Game crashing on start

Dr. Punch

Guildcard
Did everything the FAQ said, tried different graphics settings, still crashing on launch. The game was working perfectly before the august 20th patches.

Getting this error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BEX
Application Name: psobb.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 00000000
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.24384
Fault Module Timestamp: 5c6e2180
Exception Offset: 00074e0d
Exception Code: c0000409
Exception Data: 00000000
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1137
Additional Information 2: 1137f3821740d4d95a019643788ed004
Additional Information 3: 8707
Additional Information 4: 8707b812a7fb68a9aa2c1d6cb5f2480d

We can't reproduce this. In your EphineaPSO\log folder, do you see a dlldebug.log file and if so, anything in it?

Out of curiosity, what do you see in spec.log after you try running the game with Direct3D 8 renderer? Specifically for the "Driver:" line?

Do you have any d3d8.dll or d3d9.dll files already in your EphineaPSO folder? What happens if you delete them, run the launcher, and then run the game?

In your EphineaPSO\log folder, do you see a dlldebug.log file and if so, anything in it?
I don't see that file. There's only chat logs and a few other files: [dllerror], [error], [generic], [PSO_BB_dxdiag], [spec]

Out of curiosity, what do you see in spec.log after you try running the game with Direct3D 8 renderer? Specifically for the "Driver:" line?
Here's the whole file:

Driver :aticfx32.dll
Description:AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
VendorID :00001002
DeviceID :000068BE
SubSysID :E160174B
Revision :00000000

DEVICE :HAL-HARD

Notably, the file hasn't been modified since yesterday (august 19). In fact, other than [PSO_BB_dxdiag] no logs have been created or modified since yesterday. I'm assuming no logs are being altered/created when I try to run the game.

Do you have any d3d8.dll or d3d9.dll files already in your EphineaPSO folder? What happens if you delete them, run the launcher, and then run the game?
I don't have any of those files in that folder.

So, just to confirm, you've already tried:

1. Setting 3D API in launcher to D3D8
2. Setting MSAA and AF to disabled.
3. Launching the game?

Same for D3D9...

I haven't changed anything that would cause an issue from comparing the source code. So unless your OS is causing some issue, I really don't know.

But please confirm you have tried 1-3 first.

Also try rebooting your entire machine as well... Sometimes BS can just be coincidental.

1. Setting 3D API in launcher to D3D8
2. Setting MSAA and AF to disabled.
3. Launching the game?
Yes, I tried that. For reference, those are my default settings I play with all the time.

I've also tried all the other Direct3D API options and all result in a crash with the same error. Rebooting didn't change anything.

I honestly don't know what could have caused that.

I can't see anything I've changed that would cause that and the majority of players are online with no issue.

And I guess you already tried D3D9 with no AA/AF too.

Maybe try resetting settings in your Radeon Control Panel?

I'm out of ideas myself!

I tried the game after the update on my Windows 7 VMware VM and it runs fine in both D3D8 and D3D9, even with SMAA on.

So, I tried to uninstall and reinstall the game, started up the launcher, redownloaded recent patches and it still didn't work.

So, then I uninstalled and reinstalled again, but this time I didn't use the launcher and just opened PsoBB.exe directly and the game started up normally.

Something in a recent patch is causing me to have the "Problem Event Name: BEX" problem, which according to google is a Buffer Overflow Exception.

Weird. Well, I am out eating at a restaurant right now, then have to pick up some things.

If you’re around later, I’d like to send you a debug DLL which will log the startup and we can see where you are crashing.

If you have Discord, feel free to add me.

I would love to resolve this for you.

Sure thing. Just let me know when and how you want to give me that dll and I'll give it a shot.
Back home! I suggested Discord earlier in the topic, so we could have real time communication and fix things faster.

If you have another way, let me know, because using the forum for back and forth is not very great.

Back