Future of PSO (Community and Rates)

Long time no see everyone. In fact, very long time no see.

I've been swithering for a bit as to whether to post this thread or not, but given the circumstance, I'm too curious not to.

Quick disclaimer; I've not been around for ages, so if any of my thoughts are out of date, do say so. I've done a bit of skimming, but not much.

The gist is, I had an odd PSO-related dream last night. I remember being in the lobby for the first time in many years, and I noticed that things looked a bit different. The lobby was much grander and more open; looked kinda shiny and new. Even the stars outside were in lovely hi res and had depth to them.

I went to the counter and was greeted with the ship selection screen, which had about 20 different ships. Each ship had "x/5" people on it. After choosing a ship, I went straight in to a game with 2 other people in it. They were in their 80's, I was LV6 or something, so I noped out of there... and woke up.

It's funny to think that after all this time, I've still not forgot about PSO or the people that I have so many fond memories of.

This event did however have me thinking, that though my dream was exagerated, PSO is not a very big community any more, and the community is largely fragmented between different servers. It had me thinking of ways to bring the community together, and to increase general enjoyment of the game. Of course, different servers offer different things, which initially causes individiual people to gravitate towards them, and then for their friends to go over to join them. In other words, we have the pioneers that are interested in new or alternative things, and the social players who want to play with their friends. Every time a new server comes out, it further causes people to split apart causing the communities of each to become even smaller. Last time I was here there was some server that was invitation-only; Hardcore particularly became a bit quieter here.

The thing is, if the community is to come together, then realistically one server would have to cater to the varied interests and needs that the PSO community has. Some people enjoy grinding, some are social, some want the best equipment, some like time-attacking, some like challenge mode, some like experimenting with quirky builds, some people like just chilling out and mindlessly killing things, etc. The list could no doubt go on. We already have grinding, and encouraging more people here would naturally increase the social aspect and the community for challenge mode. The other aspects are all ultimately end-game things; you're not going to have the best equipment at the start, nor are you going to be working towards the best time in solo PW3 with a Saber and a Handgun. Then we have the people that would dearly love to play, such as myself, but that simply don't have the free time that we used to.

This now is the crux of why I was unsure to post this or not, since every single time this question comes up... there is never any real discussion, just a "No", and that's the end of it. The issue is that of progression towards that end-game content.

The way I see it, when this version of PSO first came out (Let's say Ep 1 and 2, where they changed formulas etc), it was in terms of content much smaller than we have now, but much larger in terms of player-base. Lets even be conservative and say that between all the ships, they had about 500 people online at a time. This server, outside of an event, is less than a 10th of that at peak times. This creates a wall to the end-game content by hindering the economy. I understand the notion of staying true to Segas intentions, but the exp growth and drop rates that they had were suited to their number of players. Given the number of players, even rare items would ultimately be in circulation. If you wanted a Psycho Wand, you'd have to do a bit of clever bargaining, but you could realistically get one due to the economy supporting it. Nowadays, no. Some items might have a technical value... but that 5 PD Red Saber you found? Nobody wants it; it's worthless. It means that to get the high end equipment, you have to either find it yourself, or luck-out with another high-end item that you could possibly trade for it. The rates however are so bad, that certainly people that don't have a lot of time, are realistically not going to find these things and are going to be blocked from finding the enjoyment they want.

It's even simple things like PDs. I don't know if, even between all my characters, I have ever actually found 99 PDs. That's a single photon sphere; 6 and some change being required for a single 100% weapon (assuming hit). Then of course we have the other uses for PDs, such as adding specials to S-Ranks, and trading to Montague for items. All of these are frankly, prohibitively expensive given the rate that PDs drop. Even if the rates were increased to reflect the likes of PS-Zero, where you'd find maybe 1 or 2 per stage... you'd still be talking about 15 full Ep1 runs for a single PS. At 4 hours a run, that's probably about 60 hours for a single PS; over 360 hours for a single weapon. Realistically over 1,800 hours to get kitted out with 5 weapons. Rates like that however would mean that as a server, people would cummulatively be finding roughly enough PDs to make and use a PS an hour. This means that through trading, people would be able to Sphere the weapons they like, not just the ones that are strictly the best. This would further encourage experimentation, play styles, etc., and would allow people more ready access to the end-game content. It would mean that a 100% Dark Flow would remain beastly, but a 100% Red Sword would once again be a viable option, particularly on a Cast. It isn't now, since people would never waste their PDs on something so relatively worthless. Challenge mode suffers the same problem; what is the point in struggling to get a team together, finally beating it, then having nowhere near enough grinders to make the weapon worth using, or waiting far too long to scrounge enough PDs to add a special to it? The rates as they are in effect negate the S-Rank rewards.

As much as I'd argue that a global 2x, or frankly even 5x boost would not be excessive, this sort of thing needn't be all or nothing. This server has already demonstrated that it can create different game modes, such as Hardcore. Why could it not create a couple of other modes to accomodate people who perhaps don't have the time that they used to? It could even be possible to add an option at game creation for increased exp and/or rates. That way people could clearly see what they're getting in for; so people could choose to join or not.

... come to think of it... the rates that PS-Zero had are probably quite suitable for PSO given the number of players. You could introduce PS-Zero mode.

I feel at this time that having options and increasing the games availability to people is not a bad thing. Certainly, I would love to come back, I really would, but I really can't. I do rather wonder how many people are in a similar position. It's why, in hindsight, I chose to play on Hardcore. The 2x EXP was a large incentive to play, but the progression with equipment was frankly terrible. I found myself all too often having a decent LV character, using sorely under-leveled equipment. However, I couldn't play in regular mode because, again, progression was too slow. In other words, half way there, but not good enough.

I suppose my key question in this is; genuinely, why has none of this ever been done? Why is there never even discussion about this sort of thing? I understand wanting to remain traditional to Sega, but why do it so firmly when the current situation is so different? Why not bring people together and allow people the options to play in a way to meet their needs?

This is an honest and sincere question... so please, don't just dismiss it with a knee-jerk response.

rate increase has been talked about before when it comes to buffing pds drops IIRC

I've been swithering for a bit as to whether to post this thread or not, but given the circumstance, I'm too curious not to.

Quick disclaimer; I've not been around for ages, so if any of my thoughts are out of date, do say so. I've done a bit of skimming, but not much.

The gist is, I had an odd PSO-related dream last night. I remember being in the lobby for the first time in many years, and I noticed that things looked a bit different. The lobby was much grander and more open; looked kinda shiny and new. Even the stars outside were in lovely hi res and had depth to them.

I went to the counter and was greeted with the ship selection screen, which had about 20 different ships. Each ship had "x/5" people on it. After choosing a ship, I went straight in to a game with 2 other people in it. They were in their 80's, I was LV6 or something, so I noped out of there... and woke up.

It's funny to think that after all this time, I've still not forgot about PSO or the people that I have so many fond memories of.

This event did however have me thinking, that though my dream was exagerated, PSO is not a very big community any more, and the community is largely fragmented between different servers. It had me thinking of ways to bring the community together, and to increase general enjoyment of the game. Of course, different servers offer different things, which initially causes individiual people to gravitate towards them, and then for their friends to go over to join them. In other words, we have the pioneers that are interested in new or alternative things, and the social players who want to play with their friends. Every time a new server comes out, it further causes people to split apart causing the communities of each to become even smaller. Last time I was here there was some server that was invitation-only; Hardcore particularly became a bit quieter here.

The thing is, if the community is to come together, then realistically one server would have to cater to the varied interests and needs that the PSO community has. Some people enjoy grinding, some are social, some want the best equipment, some like time-attacking, some like challenge mode, some like experimenting with quirky builds, some people like just chilling out and mindlessly killing things, etc. The list could no doubt go on. We already have grinding, and encouraging more people here would naturally increase the social aspect and the community for challenge mode. The other aspects are all ultimately end-game things; you're not going to have the best equipment at the start, nor are you going to be working towards the best time in solo PW3 with a Saber and a Handgun. Then we have the people that would dearly love to play, such as myself, but that simply don't have the free time that we used to.

This now is the crux of why I was unsure to post this or not, since every single time this question comes up... there is never any real discussion, just a "No", and that's the end of it. The issue is that of progression towards that end-game content.

The way I see it, when this version of PSO first came out (Let's say Ep 1 and 2, where they changed formulas etc), it was in terms of content much smaller than we have now, but much larger in terms of player-base. Lets even be conservative and say that between all the ships, they had about 500 people online at a time. This server, outside of an event, is less than a 10th of that at peak times. This creates a wall to the end-game content by hindering the economy. I understand the notion of staying true to Segas intentions, but the exp growth and drop rates that they had were suited to their number of players. Given the number of players, even rare items would ultimately be in circulation. If you wanted a Psycho Wand, you'd have to do a bit of clever bargaining, but you could realistically get one due to the economy supporting it. Nowadays, no. Some items might have a technical value... but that 5 PD Red Saber you found? Nobody wants it; it's worthless. It means that to get the high end equipment, you have to either find it yourself, or luck-out with another high-end item that you could possibly trade for it. The rates however are so bad, that certainly people that don't have a lot of time, are realistically not going to find these things and are going to be blocked from finding the enjoyment they want.

It's even simple things like PDs. I don't know if, even between all my characters, I have ever actually found 99 PDs. That's a single photon sphere; 6 and some change being required for a single 100% weapon (assuming hit). Then of course we have the other uses for PDs, such as adding specials to S-Ranks, and trading to Montague for items. All of these are frankly, prohibitively expensive given the rate that PDs drop. Even if the rates were increased to reflect the likes of PS-Zero, where you'd find maybe 1 or 2 per stage... you'd still be talking about 15 full Ep1 runs for a single PS. At 4 hours a run, that's probably about 60 hours for a single PS; over 360 hours for a single weapon. Realistically over 1,800 hours to get kitted out with 5 weapons. Rates like that however would mean that as a server, people would cummulatively be finding roughly enough PDs to make and use a PS an hour. This means that through trading, people would be able to Sphere the weapons they like, not just the ones that are strictly the best. This would further encourage experimentation, play styles, etc., and would allow people more ready access to the end-game content. It would mean that a 100% Dark Flow would remain beastly, but a 100% Red Sword would once again be a viable option, particularly on a Cast. It isn't now, since people would never waste their PDs on something so relatively worthless. Challenge mode suffers the same problem; what is the point in struggling to get a team together, finally beating it, then having nowhere near enough grinders to make the weapon worth using, or waiting far too long to scrounge enough PDs to add a special to it? The rates as they are in effect negate the S-Rank rewards.

As much as I'd argue that a global 2x, or frankly even 5x boost would not be excessive, this sort of thing needn't be all or nothing. This server has already demonstrated that it can create different game modes, such as Hardcore. Why could it not create a couple of other modes to accomodate people who perhaps don't have the time that they used to? It could even be possible to add an option at game creation for increased exp and/or rates. That way people could clearly see what they're getting in for; so people could choose to join or not.

... come to think of it... the rates that PS-Zero had are probably quite suitable for PSO given the number of players. You could introduce PS-Zero mode.

I feel at this time that having options and increasing the games availability to people is not a bad thing. Certainly, I would love to come back, I really would, but I really can't. I do rather wonder how many people are in a similar position. It's why, in hindsight, I chose to play on Hardcore. The 2x EXP was a large incentive to play, but the progression with equipment was frankly terrible. I found myself all too often having a decent LV character, using sorely under-leveled equipment. However, I couldn't play in regular mode because, again, progression was too slow. In other words, half way there, but not good enough.

I suppose my key question in this is; genuinely, why has none of this ever been done? Why is there never even discussion about this sort of thing? I understand wanting to remain traditional to Sega, but why do it so firmly when the current situation is so different? Why not bring people together and allow people the options to play in a way to meet their needs?

This is an honest and sincere question... so please, don't just dismiss it with a knee-jerk response.
Very Sincere post! =3 And even a comical mew can't imagine the server gods dismissing this with a simple and feared "No". But GETTING a wholesome and gratifying answer may take some time? With the holiday season slowly creeping upon us, getting anything to 'change' to fit such a wide variety of play styles in a short time may be...kinda hard. With Ephinea getting more and more attendance. What you had explained is going to be even more relevant. Populace may warrant 'changes' to satisfy a wider variety of 'play styles' for end gamers and the working class of casuals who cant grind 18 hour PSO stints. Spheres and PDs be DAMNED if our server gods go to their own jobs Worried about trying to keep EVERYONE happy. They do enough without trying to alter the Sega footprint...As we grow...things are sure to change for the better so that stuff like Psycho wands or TJS will still be a PITA to aquire but not impossible. Sorry for the counter-ranting...Just wanted you to know it was a good read and wont be ignored. BTW...still remember your Avatar as "How a Newman SHOULD have been!" <3!! Welcome Home Rufus-san! =3

But in all seriousness, a flat blanket rate to buffs would not solve any problems, and it's not necessarily a good compromise either. Short-term it will bring benefits, but long-term it does not.

I can write something more in-depth later, a little busy right now.

Nice to see you all again. ^_^

Thanks for getting back to me; it's good to know that the question is being taken seriously.

I can write something more in-depth later, a little busy right now.

There's no particular rush. I've put on the email notifications, so I wont miss anything.

it's not necessarily a good compromise either.

Which is why it's good to talk; there's presumably something here I'm not seeing.

Certainly in my view as a casual player, I can't see any real reason why having the options would be a bad thing, which is why I'm interested in the perspective of the community and the mod team particularly. As I say, I recognise that a flat increase is not a good idea, since plenty of people would no doubt love the grind as is. Ordinarily in games, I love grinding myself; it's why I love doing 100% runs in Castlevania for example. Imposing something on people that don't want it is a sure way to turn people off; therefore the idea of making things optional.

Really, a Lavis Cannon is a Lavis Cannon. That somebody found it a little quicker thanks to boosted rates doesn't make it illigitmate. So longs as both parties involved make a trade that they both find fair, then the weapon has appropriate worth.

Having options, and people using those options, doesn't necessarily impact the people that choose not to.

Sorry for the counter-ranting...Just wanted you to know it was a good read and wont be ignored. BTW...still remember your Avatar as "How a Newman SHOULD have been!" <3!! Welcome Home Rufus-san! =3

As if I could ever be bothered by you ranting Mew. ^_^
The old signature of mine... it was actually a piece of concept art for the original PSO. Back in the Mega Drive / Genesis days, Newman were more feral, and as such had high speed, attack, and lower magic. So had PSO went with that, the character classes would have been quite different. Who knows, they might have had Humans as the magic users, or maybe introduced Dezolians or Espers. <3

Last edited:
Nice to see you're still around somewhere Rufu. I really do wish it was easy as simply adjusting rates, fixing some equips, and calling everyone to come together sadly, nor do I really think you think that.

There are administrators that want control and would fight to wrest it from eachother, especially ones that make money off this game. which would cause unending internal strife stagnating any progress. There are those that are completely dug in to their beliefs and refuse change, or in the case of PSO, betterment. On the other hand (as is seen with this server) there are developers and other community members that simply don't have the time, willpower, or resources to devote to fixing this broken dumb game because real life invades anytime they could devote otherwise sadly. Then you have other people that just want to get away from certain sections of the community, and boy are there a lotta ppl that want that from my experience, but dont have better options. There's far too many factors other than the obvious and largest problems, which are that we're a fragmented community since Schtserv's slow downfall and catastrophic dissolution, and the fact that no one will ever, till the end of time agree globally on changes that would better PSO even to the point of attempting to silence dissent or attacking others when challenged on their beliefs.

I think, without getting into a deeper rant. My point here is that, we're fragmented for many reasons, but most of them come down to one actual applicable reason. That is, after playing this game so long, we have different built up wants and expectations from this game, and rather than deal with trying to change someone else's server and opinions we go do our own thing, or we end up in the server that closest fits our wants and needs. This is why despite not liking vanilla many stay here because it's a well run and nice home, This is why Ultima (last i checked) is still runnin strong, why schtserv's making a slow comeback, why Destiny existed in the first place, and why a good number of people have started their own project. It's just a unrealistic expectation to ever think we'll come together again sadly. :\ Sorry if thats a bit more grim and realistic than you might have expected but I hope it's better than a "NO".

Sorry if I missed the point somehow lol, I only skimmed what you said because I'm pretty sick rn.

In all fairness:
-smartlink for hu/fo, get asap
-god/battle, upgrade to heavenly/battle and then v101
-a 4 slot armor, upgrade as needed
-v501, upgrade to v502 asap for taking about 1/2 of ep2.
-a mag
-a 50 hit charge vulcans
-a 50 hit charge arms or slicer, gear up with whatever, tons of ways to upgrade here from needles to dob to branz's remains.
-a 50 hit charge sword or partisan upgrade to yunchange/zanba, excal, tyrell's parasol, and so on as you can
-a 50 hit charge gun or rifle upgrade to heaven striker or guardianna and so on as u can
-a basic frozen shooter for rangers
-basic support spells and attack spells for whoever needs them. Supports are the most important and most common as well.
-a basic demon's gun or rifle (even low level droids can make use of them even if its reduced cause there are plenty of foes you'll wanna cut hp wise)
-a basic arrest gun (the reason you need v501, to stop mean rhino charges and suck in pull magic scorpion drags in ep4) but if you grab one of those xmas kunai that are around you might not even need it). upgrade as needed to holy ray, rifle.
-a basic slicer of fanatic (get this asap no matter who you are if you are low level)
-a basic hell gun. v501 is enough to help hell take out certain foes (morfos is one of the most durable assholes out there but only has 59 dark resist, v501 and hell gun makes a 51% chance hell will strike him down when it hits, which is easy to do cause the damn butterfly only has 636 evp)

Are all you really need to be able to function equipment wise when your level is high enough. Sure anything shiny is kind of hard to work towards but I guess that is to be expected. And plenty of people here do not mind helping people who are new and having a hard time as well.

You're right Nikki, I'm not that in the dark; you know that I know first hand what the Administration of different PSO servers is like. Shithack being a key example of the control and greed that you mentioned. That people dig their heels in is also very notable; there has been plenty of mods and admins that just refuse to acknowledge change even if it could genuinely be better.

Your point about people having different expectations and desires is very true. It's why the different servers come in to being in the first place. However, I can't help but think, looking back... there has never been a particularly open dialogue about this. I don't recall ever seeing threads with mods or admins asking people what they want, gathering data via polls, and seeing what needs to be changed. If there is going to be any hope at all of bringing people back together, surely the first step is to actually have such a discussion.

I hope you get better soon Nikki. It's good to know you're still here too.

----------

Rune - Your point is well made. To make a functioning character does not really need a whole lot; much of that is shop-bought. Slicers are even better DPS once you've got SNS down. Infact, Arrest Raygun, FS, and Charge Slicer is probably enough to beat the game without a massive amount of fuss; anything else like SoF or Hell Raygun just makes it quicker. The slight problem is that the shiny stuff is very nice to have, and is always going to be a goal.

------

ROFLMFAPCOPTER! KNEW He couldn't resist it!!!!! X'D,',',','!

As soon as you posted that Mew, I saw it coming too. It was either going to be Matt or Sodaboy. XD

Last edited:
hah, nice to see you Rufus, indeed it has been a long time!

i also chose Hardcore primarily for the 2x experience and slightly increased drop rate. i work full time+ these days, so i don't have the free time i used to either. i've found a pretty comfy home in HC.

if you're interested in actually playing, the HC community is quite supportive of new players. we'd be happy to set you up with some necessities (including dolls) to make the initial dive a bit less painful.

in response to your post, i really don't want to see any major changes done here. i like the game the way it is, and i think Ephinea's careful implementation of subtle, meaningful updates is a large part of what contributes to it being generally well-liked.

Cool and sincere post. However, I feel like the items are very well distributed and the droprates are good. We even have hunters boost road for increased droprates and events. The most important items are as a starter are easy to get, most of which are charge items. Getting to the endgame I feel should not be for everyone. If you really want to use endgame gear very quickly then you should do sandbox mode. The more you play, the better the reward. The game mode you suggest sounds like Ultima and is quite... communistic I guess in a certain way.

The game mode you suggest sounds like Ultima and is quite... communistic I guess in a certain way.
Never really thought about it that way. I think I get what you mean when you say it's somewhat communistic... but I'd argue that in a game which for a lot of people is rather social, having a slightly smaller gap between the newer players and the vets is not necessarily a bad thing.

There was an argument some time ago, I believe on this server... where it was remarked that the problem with having events and such is that people don't play during the times events are off, and only come back when they're on. Certainly the numbers on this server reflect that; the number of players roughly doubles while an event is on. The Hunters Boost is all well and good, but it's a bit of a snowball effect, in that the only people to really get the benefits are people who can invest the time and effort, and who have the equipment necessary to run those quests to get the boost. For people that don't have that option, it's as good as not being there. The problem is, it's not necessarily a case of playing more providing better odds for items... it's how much time you can invest in hefty grinds. That is to say that me playing a couple hours every day for a year is not likely to get me as much as somebody playing 10 hours a day for a couple of months. Hunters Road is partly to blame for that, since I wouldn't be able to get my score as high as quickly, and therefore wouldn't be able to reap the larger benefits for longer.

Sandbox is a really useful tool for planning character builds. It's wonderful for trying out new weapons on a character and checking their viability. Not to mention that beating things up with a Plantain Fan is quite amusing, and fun. However, Sandbox characters, understandably, can't play with anyone else. Certainly when I was around, I'd see a Sandbox character about as often as I'd see LV30 Grants.

Just to reiterate though, I'm not talking about having a global change where everybody is affected whether they like it or not. I'm talking of having optional choices which people could freely choose to meet their needs and playstyle.

Of course, there are other ways of doing it. I remember at one point making an argument for reassessing some weapons. In the past, "new" meant "broken", but it doesn't have to be. Take Plantain Fan... a weapon that needs 35(?) PDs for the Water used to make it. It's a weapon however which is weaker than the base weapon. Who would ever waste their time getting it? The awful thing is, it's actually a very fun and unique weapon. All it would take is to boost its min and max ATP by 300 points, which would at least make it a fair, force-only, non-charge, single-target, and quirky beatstick. Absolutely nothing amazing, but at least a viable alternative to some other equips. There are loads of weapons that can be tweaked a bit to be more viable, which would also serve to make progression feel smoother and more enjoyable.

Drop rates and such aren't the only way of helping to alleviate the problem a bit.

Cool and sincere post. However, I feel like the items are very well distributed and the droprates are good. We even have hunters boost road for increased droprates and events. The most important items are as a starter are easy to get, most of which are charge items. Getting to the endgame I feel should not be for everyone. If you really want to use endgame gear very quickly then you should do sandbox mode. The more you play, the better the reward. The game mode you suggest sounds like Ultima and is quite... communistic I guess in a certain way.
hbr is a lie, can grind everyday from mornin until night and get nothing the whole month (whole month pw hbr 15 hit lame woooow, 2nd ranked, 1st got more then one uber, and i wasnt that much behind). The more you play: It just raises your possibilty to get better rewards but if youre unlucky you just get nothing.

Last edited:
hbr is a lie, can grind everyday from mornin until night and get nothing the whole month (whole month pw hbr 15 hit lame woooow, 2nd ranked, 1st got more then one uber, and i wasnt that much behind). It just raises your possibilty to get better reward but if youre unlucky you just get nothing.
Isn't it just the same with boosting droprates? The probability is higher but that does not mean for certainty that you get something way quicker

There was an argument some time ago, I believe on this server... where it was remarked that the problem with having events and such is that people don't play during the times events are off, and only come back when they're on. Certainly the numbers on this server reflect that; the number of players roughly doubles while an event is on.
This might be a problem, yes. Well... if you see it as such. I like to play the game whether or not the events are on and it is their choice to only play when events are there. I get the 'frustration' though, as a lack of a better word for it. It sometimes feels not so fair but that's life. You can't forbid them right?

That is to say that me playing a couple hours every day for a year is not likely to get me as much as somebody playing 10 hours a day for a couple of months. Hunters Road is partly to blame for that, since I wouldn't be able to get my score as high as quickly, and therefore wouldn't be able to reap the larger benefits for longer.
A couple of hours a day would give you the option to do a lot of HBR as a matter of fact. Have you got any characters on ultimate by chance? If you want to be more than death weight then a HBR rating of just 12 is already +10 dar which is quite nice boost if you ask me! You will need to grind the hours for more ofcourse but that is just the way it is I guess. This is how games or life works in general, whether it is a skill or a grinding game. The more hours you put into it the better or wealthier you become.

Just to reiterate though, I'm not talking about having a global change where everybody is affected whether they like it or not. I'm talking of having optional choices which people could freely choose to meet their needs and playstyle.
I am not against this per se but it sounds quite too much Utopia to me. There will always be a 'standard deviation' in terms of wealth distribution which also works in MMO's like WoW, and a PSO is also a bit like this. As Mew said, to beat this game you actually only need a few very cheap items and the more shiney ones are not even that much better, if at all. To illustrate this, a charge calibur with 50 hit is worth max 1 pd. It is a lot better than a TSJ in lots of situations (there are exeptions ofcourse) which is 200/300 pds. Further more, changing the game is not always a good thing. To decrease the size of a tennis court because 'some are fat and slow and it would fit them better' would be a bit weird and unfair to the players that are not fat and slow. It might work for a certain group but as you said before, there are not a lot of PSO players around anymore compared to 10-15 years back. Are you willing to divide the ever decreasing group of PSO players even further down?

Take Plantain Fan... a weapon that needs 35(?) PDs for the Water used to make it. It's a weapon however which is weaker than the base weapon. Who would ever waste their time getting it? The awful thing is, it's actually a very fun and unique weapon. All it would take is to boost its min and max ATP by 300 points, which would at least make it a fair, force-only, non-charge, single-target, and quirky beatstick. Absolutely nothing amazing, but at least a viable alternative to some other equips. There are loads of weapons that can be tweaked a bit to be more viable, which would also serve to make progression feel smoother and more enjoyable.

I get this part, some items are not viable at all and are even quite expensive. I don't think SEGA intended it to be this way (might be though, you never know with them) and this is where the meta has evolved. You could choose to change that to make some items more viable (not balance breaking) although the vision of this server is still to keep it vanilla as possible. Here lays the strength of this server in my oppinion. As an anology, I don't know if anyone has ever played pokemon competively but the fact that pikachu exists in the pokemon game has nothing to do with its viability in the over used class for example. Some things are just the way they are and you can better adjust (which is certainly not that hard) then trying to adjust the game itself.

This might be a problem, yes. Well... if you see it as such. I like to play the game whether or not the events are on and it is their choice to only play when events are there. I get the 'frustration' though, as a lack of a better word for it. It sometimes feels not so fair but that's life. You can't forbid them right?

I'd agree with you. When I used to play PSO more frequently, I played it very much as a social thing. It didn't matter whether there was an event or not as far as I was concerned. I wasn't having a go against events, since they can all be very nice and are a welcome change of pace to the standard game. It was really just an observation since you used it in support for their being suitable exp and rates. However, I do feel it does allude to the fact that there are people out there who don't play the game so much when there's no particular incentive to.

A couple of hours a day would give you the option to do a lot of HBR as a matter of fact. Have you got any characters on ultimate by chance? If you want to be more than death weight then a HBR rating of just 12 is already +10 dar which is quite nice boost if you ask me! You will need to grind the hours for more ofcourse but that is just the way it is I guess. This is how games or life works in general, whether it is a skill or a grinding game. The more hours you put into it the better or wealthier you become.

I think this is where perspective comes in to it. If I'm remembering right, one has to complete each quest in the HBR one time to get 1 rating. This would mean to get that +10 DAR, you'd need to beat all quests 12 times. Assuming there's 5 quests, that's 60 quests you'd have to beat. From what I recall, these quests are generally rough ones such as PW3, EpIV MA's etc. In terms of the potential, yes, 12 points is not much... but it's a very tall order for a casual player. Assuming 15 minutes per quest, that'd take me about a week to manage by doing 2 hours a day. Not to mention it's very restrictive, since I'd be limited to those quests while I'm getting my rank up.

My numbers may very well be wrong. As I say, it's been a long time since I last logged on, and the HBR hadn't been around for long before I left. My point however is that it still seems somewhat unrealistic for a casual player.

I am not against this per se but it sounds quite too much Utopia to me. There will always be a 'standard deviation' in terms of wealth distribution which also works in MMO's like WoW, and a PSO is also a bit like this. As Mew said, to beat this game you actually only need a few very cheap items and the more shiney ones are not even that much better, if at all. To illustrate this, a charge calibur with 50 hit is worth max 1 pd. It is a lot better than a TSJ in lots of situations (there are exeptions ofcourse) which is 200/300 pds. Further more, changing the game is not always a good thing. To decrease the size of a tennis court because 'some are fat and slow and it would fit them better' would be a bit weird and unfair to the players that are not fat and slow. It might work for a certain group but as you said before, there are not a lot of PSO players around anymore compared to 10-15 years back. Are you willing to divide the ever decreasing group of PSO players even further down?

There will always be a 'standard deviation'; absolutely. However, that doesn't mean that we have to maintain a large division for the sake of having one. I'm not suggesting that people should be getting RR's and PGF's as soon as they hit LV80, since that would of course be absurd. What I'm suggesting is that the items are becoming increasingly harder to get than was initially intended due to the smaller playerbase, and that increasing the access of these items would pull that standard deviation a bit more in line with what was originally in mind. Not to mention that a standard increase would make the "common rares" more obtainable, which is suitable for early ult, while still keeping the "rare rares", rare. An increase of say, 2x, is not going to have the server over-run with TJSs. Additionally, by keeping things optional and transparant, there's no reason I can see for this to further divide the community. To put my position in to your Tennis Court analogy... I'm not proposing that we limit people to playing on one court, and reducing the size of it to accomodate people. I'm suggesting that we open up other courts, in the same complex, which may indeed be a bit smaller, but that meet the needs of people who don't have the same technique or physical fitness that the people on the main court have. Is it not better that these people have a court to play on, leading to more people playing Tennis, than by forcing everyone to play on a court which is unsuitable for them? At least people are on the court, playing Tennis, and having fun with it. Forcing people to play on that court would just lead to them losing interest in Tennis altogether.

I get this part, some items are not viable at all and are even quite expensive. I don't think SEGA intended it to be this way (might be though, you never know with them) and this is where the meta has evolved. You could choose to change that to make some items more viable (not balance breaking) although the vision of this server is still to keep it vanilla as possible. Here lays the strength of this server in my oppinion. As an anology, I don't know if anyone has ever played pokemon competively but the fact that pikachu exists in the pokemon game has nothing to do with its viability in the over used class for example. Some things are just the way they are and you can better adjust (which is certainly not that hard) then trying to adjust the game itself.

Yeah, nobody truely knows what Sega intended. It's why it's all the more reason for us, the community, to get together and decide. Besides, Sega doesn't really have anything to do with this any more. Sure, they created the game, but what this now is, is not what Sega had. I'd say here that with Pokemon, due to the many types, moves, stat builds etc., any team, with enough thought and consideration is viable. There's no reason you can't win with exclusively baby Pokemon, or with themes like ghost types, or canines, or bears etc. This game does not have that many options though. For us to adjust means simply to grind until we find the item that we need. If there was an item which would serve as an intermediary of sorts, then having that would allow people to make forward progress, and put them in a position where they're still learning. A jump to the weapon that we need may mean suddenly being able to one combo groups, whereas a weaker alternative might be perfectly sufficient, but would still entail that somebody knows how to safely manipulate enemies etc.

I concur, I would like to see a PD reduction for buying spheres or maybe a boost to adding to stats.

I think this is where perspective comes in to it. If I'm remembering right, one has to complete each quest in the HBR one time to get 1 rating. This would mean to get that +10 DAR, you'd need to beat all quests 12 times.
This is falz (pun intented ;) ). In Ultimate you need to have done each quest just twice since completing them will have you get 6 points for the quest (source). On Normal difficulty doing HBR is not worth it, it might start on Very Hard but most of it happens on Ultimate anyway.
I'm not proposing that we limit people to playing on one court, and reducing the size of it to accomodate people. I'm suggesting that we open up other courts, in the same complex, which may indeed be a bit smaller, but that meet the needs of people who don't have the same technique or physical fitness that the people on the main court have. Is it not better that these people have a court to play on, leading to more people playing Tennis, than by forcing everyone to play on a court which is unsuitable for them?
This is exactly where I think it is going wrong. Opening other courts in this analogy is the equilevant of opening other servers with different rules and/or droprates. This will only decentralize the game even further. The only other option where I can think of is to add an 'easy' game mode to Ephinea where droprates are doubled (or halved, depending how you look at it lol) but this might also devide the player base. Are you going to allow the 'normal' mode players to play with the 'easy' mode players. If so, can they trade with each other (that would be a bit odd though). What is the purpose of a normal account anyway if something like an easy mode is implemented, whether or not they can trade?

Further more, Lame d'Argents for example were used to be 20-25 pds back in the 2016 days but they are now 4-6 pds depending on stats. The economy has already taken a hit and will take it even harder if and when drops get even easier than it already is.

There's no reason you can't win with exclusively baby Pokemon, or with themes like ghost types, or canines, or bears etc.
You might be able to beat the Elite 4 but you won't be particularly toptier competitively (as in battling other people). Baby Pokemon simply don't have the stats for it so this is simply fals.

This game does not have that many options though. For us to adjust means simply to grind until we find the item that we need. If there was an item which would serve as an intermediary of sorts, then having that would allow people to make forward progress, and put them in a position where they're still learning.
I am very curious to which items you are referring to. The only one that I can think of is a v502 that you'll need in ep2. Other than that, there are no items needed that are also expensive.

Reactions: Koh
Back