Game window closes immediately after starting

robosllim

The launcher loads up fine and it seemed to get the latest update when I first opened it, but when I click Start Game, the launcher closes and the game flashes on the screen for a brief moment before immediately closing out.

I have the game running without issues on a different computer, but I tried installing on this Windows 7 VM on my Macbook here. There's very little running on this VM; no antivirus or anything should be getting in the way here.

And just as I was about to post, I thought I'd see if there were error logs somewhere. I'll look into this a bit, but if anyone's seen this before, I'd appreciate the help.

Error : Can't find DisplayMode
Error : Can't use format [D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8]

robosllim

A nice simple solution, but unfortunately that didn't do it.

I'm pretty sure it's some DirectX/graphics card thing where the VM and this version of Windows aren't playing nice together. Not being much of a PC gamer, though, this is new territory for me.

Nikki

meh...
That sounds like what happens when you put the game to a resolution that your card/screen cant handle or it isn't designed for.

robosllim

Yeah, that was one of the first things I thought. The main display is 1920x1080, and that works fine, but even going down to 640x480 in the game settings had the same result.

Nikki

meh...
It could be that your antivirus is closing it as a unwanted application, you should always whitelist it regardless because PSO registers as a false flagged virus on nearly all AV.

robosllim

I feel like a jerk shutting down every suggestion, but this is a totally fresh Windows install with no AV on it. To be totally honest, I'm using my work laptop because my personal laptop is starting to crap out. I mean, it still kinda works, just as long as PSO is the only thing running and it's on minimum settings with a bit of frame skip. Now is definitely the time to build that new PC I've been putting off...

Nikki

meh...
Laptops are always iffy from my experience with PSO. If it's win7, doesn't that start with windows defender by default? That's a basic included AV.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
Does your VM feature any sort of 3D graphics acceleration? If not, it won't work no matter what.

You could also try to install DirectX 9 again.