AwayHood

Guildcard
I set up the game with these settings:

1920x1080; Virtual Fullscreen
Direct3D 11; HSAA 4x + SMAA; AF 16x
High Res Hud (145%)
Max Clip Distance

Game is running fine with no issues.
I then downloaded the addons Item Reader and XP Bar.
I've set those up and the game was still running fine, until, and i distinctly remember, i tabbed out to take a discord voice chat, and when i tabbed back in, the FPS dropped.
I don't know why or how, but since then, running addons+Direct3D 11 always results in FPS drops, the game is unplayable.
Even after reinstalling the game and deleting the addons and setting them up fresh and turning off discord and relaunching the game, even after restarting PC and disabling discord and then launching the game, nothing helps.

I then switched to Direct3D 12, but now the game is unstable. It randomly decides to crash when going to ragol, with seemingly no patterns.
Just now i was running to seabed in Phantasmal World 3, the first couple of deaths i forgot to put down a telepipe so i walked through labs and took the teleporter down, on my next death however i remembered to put down a telepipe, took that, and the game crashed (RIP Anti 7 that was on the floor).
I tried to do PW3 mutliple times, other times the game would immediately crash when i try to go down to Seabed right after the quest starts and sometimes it wouldn't crash at all.
I tested other areas too, like Ep1 Forest, game crashes randomly.

Using other 3D APIs is out of question, D3D 8 has no AA, D3D 9 doesn't display models correctly, D3D 9on12 the game doesn't load, Vulkan doesn't load the game either.

I've updated my Gfx Drivers just now, but it didn't help. No idea what caused this and how to fix it.
Any ideas?

PC probably not strong enough for HSAA 4x, try to lower to MSAA 4x + SMAA or just use SMAA by itself.

PC probably not strong enough for HSAA 4x, try to lower to MSAA 4x + SMAA or just use SMAA by itself.
I mean it works without the addons on D3D 11, and works with D3D 12+addons and it worked before that certain point of alt+tabbing on D3D 11.

Highly doubt that
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
16GB 3600MHz CL16
nVidia RTX 3060 Ti
is not strong enough

FPS drops even when AA = none and AF = disabled

Last edited:
I mean it works without the addons on D3D 11, and works with D3D 12+addons and it worked before that certain point of alt+tabbing on D3D 11.

Highly doubt that
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
16GB 3600MHz CL16
nVidia RTX 3060 Ti
is not strong enough

FPS drops even when AA = none and AF = disabled
Yeah, that's a pretty good setup! I have a 5800x with a 3090. I don't have any issues like that.

I don't play so often but I have done testing with addons on different Direct3D API and post processing settings. Never really had any FPS drops.

Maybe there is some software or something that is causing some issues on your build. Running any sort of other overlays on your system?

I say, if you get a crash, paste the contents of the crash from your Windows Event Viewer.

It'll have the faulting module and offset.

Appreciate you a lot for taking your time for this, Soda.

This pc is quite freshly built, about 2 months old, i'm certain i have all the core drivers like CPU, so nothing should be missing there, i'm also certain i'm not running any overlays other than nVidia Shadowplay/GeForce Experience.
I also had Shadowplay on my previous pc, which ran addons on D3D 11 as well and didn't have FPS drops.
And well, as mentioned, D3D 11 with addons was fine on this pc before i alt+tabbed, i wonder what broke inside windows to warrant this behaviour.

As for crashes, when i swapped to D3D 12 for the first time, the next like 5-10 PsoBB runs is when it would crash.
Noticably it also was missing burst loading screens in several spots, i then distinctly remember typing out the /slowburst command, despite have never set anything else for my burst preferences ever, and as far as i remember, after that there were still some burst loading screens missing, but they have since returned after like 2-3 other crashes. I don't remember exactly which screens were missing, i just remember noticing and saying to myself "oh looks like this loading screen is now back, but others are still missing". Sorry for being vague here.
Right now my client seems to display all burst loading screens and i haven't had a crash since.

I guess the takeaway so far, if this happens to any other user reading this, is:
Set D3D 12, type /slowburst in lobby and then crash until it magically fixes itself, also make sure to not have any 3d/video application/webbrowser running a video up for when you launch PsoBB, regardless if it's on main monitor or any secondary.

Here are some crash logs, hope they are somehow useful for you.
Fault offset: 0x00388190
Faulting process id: 0x125c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9147ac27a982b
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Program Files (x86)\EphineaPSO\psobb.exe
Report Id: bea61e27-d2d4-4851-960f-ced1cce92a08
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
Fault offset: 0x003881a6
Faulting process id: 0x37f8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9147bda86f7fd
Report Id: a7462805-1a05-42f7-84e9-f92217a86926
Fault offset: 0x00388233
Faulting process id: 0x1c90
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9147d1bcd278d
Report Id: cfe9e151-b3e9-4a39-8267-06c2a5602817
Fault offset: 0x00388233
Faulting process id: 0xa8c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9147e5db81c56
Report Id: c9df1ea4-efd1-4367-be7e-68f9aabd583f
Fault offset: 0x00388190
Faulting process id: 0x36a0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d9147ea2cc9b56
Report Id: 1b57623b-3067-4ccd-bfbb-2fdd52ec286a

Last edited:
Loading screens are generally removed from the server. They weren't real loading screens--the client would load an asset, render a frame, burn time until the next frame, and repeat this until all assets are loaded. Most of the loading screens were spent burning time for no real reason.

/slowburst toggles the burst setting for the current game if you're the game's leader.
/burstpref toggles your character's burst setting for games you're leading. So you can enable them for all players in the party automatically.

When slow burst is enabled, you have the old behavior with loading screens.

All of those crashes are when decompressing files. This is almost always when decompressing improperly compressed textures (although it could happen for other files, but custom models aren't exactly common). Burst/loading screens have nothing to do with any of this. Really, all fast burst does is removes the 'render frame' and 'burn time' steps I mentioned above.

Do you have any custom textures, character, or model replacements? If so, get rid of them. Or to be safe, install a fresh copy of Ephinea and try with that install. Then install the addons for it, test again, and so on.

Loading screens are generally removed from the server. They weren't real loading screens--the client would load an asset, render a frame, burn time until the next frame, and repeat this until all assets are loaded. Most of the loading screens were spent burning time for no real reason.

/slowburst toggles the burst setting for the current game if you're the game's leader.
/burstpref toggles your character's burst setting for games you're leading. So you can enable them for all players in the party automatically.

When slow burst is enabled, you have the old behavior with loading screens.

All of those crashes are when decompressing files. This is almost always when decompressing improperly compressed textures (although it could happen for other files, but custom models aren't exactly common). Burst/loading screens have nothing to do with any of this. Really, all fast burst does is removes the 'render frame' and 'burn time' steps I mentioned above.

Do you have any custom textures, character, or model replacements? If so, get rid of them. Or to be safe, install a fresh copy of Ephinea and try with that install. Then install the addons for it, test again, and so on.
Hello Ender, i did have the HD Textures mod that somebody posted here, so i guess that's the issue for the crashes here then. So if those return again, i'll just get rid of the HD Textures then...

I did try to fresh-install Ephinea with no other mods and addons, and then tried to run D3D 11 with fresh installed addons (not copied from previous Pso directory), FPS drops were still happening.

Again thank you very much for taking your time.

Hello Ender, i did have the HD Textures mod that somebody posted here, so i guess that's the issue for the crashes here then. So if those return again, i'll just get rid of the HD Textures then...

I did try to fresh-install Ephinea with no other mods and addons, and then tried to run D3D 11 with fresh installed addons (not copied from previous Pso directory), FPS drops were still happening.

Again thank you very much for taking your time.
with the Hd texture pack i had crashes as well , always happening in forest. i replaced the hd texture with the word" forest" in their name by old SD textures and it works perfectly now.
I didn't want to give up HD textures since i like them.
Now only forest backgrounds are SD : i can live with it.

Back