Consistent Crashes While Bursting?

0Salt

Guildcard
Hi!

Firstly, thank you staff members for the event! Ever since the servers came back online, I have had consistent crashes while bursting into a new room. However, it doesn't happen after the first join and quest completion, only the second. I can play one room and then full non-responsive crash as I join the second. Admittedly, I'm mostly playing PSOBB on a craptop, however, this issue has only shown itself today.

Any ideas? 0Salt is gonna end up as 0+1Salt if he doesn't find that Platinum Badge o.o

All that changed today on the client side was an update to the unitxt. I don't think this would cause the crash. Are you using addons? What if you disabled them and tried to join? Did you make any other updates to your PSOBB recently?

One thing you can do is go into Windows Event Viewer and look at the details of the crash. Look at Windows Logs > Application for the "Error" event generated from a crash. You should see something along the lines of this in the General panel for the event:

Faulting module name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0029793e
Faulting process id: 0x58f4

Can you paste those fields here? Don't paste the other lines because they may contain sensitive data such as the path to the application.

Sure. There were four instances within a 22 min period, all with this error code:

Faulting application name: psobb.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000

There was one a few minutes ago with this:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time stamp: 0x8a32a22a

Edit: yes, item reader add on, persona music pack, no updates in weeks.

Last edited:
You left out the fault offset from each of those. Although the fault offset in ntdll.dll isn't really interesting but the first one could be.

Sorry. Just happened again though:

Fault offset: 0x003aa55c
Faulting process id: 0xe8

Previous breakdowns:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.1110, time stamp: 0x8a32a22a
Fault offset: 0x00087251
Faulting process id: 0x21d8

Fault offset: 0x00044063
Faulting process id: 0x22e4

Faulting process id: 0x1e8c

Faulting process id: 0x1524

Faulting process id: 0xa30

Faulting process id: 0x2074

Looks like it's generally crashing while trying to create the pioneer 2 NPCs (assuming this code is shared with them). Although crashing at that specific offset is strange.

You should try adding an exception for PSOBB in Windows Data Execution Prevent settings:

• Q. My game crashes when I shoot a gun or when someone in the party performs a Photon Blast.

A. Change your Windows Operating System’s Data Execution Prevention settings. You can find your current setting by going to the Windows Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> “Performance” Settings -> “Data Execution Prevention” tab.
    Select “Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only” or add an exception for Ephinea’s PsoBB.exe

Of course this FAQ is referring to a crash while shooting or someone using a PB, but still the only thing I could think of. But the server update for the event today definitely didn't cause this. because there was no client change. The unitxt is loaded only at startup.

Is there anything else in common with the crashes? Do you crash in only one episode or all of them?

I believe that I already have the exception in place, but I will definitely look again.

I crash on every episode unfortunately. When leaving rooms in episodes 2 and 4, it first transports me to an area in ep1 then fades out. So for an example, if I’m in temple and leave the room, I’ll spawn in forest, then despawn before able to do anything besides a step.

I crash on every episode unfortunately. When leaving rooms in episodes 2 and 4, it first transports me to an area in ep1 then fades out. So for an example, if I’m in temple and leave the room, I’ll spawn in forest, then despawn before able to do anything besides a step.
What? Your main post said you were crashing while joining new rooms. But this post is talking about the side effects of using /lobby out of a quest. Is this really what's causing the crashing?

Or is this just a different type of crash that you're experiencing? Crashing through /lobby outside of quest is known to sometimes happen, but I assume this is just tangential.

Anyway, nothing changed on the client side yesterday that could cause this and nothing on the server. If the DEP exception is already in place and not helping, next I would try a fresh reinstall with no customization (no lua, no skins, no hud) and see how that goes. Your crash is reproducible so you can verify quickly after a fresh reinstall whether it's gone or not.

If it is gone, then you can try readding those addons/skins/mods back piece by piece to narrow down the culprit.

Last edited:
What? Your main post said you were crashing while joining new rooms. But this post is talking about the side effects of using /lobby out of a quest. Is this really what's causing the crashing?

Or is this just a different type of crash that you're experiencing? Crashing through /lobby outside of quest is known to sometimes happen, but I assume this is just tangential.

Anyway, nothing changed on the client side yesterday that could cause this and nothing on the server. If the DEP exception is already in place and not helping, next I would try a fresh reinstall with no customization (no lua, no skins, no hud) and see how that goes. Your crash is reproducible so you can verify quickly after a fresh reinstall whether it's gone or not.

If it is gone, then you can try readding those addons/skins/mods back piece by piece to narrow down the culprit.
Yes, it is while joining new rooms, /lobby isn't used in this situation. I was just saying that I experience the crash on all episodes. I'll try the reinstall and move from there since the DEP is in place....

Thanks Ender!

Back