Dreamcast Childhood Returns!

lepsylentil

Guildcard
Hello! Yet another Dreamcast player here, found this site quite recently and was filled with glee.

I'm from the UK, and played the first version and then the Gamecube update (I only ever got to about level 125, though). Being a teenager at the time I mostly played offline (as taking up the phone line and racking up bills was less than ideal).

These days I still play a variety of games, including (for my sins) WoW. I've tried TSW, ESO, SWTOR and EVE too, although it's usually WoW I come back to. I like grind, and roleplaying. I used to write PSO fanfiction (though I never showed anyone).

So far I've thrown myself in there with a HUnewearl and a FOnewearl. I remember the Forces being this squishy, but I died pretty steadily as a Hunter for my first three levels, which is not something I remember! I've since stolen my partner's XBOX controller and hooked that up, although it doesn't seem able to adjust the camera angle, so now I'm playing left hand on controller, right hand on keyboard...

Any tips? Suggestions? Squeeing over classes?

Hello! Yet another Dreamcast player here, found this site quite recently and was filled with glee.

I'm from the UK, and played the first version and then the Gamecube update (I only ever got to about level 125, though). Being a teenager at the time I mostly played offline (as taking up the phone line and racking up bills was less than ideal).

These days I still play a variety of games, including (for my sins) WoW. I've tried TSW, ESO, SWTOR and EVE too, although it's usually WoW I come back to. I like grind, and roleplaying. I used to write PSO fanfiction (though I never showed anyone).

So far I've thrown myself in there with a HUnewearl and a FOnewearl. I remember the Forces being this squishy, but I died pretty steadily as a Hunter for my first three levels, which is not something I remember! I've since stolen my partner's XBOX controller and hooked that up, although it doesn't seem able to adjust the camera angle, so now I'm playing left hand on controller, right hand on keyboard...

Welcome to ephinea :) It's good to see another UK Player, i'm from the UK too ;p

Hunewearl is a good class to start with i think, as they can solo quite well. I myself began with huney, but now my favourites are Hucast and Ramar (thought i don't really play ramar)

In regards to the controller, maybe you can browse one of the controller posts/guides we have on the forum, (I forget where exactly) which have support and advice on using xbox controllers with PSO. I believe people use programs such as xpadder/joy2key etc.

Finally, best of luck and have fun. If you need any help, the community here is very helpful. So feel free to ask questions!

Thanks for the reply! It's a lot of fun so far. I'm trying a Ranger android lady and remembering how easy-mode that was at the beginning!

Eeeeeee! Mew likes you already! =3 We were ALL soft and squishy once dear! No biggies so don't beat yourself up just yet! GOOD news is we has earned an exp boost recently, soooo gaining critically needed levels to shed said Squishiness is a good bet. BAD news is, if you solo early on youuuuurrr gonna get slapped around a bit....again. Unless you feed you mag early on, you'll stand an even better chance...but that of course means venturing out and getting your paws wet with blood....Purrrferably NOT your OWN! >=3. Worse case scenario, create a room with the title of "New player" or "HALP!" and it may catch the attention of a guardian angel type ("plushie" lol) to swoop in! <3
For mew and her xbox 360 pad, the CENTER camera angle is the right shoulder bumper if that helps. dont forget if u molest the wheel on the mouse it zooms in and out too!
GLAD you like it here and looking forward to pouncing and playing wiff you! Very happy you seem like you want to stay....but most importantly..... Welcome HOME! =3

You can change the bindings in game. Just set it to LB (or LT if you're using a J2K / xpadder for a more natural dreamcast feel)

I know someone in real life called Mew, so that might be slightly confusing! Nice to meet you too. :)
Of course, I nipped AFK for a bit before going to fight the Caves boss, and the client crashed, helpfully. Time to go through Caves again, I guess.

You can change the bindings in game. Just set it to LB (or LT if you're using a J2K / xpadder for a more natural dreamcast feel)

Interesting - it wasn't giving me the option to change camera control bindings that I could see, but I'm going to get some software for the controller and have a play.

I'm currently using a PS2 controller with a cheap radio shack USB adapter. Had two of those adapters but one stopped working. I have other good adapters from http://retrousb.com but I'm sure http://stoneagegamer.com has good ones too (under more retro fun). Both have N64 and Stone Age has Dreamcast so you can have an analog stick.

EDIT: Bleh. I tried N64 controller with the retrousb adapter and even after calibrating the analog in windows devices I can only walk and not run with its stick. Guess I'm sticking with the PS2 controller for now.

Last edited:
Back