Game just sits after patch screen... (moving background)

Hello!

I had the server all setup on my local machine and I went and did something dumb and got an Amazon dedicated box for it!

Now, I have gone through and changed a few things(IPs) in all the INI files and I think I have it, and the MYSQL setup, working correctly.

All 3 parts of the server are running.... I also generated a new game client.

THE ISSUE:
In pso- I can see the patch screen and press [ENTER], the game then moves on like it is going to bring up the character select screen, but doesn't, it is just sitting there, not frozen, but not doing anything.

Thoughts?

I should also add that I have tried it with the windows firewall on and off, and I have AWS set to allow all connections. So I don't think it is a port issue...

NOTE #2
The Login and Patch servers are showing connections from the client machine's IP, so they are getting through...

Eidolon

It's getting stuck somewhere sending the guildcard or the parameter files. Have you checked the logs?

Err... I checked the client, there is an error in the logs folder, but it is empty. Though the modified date is today....

Any help is appreciated. I probably just missed something in the conversion. Though I went over all my INI files and they seem alright... All I did for the client was regenerate a new EXE with the tool, with my new public IP and plop it over my old client.

Thanks X100

Last edited:

Eidolon

Since it's getting stuck at the parameter loading screen, it's definitely connecting to the character server redirect target correctly. Tethealla runs the Login and Character servers inside one application. If it wasn't able to reach the Character server, the client would immediately drop with "error: the server is full, please try again later."

Make sure that the working directory that the login and ship servers run in is the same as the directory where they exist. It is possible that the login server isn't reading the parameter files. This can easily break if you are using batch scripts on Windows to manage the daemons; just make sure to cd into the executable's path before running it.

I actually have an entire website built around the server that can allow uploads of item changes, quests, and monster stats.

It also restarts the server...
I plan on sharing this code with the community once I get some account functionality in there.

That being said... I checked the working folders and they are correct...

To test this, I ran all 3 exe files myself (clicking on them) so the working folders shouldn't be an issue... (folder structure should be the same as the one on my local machine that works.)

Could it be anything with MYSQL? I have the instance name the same... same acct and pw and still on (localhost).... I imported all the data and it all looks like it made it over safely..

I also had to generate a new shipkey.bin file. Though, I doubt this has much to do with it, as we are not making it to the ship yet.

Last edited:

Eidolon

The shipkey.bin file is used by the ship server to communicate with the logins server, it is required. If your login server can't connect to the MySQL server, it might fail, but it should have disconnected the client anyway.

Have you tried the .dat versions?

Also, may I ask why you're setting it up on an Amazon EC2 instance?

Eidolon

It would not, because the Login packet has to be encrypted, and the server would not be able to read the full message after incorrectly decrypting it. It should just disconnect.

Although honestly I'm not totally sure how Tethealla handles it.

Soly

I was thinking about it, but look at the post linked. I guess it doesn't happen and Soda might want to change that in the new server if it's not been changed already.

The shipkey.bin file is used by the ship server to communicate with the logins server, it is required. If your login server can't connect to the MySQL server, it might fail, but it should have disconnected the client anyway.

Have you tried the .dat versions?

Also, may I ask why you're setting it up on an Amazon EC2 instance?

I have only used MYSQL since I started using this.

I am setting it up on an EC2 instance, mainly to get it off my home machine, and onto a server/dedicated machine. The PSO server will not be the only thing running off of the box, though at this moment, it is.

But your bbtable, that's the edit I put after the picture in the other topic loaded.

I haven't touched the BBtable. I don't remember having to do anything with it upon the initial setup (though could just be my foggy memory). Would copying our server files over cause a need for a regeneration?

Eidolon

For clarification, the bbtable is a 4096 byte-ish key table that is used by BB for its cryptographic cipher, along with seeds sent during the connection handshake. If the client and server don't use the same key table, it breaks. But if you didn't change it, then it should match up with the regular Tethealla EXEs' key table, because the EXE patcher ships with that table.

In practice, the key table does nothing to improve anti-cheat security, but it does shield the line from deep packet inspection if a MITM doesn't know the key table, unlike the functions used by other versions of PSO. It's better to do something like some servers have done and straight-up patch the function itself. But I digress.

At this point I do think it might be your MySQL configuration. Give the .dat versions a shot and see if they work.

Soly

@Nuclearranger
Copying the files over would not require a new bbtable but creating a new exe with Soda's tool you could have done it by mistake.

@Eidolon
It does come with the default bbtable (its not used by the patch tool unless you remove "_default"), but running "newtable" will create a new table that will be used by the patch tool.

Last edited:
I created a new account, on the new server. This account can login....

I must have not migrated the data over correctly. Not sure what I did wrong yet... the data seems to look fine. It could be a header/footer issue?

I am a .NET consultant by trade, so admittedly, I know how to do MSSQL backups/restores a bit better with the .BAC files

Last edited:
I don't think that the 'blob' data translates over very well... any ideas? I tried using the mysqldump with no luck.... The data shows up but, the accts cannot login. Odd.

This actually doesn't bode well for regular backups.