Changing the Resolution?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by MemoryPattern, Jan 10, 2019.

1. MemoryPattern

MemoryPattern Member

I've searched this entire forum and found a few decent threads attempting similar to what I'm aiming to do but it seems as soon as they have the answer, they vanish.

I took a look at the Registry and used the Ephinea Launcher to try and narrow it down by changing resolutions, starting, quitting, rinse and repeat and found that only NEW_RES is changed in the registry, I also noticed that if you took the resolution options and put them into an array (640x480, etc) the NEW_RES binary value would be equal to what that arrays index would be.

So I did some more messing around but besides this I'm at a loss, changing NEW_RES inside the PSOBB registry key does absolutely nothing, it always starts at the exact same resolution. So I'm wondering if it's something to do with the client and if so, how could I manually change it for education purposes.

2. hooty

hooty a e s t h e t i c 美的 マグ 育成 m a g r a i s e s

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    <strikethrough> Changing resolutions isn't as simple as editing a registry, I believe the code for resolution options is in the exe itself. I don't think you can accomplish what you are trying to do without reverse engineering the client (at risk of ban possibly.)

Best bet is to use the resolutions provided. </strikethrough>

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  3. hooty

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    I stand corrected. Apparently after a little more research they have the resolution separated in the dll here. Still you would have to reverse engineer the dll for custom resolutions.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/support-for-uhd-3840x2160-16-9-in-launcher.8671/

Basically the array you found is linked to the code for each individual resolution option. If you're trying to change to one that exists the launcher should handle that for you.

4. MemoryPattern

MemoryPattern Member

Sorry I think you misunderstand me, I'm not attempting to hack/modify/reverse engineer Ephinea, I am working with the Tethealla Private Server software that comes with the base PSO: BB client, I'm attempting to create my own launcher for education purposes (Wanting to learn, not trying to make another server or anything). It is possible and changing the resolution does change the Registry which also controls several other options as mentioned in the thread I linked in my first post.

As you mentioned by Sodaboy in his post here:
    it appears that the registry holds index's that are changed by the options.exe and then the Game uses this index to load the appropriate setting, this also happens with the Widescreen Launcher, but I feel I'm missing something.

5. hooty

Guildcard:
    Guildcard 2:
    My apologies, I didn't realize where this thread was posted.

Your logic seems correct. Does your launcher have admin privileges enabled? It would need them to be able to alter the registry. That's as far as I can assist because I have yet to play with the Tethealla client.

Good luck, and hopefully someone can assist you!

6. MemoryPattern

MemoryPattern Member

No worries and yeah it does, it shouldn't really need them but did it just in case lol.

7. Zengobag

Zengobag Member

I'm looking at ways to get the game to run at 1366*768 - Laptop resolution. If I find anything I'll let you know.
    I'm also working on the same for PSO without Blue Burst and Phantasy Star Universe/Phantasy Star Universe:Ambition of the Illuminus as very similar screen resolutions or even the same I think.

Will let you know anyway.

I've set post up to watch thread and receive email notifications so I don't lose the thread. ;-)

8. MemoryPattern

MemoryPattern Member

If you're only interested in changing the resolution regarding PsoBB then tofuman created this Widescreen Launcher that has support for the resolution you mentioned.

9. Zengobag

Zengobag Member

Thanks for that. I've tried 2 fullscreen borderless windowed programs and either get it shoved to left of screen with desktop showing on remainder of the right or get full size width with the bottom section displayed off screen.
    I'll re-read this post and see what I can find for you being as you have helped me out. Thank you once again.