Favorite and Least Favorite Phantasy Star Gameplay Features?

JimmySyrup

Destroyer Of Several Things
Guildcard
Hi, y'all! I'm new to this forum (though have been playing this game series since I was 12 back in 2003) and was just wondering what everybody's favorite and least favorite game features are? This could be from any game, be it the original series, the Online games, or even the Universe series. Personally, my single favorite feature comes from Phantasy Star Portable 2, an awesome game that not a lot of people talk about.

I'm referring to the room customization feature that the game has. Yeah, Phantasy Star Portable 2 gave you your own customizable room to toy around with, and it was fantastic! Normally, I don't customize rooms when given the option. I make an except for Phantasy Star Portable 2, though. You can fill up your room with anything, be it toilets, gym equipment, Sonic The Hedgehog statues, or even Rag Rappy Obama posters! That little bird bestowed upon us so much hope. *Cries manly tears*

I know it's weird that the feature I love most about an action RPG has nothing to do with action or RPG elements, but I still thought it was fantastic. I spent so much of my gameplay just chilling in online rooms with my friends as we all looked at our weirdly constructed rooms. I must've spent half of my gameplay just visiting rooms other people made. It was as if somebody mashed elements of Second Life together with Phantasy Star, and somehow it really worked! I don't know if PSO2 has this feature, but if it does, I may be finally tempted to play it!

Now, it's time for my least favorite feature. The feature in question is Ethan Waber from Phantasy Star Universe. Nuff said! Nah, I kid. My real least favorite feature is from Universe though, which is the upgrade system. I'll be honest, the crafting system never bothered me all that much, mainly because I chose barely to use it. The upgrade system was pretty annoying though. Every time you wanted to upgrade, you'd need items specifically for upgrading. Now, this is par for the course when it comes to the Phantasy Star MMOs.

Unfortunately, every weapon requires a grinder item of a matching rarity. So, A-Rank Grinders could only level up A-Rank gear. It gets more annoying once you realize that the upgrade system is kind of RNG. It's possible to botch up your weapon when upgrading, making it so that you can no longer upgrade it past a certain point. Of course, you can always use save-scumming to get around this. Still, it annoyed the heck out of me, especially when upgrading your weapon in previous games was so darn easy.

In Online, all you needed was one of three grinders and a weapon and that's it. There was no fear of your weapon getting ruined, and you didn't have sit through that annoyingly long upgrade bar screen. You wanted a weapon upgraded, it got upgraded, and that's what made it so good. It's not even that I hated Universe. It had a weird so bad it's good kind of charm to it that made it impossible for me to hate. Still, I could not stand that upgrade feature!

So now, I pass on the question on to y'all. What are your favorite and least favorite Phantasy Star gameplay features?

Ironicly you mentioned psp2. My favorite feature comes from its spuritual successor psp2i. Infinity missions. You can create these to be obsenely hard for a challenge if you do it corectly. Its tied close to infinitys rebirth system.

My least favorite feature? Thats tough. But im honestly going to have to go with weapon restrictions. I feel as if hunters should not be allowed to use mechguns for multiple reasons, the largest being a hucaseal with charge vulcans does dumb damage.

Granted charge/spirit/zerk are broken mechanics as they all use renewable resources to boost damage.

Ironicly you mentioned psp2. My favorite feature comes from its spuritual successor psp2i. Infinity missions. You can create these to be obsenely hard for a challenge if you do it corectly. Its tied close to infinitys rebirth system.

Oh dang, I never played Infinity! I heard it was great though, sucks Sega never brought it over here.

Favorite feature: PSO Battle Mode

Worst feature: PSU's Photon Art system (I'd put the damn air fortress in Phantasy Star IV but it's a stage and not a feature lol)

damage cancel eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
lool, I love it. it's a lifesaver in bmode.

Back