Cheapest device PSO:BB can run on

Scribe86

Hi all,

I am wanting to get a friend who played PSO with me many, many years ago into Ephinea. Problem is barrier for entry. I want to gift them a device in which I will have set up PSO:BB and it will basically be plug and play. Ideally a handheld device would be great but I know these demand a high price tag (I’m using a combination of gaming PC and steam deck to play PSO on Ephinea). But as I’m going to be bankrolling this I didn’t want it to cost me a fortune. I have controllers, dongles, spare keyboards etc to supply but really just want to know if anyone has any exp playing PSOBB on a cheaper device; handheld or plug into television/desktop.

I have looked on back market and found basic mini PC’s as an option but wondered if anyone had any other alternative suggestions. Any would be appreciated.

Ty, Scribe

Last edited:
So I have as recently as 2023 run this game on a laptop from 2002 running windows xp black edition, although I’d hardly say it was that playable lol.

As far as cheap laptops go you’re going to have ALOT of options. But what I would suggest is probably a laptop from around 2012 would do it. The MacBooks from this era sold ALOT so they are in heavy abundance online. Here’s an example one, a pretty decent 2.5 ghz pc for around $125

https://www.ebay.com/itm/226107556649?itmmeta=01HWBKBQFHHYG3SYM24ND2VW12&hash=item34a50f8329:g:310AAOSwHuJmJqPR&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAAwBX+7WGOfHqAbstE57mgmj+uLzdQWZzSv6fJci/gNR2P4qpj2OQFGwPt2Cyn9K3Lilgx8taxWoCgBADIR/0CHOIWP+eNsZZo5Kc5edYMuYTxyiSLYVz9jPUrzYyNAMtTW1EnvGQQbZ5hiOlmT9pEJOCnOV+PIyO3UVWu2n1CnAht2lOU/M2m5ycP7Y/DZe7YUvuFjO3dXmbUcgbp5DWxm1RhRSctOLBDfIxSLp3kCOs+Oyw99JufNjJ+dQhYIOkunA==|tkp:BlBMUJj4rvPiYw

Now before someone comes in to say “whoah lmao you can’t play Ephinea on MAC since like 2016”. And to that I say “yes”

I am implying that you would install boot camp and there are some slight downsides like to maybe have to manually remap keys like the command key, within windows, but not really a big deal, either of those things in my opinion…

Now onto the topic of handheld, this will cost a lot more but I have been using the GPD win 1 from 2017-2023 and this is much better than using a steam deck due to the built in keyboard, however is runs kind of like shit so I suggest using the GPD win 2 instead as it runs much better and can even handle dual clienting.

Now as for the CHEAPEST POSSIBLE set up it would probably be like a rapsberry pi 4 running Linux and using wine to run it, which I think still works in modern day. That would only be like $50 but you’d have to provide the monitor and all the other peripherals. Well good luck and have fun playing with your homie!

EDIT: now that I think about it more I was really focusing on the laptops and newer hardware alot. If absolute cheapness is the main goal I think of you check around local Facebook pages giving away junk you will more than likely be able to find some older hardware for completely free that could run this game easily I think

Last edited:
Not a handheld, but just for kicks I just installed PSO:BB on my Lenovo m93p tiny w/ an i5-4570t (only 2 cores) after seeing this thread. I was able to load up in Forest 1 and kill a few boomas with no slowdown on the default graphic settings. Certainly playable. I think these can be had around $50 or so today on eBay. FYI: Only some have a wifi card as most were used as thin clients by businesses and used ethernet rather than wifi, I had to add a wifi card (very easy and cheap).

Either way, that should give you an idea of the minimal hardware required.

PSOBB runs on just about anything.

I remember playing it on a 2007 laptop with Intel integrated graphics for a hot minute while at work. (Don't judge me.)

It ran just fine!

I think ANY potato PC can run PSOBB as long as you're running it with Windows. Now if you're trying to get fancy with Linux+Wine, you may have some overhead, but yeah... I think anything that natively runs Windows can run PSOBB.

You can get the cheapest thing you can find at the store and it'll work fine.

Back