Gauging interest in a concise Challenge Mode walkthrough

rich

rich#1042 on Discord
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
FULL EP2 GUIDE NOW AVAILABLE ON WIKI: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/episode-2-challenge-mode-guides.22564/#post-177703

Link to the example guide here.

As someone who recently started cmode and would have been helped immensely by a guide like this that is very concise and could be followed along while playing, I am curious if something like this would help anyone else?

Key features that differ it from other guides:

All routing, no strategy. This makes it very easy to follow along during gameplay while leaving all the strategy and learning for when the timer isn't running. Notably this means that recommended routes for boxes are not included and recommendations for enemy/boss strategy would not be included either. Also recommended character comps etc. are not included. Note I'm currently in the middle of editing the cmode wiki and information regarding boss, area, and character strategy would likely be there, just in a different section.

Step-by-step. Every room where you do stuff is assigned a number that correlates to the number in the instructions. Again, this maximizes ability to follow the guide while playing.

Assumes knowledge. I'm under the impression that most people who are playing PSO 20+ years after release will know how to clear enemies without taking damage, at least decently if not quickly. Even players new to the game as a whole are very likely to play 100+ hours in Normal Mode before trying Challenge, so a lot of the information about how to hit and not get hit in other guides is pretty unnecessary.

Just lookin for feedback on whether this would help anyone else as much as it helped me, and if it would then I'll likely make the rest to finish out Episode 2 (then eventually Ep1). After rewriting them for myself I was able to s-rank on my first ever Challenge attempt, so it was pretty much exactly what I needed.

Thankies.

P.S. If you're an experienced cmode player any input/recommendations for the guide if I do end up working on it are welcome.

P.P.S. While I have no clue what it says shout out to this site for the original maps: http://www.ne.jp/asahi/mihara/sakura/pso/.

Last edited:
This seems like a super cool project!

You can study the speed runs on psostats and you might get some good info watching the gps tracking to see where some of the secret skips, enemy skips are etc. It’s a great project for sure. I’m sure some cmode vets can chime in or help in editing guides out on the wiki. Best of luck lol. I am also a cmode nub otherwise I’d offer to help more lol

Bump, sounds great. As someone who's just returned to PSO, challenge mode is something I've always skipped, primarily because S-ranks we're available elsewhere. Now on an ironman run, this becomes super useful.

Please continue!

Back