ephinea? and other pso servers

crazywest

hi guys first post, having played on other severs like schthack and ultima ( not played on eden) , would it be possible to get a run down about this server, its history when did it start, also are the rates enhanced like ultima etc,

i must also add seeing another psobb server always intrigues me, im a huge fan of the series and i think back in 2007-8 schthack had over 300 players online which is simply huge for a game like this, that server never recovered from the broomop disaster and after the server reseted, all its player base have run to ultima or to here it looks like, also i dont know if other players feel this way but seeing so many pso servers around today is good for the game keeping it alive and stuff but maybe bad for the experiance personally i feel its a huge shame our very low online population is spread between mulitple servers it's a shame it's not possible to somehow unite all servers cause our numbers combined to could quite easily peak at 180 players on weekends which is a very solid number for a game this old, just my thoughts anyway thanks for any help.

I'm not the best person to start the response, so wait for the other people, more "mellow" people, to respond as well, buuuuut...

Personally, I don't want any notion of combining servers. Some other servers (Ultima...) have a "strange" motion to me what game-play is. (x3-x5 rates, what.) The rates here are 1x for Normal accounts, and x2 for Hardcore. I believe there's x2 exp events, but thankfully I haven't seen any yet....

300+ players
8-10 years ago. I played a lil on Schthack when it had 33x players, the server didn't seem any more lively for a new/returning player, still just as many locked rooms/MAG feed rooms/TTF grind for 2s. I had fun, but still, the number of players barely made a different to me and my friends.

The game is 16+ years old now. So it's almost doubled in life expectancy since then. I'm happy when I log in and there's 5x-6x players, seems pretty robust online to me. After 15 players in a lobby, and 4 players in a room, I'm not looking for 1000s of people with their Dark Flows and their God/Gear. Time has moved on, it's that simple. Other servers have other "pros and cons", but vanilla nostalgia is what I'm here for.

Lol, I'm content with Ephinea as is. A few more people would be cool and all but it's pretty decent as is IMO. notymerge.

I'm not the best person to start the response, so wait for the other people, more "mellow" people, to respond as well, buuuuut...

Personally, I don't want any notion of combining servers. Some other servers (Ultima...) have a "strange" motion to me what game-play is. (x3-x5 rates, what.) The rates here are 1x for Normal accounts, and x2 for Hardcore. I believe there's x2 exp events, but thankfully I haven't seen any yet....

300+ players
8-10 years ago. I played a lil on Schthack when it had 33x players, the server didn't seem any more lively for a new/returning player, still just as many locked rooms/MAG feed rooms/TTF grind for 2s. I had fun, but still, the number of players barely made a different to me and my friends.

The game is 16+ years old now. So it's almost doubled in life expectancy since then. I'm happy when I log in and there's 5x-6x players, seems pretty robust online to me. After 15 players in a lobby, and 4 players in a room, I'm not looking for 1000s of people with their Dark Flows and their God/Gear. Time has moved on, it's that simple. Other servers have other "pros and cons", but vanilla nostalgia is what I'm here for.

thanks for the response, you are right and i was most likely looking at it wrong, 300 + players was many years ago and since we're now in 2016 it's unrealistic to get them kind of numbers again, i've now read the faq and it also confirms the server is basically vanilla which is what im after, i really love to tackle the single player story quests again, btw i didn't want to create a server war i appreciate each server has its pro's and con's i cant stand crazy enhanced rates like x 5 so i will download the game and get started !

hi guys first post, having played on other severs like schthack and ultima ( not played on eden) , would it be possible to get a run down about this server, its history when did it start, also are the rates enhanced like ultima etc,

i must also add seeing another psobb server always intrigues me, im a huge fan of the series and i think back in 2007-8 schthack had over 300 players online which is simply huge for a game like this, that server never recovered from the broomop disaster and after the server reseted, all its player base have run to ultima or to here it looks like, also i dont know if other players feel this way but seeing so many pso servers around today is good for the game keeping it alive and stuff but maybe bad for the experiance personally i feel its a huge shame our very low online population is spread between mulitple servers it's a shame it's not possible to somehow unite all servers cause our numbers combined to could quite easily peak at 180 players on weekends which is a very solid number for a game this old, just my thoughts anyway thanks for any help.

Sup. It all depends what you want to play. Vanilla PSO or modded PSO. Having the servers merge would be cool. But I don't think it'll happen. Some people like to lvl up Vanilla, others say it's boring and want to get to Ult quickly. I just like the community on this server.

Ephinea the server officially started back in August of 2015.
The Tethealla server software has been around for much longer than that. Not exactly sure myself.

The server aims to stick as close to the original Sega experience as possible, but with some QoL changes made.
Things like combo-locked weapons have not been unlocked.
Rates are standard for the most part but have many situations in which they are altered slightly.
New weapons have not been added, but things like event items have been (things like badges and event eggs used as part of server events).
We have 2 additional game modes called hardcore, and sandbox, which you have to register new accounts for if you want to use.
- Hardcore gives you boosted exp rates and rare rates with the tradeoff that if you die without any scapedolls or other reviving items, your character will be deleted permanently.
- Sandbox mode is basically cheatmode. You have access to some cheats in-game, as well as a few other cheats if you can figure out how to activate them yourself. People usually use this for TAing, or for testing certain builds quickly.

it's a shame it's not possible to somehow unite all servers cause our numbers combined to could quite easily peak at 180 players on weekends which is a very solid number for a game this old, just my thoughts anyway thanks for any help.

While 1 united server would be nice, everyone has their own vision for the game, and trying to unite all the servers now after everyone has gotten used to their preferred server would cause more drama than it's worth.

There's also this Forbes article that was written by @KillYourFM where he dives into the history of PSO and Ephinea a little bit. He had a thread at one point asking for all the information at one point but I can't seem to find it. I'll make another post if I do manage to find it.

Last edited:
There's also this Forbes article that was written by @KillYourFM where he dives into the history of PSO and Ephinea a little bit. He had a thread at one point asking for all the information at one point but I can't seem to find it. I'll make another post if I do manage to find it.

That article was a neat little read, nice to see the place is "famous". Huehuehue.

Well, there you have it Craze-san. Yes, Most if not All of our Veteran populace are Schthack Refugees. We were there when Schthack-samas himself was the host and maintainer and we were for the most part .....Happy for Years! It was a Hacker Free environment and we fought hard to keep it that way for everyone to enjoy. We DID have 300+players and had more than a few privately run hosted ships to help with the populace...but it slowly started giving a secluded place for undesireables to practice their craft of hacking Rare items and tools away from the eyes of the Staff while they hid on the Block 2's... so the multiple ships were removed to ease in monitoring. One team in particular (Jaded Dragons) were targeted in particular because one of their ranks went rogue and started hacking, taking his team down with him =(.
Mew's prolly gonna get some Flak for saying this but, ULTIMA for the most part was a server created where the Hackers decided to go after being banned from Scht. XD! Talented players, and passionately tech savy for sure...but obviously more content with being rebels and breaking rules. =(.
Schtserv was later taken over by another passionate purrson by the name of Crono (Eduardo/Eddy). It started off Beautifully and we enjoyed awesome events and server created custom items that both Rocked...buuuut kinda ended up breaking the game if you will. Talented and just as passionate players such as Lee (Grumpy-kins =3) and others would tirelessly try new things to keep an at the time 13+yr old game interesting. Custom made quests, server only items, and useful /commands. But, the MORE they tried keeping us happy, the MORE crap they broke! lol. Item names were getting mixed when u looked them up in your inventory...simply equipping custom items were crashing rooms and players...crashes...LOTS of CRASHES...bringing mew to her next rant...
Why all the crashes and server turmoils you ask? ....MONEY! Maintaining a server and some staff members that liked the idea of getting Paid Real Money for quests and services started bringing the subject of money up like a small cancer. New Host servers to keep up with population demands meant Bigger faster places to play. That required....yes,.....MONIES! So we Donated and Donated and Donated...Desperately trying to keep our little tribe of a server family together after 7+yrs. All in vain at the end...but THAT's a Whole other Rant/thread lol. (mews Still traumatized btw)
DDOS attacks from jealous asshats were constant too...Some crashing us for WEEKS at a time =(. Our population kept getting halved after every crash.... 300 ppl.... 150....80-75.....50....30.....etc...
Bare in mind our population drops are ALL Servers...School Midterms...Holidays...Seasonal Events and changes affect us all. Xmas, Easter, Summer events tend to be the biggest spikes in players. Watch, when Turkeyday holidays start getting closer, you'll start seeing 100+ppl again taking time off away from college, military, work etc. Right now we're in that after event slump...no biggies!

Sorry for the Rant but Welcome to the Forums Craze-san! <3

Last edited:
Well, there you have it Craze-san. Yes, Most if not All of our Veteran populace are Schthack Refugees. We were there when Schthack-samas himself was the host and maintainer and we were for the most part .....Happy for Years! It was a Hacker Free environment and we fought hard to keep it that way for everyone to enjoy. We DID have 300+players and had more than a few privately run hosted ships to help with the populace...but it slowly started giving a secluded place for undesireables to practice their craft of hacking Rare items and tools away from the eyes of the Staff while they hid on the Block 2's... so the multiple ships were removed to ease in monitoring. One team in particular (Jaded Dragons) were targeted in particular because one of their ranks went rogue and started hacking, taking his team down with him =(.
Mew's prolly gonna get some Flak for saying this but, ULTIMA for the most part was a server created where the Hackers decided to go after being banned from Scht. XD! Talented players, and passionately tech savy for sure...but obviously more content with being rebels and breaking rules. =(.
Schtserv was later taken over by another passionate purrson by the name of Crono (Eduardo/Eddy). It started off Beautifully and we enjoyed awesome events and server created custom items that both Rocked...buuuut kinda ended up breaking the game if you will. Talented and just as passionate players such as Lee (Grumpy-kins =3) and others would tirelessly try new things to keep an at the time 13+yr old game interesting. Custom made quests, server only items, and useful /commands. But, the MORE they tried keeping us happy, the MORE crap they broke! lol. Item names were getting mixed when u looked them up in your inventory...simply equipping custom items were crashing rooms and players...crashes...LOTS of CRASHES...bringing mew to her next rant...
Why all the crashes and server turmoils you ask? ....MONEY! Maintaining a server and some staff members that liked the idea of getting Paid Real Money for quests and services started bringing the subject of money up like a small cancer. New Host servers to keep up with population demands meant Bigger faster places to play. That required....yes,.....MONIES! So we Donated and Donated and Donated...Desperately trying to keep our little tribe of a server family together after 7+yrs. All in vain at the end...but THAT's a Whole other Rant/thread lol. (mews Still traumatized btw)
DDOS attacks from jealous asshats were constant too...Some crashing us for WEEKS at a time =(. Our population kept getting halved after every crash.... 300 ppl.... 150....80-75.....50....30.....etc...
Bare in mind our population drops are ALL Servers...School Midterms...Holidays...Seasonal Events and changes affect us all. Xmas, Easter, Summer events tend to be the biggest spikes in players. Watch, when Turkeyday holidays start getting closer, you'll start seeing 100+ppl again taking time off away from college, military, work etc. Right now we're in that after event slump...no biggies!

Sorry for the Rant but Welcome to the Forums Craze-san! <3

thanks for this post, just reading it brought back lots of memories, i actually remember jaded dragons really well knew a lot of their members, so far though im really enjoying the server only playing single player story quests atm so not being very social lol but its great to be playing pso again

thanks for this post, just reading it brought back lots of memories, i actually remember jaded dragons really well knew a lot of their members, so far though im really enjoying the server only playing single player story quests atm so not being very social lol but its great to be playing pso again
Not very Social eh????? *Stalks waiting for u to drop your guard....>=3*

Are you Social Yet? Are you Social Yet? Are You Social Yet? *Bounces with anticipation!* =3

YES YES YES im level 41 now and after completing the episode 1 story side quests i've now ventured online and enjoyed a few quests with random people, if your in a team and would welcome low level scum then pm me !
Awesome Sauce!! Your mew mew will keep an eye out for you! <3

Back