Game Crash

†Ciel†

Hello,
I've been trying to play PSO, but my game crashes everytime a handgun is fired or some bosses uses their skills, for instance, the Dragon's Dive.
I've tried to make psobb.exe an exception already; several times, and it didn't work. It's a fairly new computer; like 1.5yo or 2; under Windows 10 Home. I don't know what to do. I've read in another post that you might need this, I have no idea what all these numbers means but here:

Faulting application name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc00001a5
Fault offset: 0x004d39da
Faulting process id: 0x40cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b8a97c40cfd9
Faulting application path: C:\Users\flash\Desktop\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\flash\Desktop\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Report Id: 076df49b-f759-47c4-ad5d-644323ca3c37
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Faulting application name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x004d39bf
Faulting process id: 0x40cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8b8a97c40cfd9
Faulting application path: C:\Users\flash\Desktop\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Users\flash\Desktop\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Report Id: 1ed28a08-4088-419f-a955-5a410dec2d3c
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thank you in advance for your answers! (I won't be able to try the solution starting tomorrow as I won't have pc access for a while but if it's tonight i'll be available; if not as soon as I'm back, so sorry in advance for anything)

This looks exactly like a crash due to DEP. Are you *positive* the path to psobb.exe in your DEP exceptions is correct? Try removing and adding back the DEP exception for psobb.exe.

If that doesn't work, you can also change the DEP settings for only Windows essential programs and service.

Top of the FAQ for directions on this: https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/faq/#technical

I'm positive I did it as explained in the FAQ and on several other posts. I even tried deactivating it completely with some command I found on the internet which I don't remember now.

What I have doubts about is if it's actually taken into account by the computer.

I've tried both suggestions already, but it keeps happening. What is strange is that everyone who had the same problem were able to play after putting psobb.exe as an exception; except one person who seems to have given up. I've even tried with other server to see if it were because of ephinea but it did the exact same thing.

That's why I say I believe it may well be a DEP issue except it might not be taking the exception into account.

If you select the other option in the DEP settings, there is no exception list iirc. If you're still crashing with that, that's really strange. Are you running PSO in some compatibility mode or something weird? Check both online.exe and psobb.exe.

At the beginning it was on set on the other DEP setting (Turn on DEP for essential only). I'm not really knowledgeable with computer (except just playing), so I don't know if it's running with something weird. For Online.exe, that's the thing my computer prevents me from putting an exception it says it must have DEP and doesn't let me go on.

Every time I fired a handgun and the game crashes, I notice a single abrupt spike in Task manager under GPU performance.
I don't know if it's relevant?

(Temporarily) try

MS fella said:
1. Type cmd in the start search menu, right-click on it and select Run as Administrator.

2. Once the command prompt is open, you can now disable the DEP by entering the following command line.

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOff

3. And to enable it back,

bcdedit.exe /set nx AlwaysOn

If it doesn't work then you probably have to go into your BIOS

edit 3442: try moving your installation off C:\ if possible as well. Might as well give updating your GPU drivers a try while you're at it.

Last edited:
Back