DirectX crashing?

PurpleBomber

Guildcard
Reinstalled Ephinea (great server btw) earlier this week and have been playing for a few days now, but all of a sudden starting today I've had DirectX crash on me 3 times with this error message:

"The Direct3D device has been lost and cannot be restored. Rendering the game is no longer possible. Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst will now close."

I haven't found any consistent reason as to why it's happening, it's just done it twice with my HUneweral and once with my RAcast in different situations. Are there any known reasons why this might be happening and how to fix it? Thanks.

That can happen for a few reasons. First, in the launcher, disable classic fullscreen. You can still run in fullscreen as long as windowed mode is not enabled. When classic fullscreen is enabled, you'll get that every time you alt tab.

It can also happen if a UAC prompt dims your screen. You could lower the security settings to prevent dimming the desktop (although I believe the rest of the security is actually the same).

The only non-default launcher option I had enabled was the high res HUD, so I'll try setting the UAC down a notch and see if things normalize from there. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you using an AMD card? I vaguely remember the optional Raptr or whatever extra gaming stuff you install on the top of the driver was crashing it some drivers ago. It was fixed by AMD but may have returned.

Used to, but I've been using a GTX 960 for a few years now and did a fresh Windows install just earlier this year so there shouldn't be any AMD software on the harddrive.

No idea then! Something has to be hijacking or modifying the renderer which is causing the crash.

No other overlay or recording software active? Maybe try disabling NVIDIA Shadowplay. You shouldn’t need to, but just trying to figure it out.

Not much we can do if you can’t figure it out, though.

No overlays and not recording, but I'll see about disabling Shadowplay. For what it's worth, I did a full reboot of my PC a few hours ago and PSO's been fine since. Doesn't speak at all to what the issue is/was in the first place though, sadly.

Unfortunately there are quite a bit more than a few reasons that this can happen, and most of them probably aren't going to be understood. If killing Shadowplay doesn't work, try going a step farther and uninstalling GFE. And if that doesn't work, my next guess would be something stealing the focus. You can find programs that will monitor this behavior and then disable whatever schedule is running them. (Well....for 7 you can. Haven't had to look for one on 8 or 10) The monitoring is necessary because nine times out of ten it is a poorly coded driver that doesn't launch anything you can see.

I think this can also happen if your card or CPU throttles extremely hard due to the heat but that is easier to see, because PSO will tank for a moment before hanging into the error.

Back