Can you host Tethealla using an IPv6?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Nathaniel, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Nathaniel

Nathaniel Member

Basically the title question: Can you host Tethealla using an IPv6?
    If I edit the IP listed in the tethealla.ini and the ship.ini using an IPv6, I get an error when lauching ship_server.exe saying "ship.ini is corrupted. (Failed to read IP information from file!)" or "tethealla.ini is corrupted. (Failed to read IP information from file!)"

I have hosted using an IPv4 with no issues, however I no longer have an IPv4.

2. Sodaboy

Sodaboy Administrator Staff Member

Guildcard:
  3. Nathaniel

Nathaniel Member

Are there any known workarounds like a virtual IPv4 with Hamachi or something?

4. Sodaboy

Sodaboy Administrator Staff Member

Guildcard:
    The PSO client only supports IPv4, AFAIK. You’ll need to get some sort of IPv4 address on the net that can forward to your IPv6 address even when specific ports are used.

I don’t know. I think you’re out of luck.

5. Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives Member

You must tunnel the IPv4 connection over IPv6 using a proxy, i.e. everybody who wants to play on the server must use the proxy. BlueCrab was working on such a proxy as a way to future-proof the game for when IPv4 meets its inevitable demise, but I don't think it's in the Sylverant repository yet.

6. Nathaniel

Nathaniel Member

Turns out using a virtual IPv4 with Hamachi does indeed work! If you want to host a private server with a few friends and you're stuck with an IPv6, Hamachi is the way to go!