Dreamcast/Gamecube support?

kida

Whilst not a huge priority for me personally it would be nice to one day allow DC/GC connections through Tethella.

Is there any interest in ever doing this?

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
I could probably get Gamecube support going extremely easily. Also with thanks to Dolphin now supporting BBA, too, since I don't have a GC anymore, it might happen.

Dreamcast? I don't think I'd bother.

BellePSO

The list of things I wouldn't do for GC support is pretty short.

Speaking only for myself and a couple friends friends who'll jam out some gc PSO, it'd be nice to have a way to play across the states again; being able to host our own server is practically a dream, too. Just thought I'd throw my voice out there. Thanks for everything, sodaboy.

NDW

03:US/Fodra:02-11
From what I've seen, it seems like there are a significant amount of players from /vr/ who would be interested in being able to play online via PSO GC.

Aleron Ives

There are already active servers for GC, though, so you have options other than hosting your own server. I expect Soda would rather spend his time coding fixes for BB than adding support for platforms that other people have handled already, but maybe I'm wrong. :D

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If people are really dying to play GC, they can either:

• Set up their own Fuzziqer server (instructions in the readme)
  • Connect to JP Izakaya (Primary and Secondary DNS are both 58.183.102.130) -- Note: I heard there is a US IP block here. Works fine from here in the UK though.
  • Connect to US L33tserv (Primary DNS is 173.214.164.235)
  • Connect to Sylverant (needs legitimate serials though from what I can tell, which some might not still have at this point). Gotta register over there.
Personally I think it would be great to have the PSO community under one roof again (as it was during the SCHTServ days), but alas, that's so much extra work for probably not much gain. I'm probably just bitter that the PSO community has pretty much spread out now. :(

There's quite a lot of GC players around though, since the ability to make your chars your own is something a lot of people don't want to give up by moving over to BB. Can't really say the same about V2, those communities seem even more scarce.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Sadly sylverant and schtserv have that mentality, that they should be the only ones and that everyone should be there instead of spreading out. Luckily players have the liberty to make their own minds and decide the server they want to play on even if it upsets the ppl who want to centralize the population.

Schtserv suffered alot from poor communication in that regards, it was often that i saw players connecting hoping they could play with the duzzens of players there, but since they were on BB that never happened, hardly the mods or the GMs gave any pointers on the matter and after a few days the nostalgia would go away and the player would leave the server.

I believe soda should put his efforts on BB, pso v2 or GC isn't worth it and you will hardly convince players to switch servers, even if you do they will appear here for a day or 2 and then leave.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
K_I_R_E_E_K said:
I believe soda should put his efforts on BB, pso v2 or GC isn't worth it and you will hardly convince players to switch servers, even if you do they will appear here for a day or 2 and then leave.
I agree, don't get me wrong, it's just a sentiment I have.

People are free to do whatever they want to do.

Neirene

While I understand the situation with the gamecube and dreamcast, I think the effort should be focused on PSO BB mostly as a game preservation project and also the fact that nowadays people dont own those consoles anymore and just have the access to a computer, plus the fact that not everyone is tech-savyy enough to set up a gamecube online, or set up the dolphin emulator, configure it and tweak all its perks and settings and then finnaly go online.

For everyone in particular PSO BB is the most convenient way to play the game and also the best way to introduce the new generation of players to the game with minimal effort!

EvilMag

Everyones talking about supporting GC/v2 while I'm here wondering, when the fuck is someone gonna fix Ep3?

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
EvilMag said:
Everyones talking about supporting GC/v2 while I'm here wondering, when the fuck is someone gonna fix Ep3?
I would love to write an Episode 3 server. The problem is, the official ones are down, so it's very hard to figure out what kind of stuff we're supposed to send a client and how we're supposed to process things.

You could probably reverse the actual Episode 3 Gamecube client to figure some stuff out, but that's a lot harder than logging packets, figuring out what goes where, and sending those.

EvilMag

Sodaboy said:
EvilMag said:
I would love to write an Episode 3 server. The problem is, the official ones are down, so it's very hard to figure out what kind of stuff we're supposed to send a client and how we're supposed to process things.

You could probably reverse the actual Episode 3 Gamecube client to figure some stuff out, but that's a lot harder than logging packets, figuring out what goes where, and sending those.
Yeah it sucks. :( You probably have a better chance at reprogramming Ep3 from scratch than programming an Ep3 server...

Aleron Ives

We had extensive logs to go on for making the other versions work, but the fact that Episode III was less popular than the core games in the series meant that nobody bothered to log all the packets necessary. There are some logs that could help with implementing a few things, but the fact that Episode III also generates less interest even than the Dreamcast means that the few remaining server developers would rather focus their efforts on the versions that people care about.

That's too bad as I liked EP III. maybe once BB is deemed stable enough someone could look into working on adding GC and or EP II support?

BellePSO

Yeah, I think you all have pretty much nailed it. GC community is small, but it does have options.

Selfishly, I hope that having a vanilla-esque server under Sodaboy's name will unify the fragmented GC population; I would want it for similar reasons that PSO:BB players want Ephinea to exist, I think. I am ignorant of what additional upkeep (post-implementation) that its support would require.

K_I_R_E_E_K said:
Sadly sylverant and schtserv have that mentality, that they should be the only ones and that everyone should be there instead of spreading out. Luckily players have the liberty to make their own minds and decide the server they want to play on even if it upsets the ppl who want to centralize the population.
Aleron Ives said:
There are already active servers for GC, though, so you have options other than hosting your own server. I expect Soda would rather spend his time coding fixes for BB than adding support for platforms that other people have handled already, but maybe I'm wrong. :D

Heh. I have spent fifteen minutes rewording my response here, but it is difficult. Given the above, what is my argument here? I have to roll over and expose my belly because I definitely can't proceed without a better understanding of the state of GC support in l33tserv & sylverant.

Kireek, Ives: GC is handled between the aforementioned servers. Is its implementation close(ish?) to 100% in either option?
If not, then that would be my big reason for lobbying for support from Tethealla.
If so, then it sounds like there is no reason for us to not make use of what we have available already.

If Tethealla is more stable / more accurate / a better foundation for prospective GC servers, and Sodaboy decides he wants to swing it, then hell yeah. If not, then I agree: why reinvent the wheel?

Thank you for the discussion.

Aleron Ives

L33tserv uses Kohle's old software, so it's somewhat incomplete. (Choice Search doesn't work, for instance.) Sylverant allows you to do pretty much everything, although there is no stage restriction for Episode II Challenge yet. (It's on the list of things to do.) Sylverant is also open source (which Kohle's old software that works for GC isn't), so it provides a secure foundation for future DC/PC/GC support, should anyone else ever wish to contribute to the codebase.

K_I_R_E_E_K

Some servers were always more stable and yet players always decided to play on other less stable and/or less popular servers, such as izakaya and l33tserv.
L33tserv had a massive player knowledge as many of the players there were old popular members in the GC community, while izakaya had a massive population that even schthack couldn't compete.

How you convince such players to switch servers is something schthack administration failed for years, they bashed, they complained that these servers were removing players from the one and only server, these servers ignored the issue and kept doing things the way they wanted, because it worked.

Yes, GC support can exist here, players will connect for a day or 2 and then leave because there isn't anyone around, l33tserv and even sylverant suffer from this issue, unless you know a group of players to play with, you are stuck with finding randoms at a random time in a random day of the week.
It's RNG and sadly the odds are bad.