Can't press enter at game launch menu!

zovc

Hey!

My friends and I have taken interest in playing PSO together. I tried setting up PSOBB through you guys' installer and everything seemed to be working fine. I made four copies of the game's folder in hopes of being able to run four separate instances of the game (so my friends and I can all play locally), and now when I launch any one copy of the game, the game starts fine but won't let me press enter to access the game's main menu.

Is this a normal issue or is it something weird? I'm going to try troubleshooting a few things on my own, but it seems like a weird issue to have.

I'm running Windows 10, was hoping to control the game with an Xbox One controller, and am currently operating my (HT)PC with a wireless logitech keyboard/touchpad combo. The mouse cursor is visible over the PSO window, and changes to the game's cursor when it's over the window.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a little confused. So you're trying to quad client off of one PC? However, you are having trouble at just one client, not being able to press enter at the main menu? By main menu, are you referring to the title screen?

This sounds like the normal issue with the Xbox One controller hosing the keyboard because of the newest Microsoft driver.

Happens in PSOBB, happens in GTA V https://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheft...psa_latest_windows_10_update_breaks_keyboard/ and so on.

The way to fix this is to rollback the driver or use an older driver. See here: http://www.pioneer2.net/community/i...troller-issues-windows-10-solution-here.1498/

The Windows 10 update in question that breaks it is KB3140743.

zovc

Hey! Thanks for the quick reply.

So I reinstalled and that fixed the input problems so far. I'm going to try to get one client running before doing funny business with multiple clients...

So the client was working, then I turned on my Xbone controller and it's not working... sounds like I need to roll back that update like you are suggesting. I'll try that.

Should configuring the controller in game be pretty easy once I fix this?

zovc

Okay! So the Xbox controller was originally the problem. I'm using a wireless adapter so the only thing I needed to change was my XINPUT device to a HID-Compliant device!

I just configured one client no problem and am going to copy its folder and try to get two up and running. Running 4 on this box (my HTPC) might be too demanding, but if I'm able to run 2 on this and 2 on my gaming computer my friends and I can all be pretty close and still yell at each other. haha

zovc

PSOBB isn't picking anything up from my second Xbox One controller...

Am I going to need different kinds of controllers or is there a way to "dedicate" individual xbox controllers to individual PSO clients?

Soly

You probably can connect the second controller after the first client has started and then start the second client... it "might" work as you want.
Also you should not need to make copies of the folder, just run the game again.

zovc

The reason I'm copying the folder is to hopefully keep from having to set up the game's controls for each player. I'm assuming if I ran all the clients from the same folder that changing the settings in one game (i.e. controls) would affect every client.

As far as your suggestion, that's essentially what I tried (turn on controller 1, launch game 1, turn on controller 2, launch game 2), and both games only recognized controller 1. I even tried re binding to controller 2 in the second game, but it just didn't notice its input at all.

Nikki

meh...
It's an annoying problem but PSO recognizes 1 controller input for however many clients are operating. =\ It annoys me as well. The only way I've seen to avoid this is to start one client without a controller plugged in at all, and it'll recognize only keyboard until its restarted. Then you plug in and get the controller working and start a 2nd client. Unfortunately unless you remove the controller from devices entirely you'll have to reboot each time. One more reason I avoid windows 10 like its the plague that it is.

Soly

The reason I'm copying the folder is to hopefully keep from having to set up the game's controls for each player. I'm assuming if I ran all the clients from the same folder that changing the settings in one game (i.e. controls) would affect every client.
Controls are saved server side... username and password are saved in the registry which will be overwritten as soon as you reach character selection with a new username/password.

zovc

Huh. Rats and rats.

Hey Colette, have you tried using different types of controllers? I have old Xbox 360 controllers in addition to my Xbox One controllers and also have a DualShock 4 controller I could use... That's four different types of controllers if you count my Keyboard/Mouse... If Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers are counted differently.

Nikki

meh...
Huh. Rats and rats.

Hey Colette, have you tried using different types of controllers? I have old Xbox 360 controllers in addition to my Xbox One controllers and also have a DualShock 4 controller I could use... That's four different types of controllers if you count my Keyboard/Mouse... If Xbox One and Xbox 360 controllers are counted differently.

I'm not sure tbh, but I think it'd still recognize the first plugged controller as default.