was because of some angry forum post from a few years back where someone had very similar Wireshark results compared to what I was seeing.

If you do try a new modem, make sure it'll work with your ISP and can be activated over the phone. Ensure it's not on that Intel Puma 6 defective chipset list. And also that you can return it easily.

I took your advice and set /ping to a shortcut, will definitely try that out!

and I may end up getting a new modem router combo anyway... sorta reminded me I should probably own one instead of renting, so now I'm researching modems and learning some new things (like I may want docsis 3.1), so this may have turned out to be a positive thing after all. checking my ISP with compatible modems.

I will update with new info. when it comes, may be useful to somebody in the future.

Thank you

edit: so I did try the /ping command as soon as I could after cutscene and it did work two times so far, so I'm glad for that. Still might look into a modem and then trying without ping as well and updating here. TY!

edit: happens on Gal Gryphon as well. Also, using a symbol chat did work on a character I didn't have the shortcut on (panicked here! but got it in time)

Last edited:
If you end up not caring about DOCSIS 3.1, I picked up a Netgear CM600 last year and it works great. It's 35$ right now and supposedly works with most US-based ISPs. It doesn't have a built-in router, but I've always preferred to have those separate anyway.

If you end up not caring about DOCSIS 3.1, I picked up a Netgear CM600 last year and it works great. It's 35$ right now and supposedly works with most US-based ISPs. It doesn't have a built-in router, but I've always preferred to have those separate anyway.

thanks, I'll have to check that out. Yeah, I read a lot of people prefer to have them separate, so I may go that route. Some of the ones that are highly reviewed I've seen are around $200 each, a little too rich for my blood probably.

I was having this issue and still haven't tested the connection on mobile hotspot BUT this happened to me and another player (same US timezone) when at C-Mode bosses on Lumireis. I played C-Mode again last night (not as host) on Fodra 1 and there were no disconnects. I'm wondering if staying off Lumireis will make the problem go away (for now).

Still need to test it though.

Back