Can we talk about parry?

Pokmo

Guildcard
I just want to say, I do not know if there is info or not on this topic, but I strongly feel this game has a parry mechanic. At the very least there is a point between enemy level and player level, where the game allows for "advance guard" or parry if you will. I'm not talking auto guards you fools!( your not really fools) I'm talking on purpose.

If I'm nuts, let me know....If not, I have video evidence lol

am I nuts? have a full video just we are limited on upload. If this is a thing, im happy, if not, ill explain my madness more.

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    6.5 MB · Views: 52
There's no active guard feature, it's your DFP allowing you to take 0 damage, or your EVP kicking to avoid an attack (i.e. the enemy is missing).

The EVP guard has a chance to trigger, it's just all about the stats number. This may confuse on PSO because PSO has a lot of action play, a new player may think he/she did something special operation to trigger that because it didn't trigger every time, but it is not true. Another reason why it confuses people is it is a guard, a block, unlike an evasion in the classic RPGs. In PSO, an EVP evasion is a guard, you can think that like a [like you said, parry] in the martial arts. On the other hand, a manual evasion is a real evasion by moving the character.

Last edited:
The EVP guard has a chance to trigger, it's just all about the stats number. This may confuse on PSO because PSO has a lot of action play, a new player may think he/she did something special operation to trigger that because it didn't trigger every time, but it is not true. Another reason why it confuses people is it is a guard, a block, unlike an evasion in the classic RPGs. In PSO, an EVP evasion is a guard, you can think that like a [like you said, parry] in the martial arts. On the other hand, a manual evasion is a real evasion by moving the character.

Pretty much this. You can see it in Phantasy Star Universe/Portable/0 as well when EVP triggers (though not Portable 2/Infinity, which simply has a barrier appear and prevent harm without your character doing a blocking animation). It's just the way Sega chose to display characters "avoiding" an enemy's attack in the ARPG Phantasy Star titles (prior to implementing actual blocking/rolling mechanics in Portable 2, the former of which has to be timed properly to fully negate damage/PP consumption), rather than having an inconsequential "MISS" appear on your character.

Also, as Matt said, the blocking animation can trigger if your DFP is high enough to reduce the enemy's damage to 0. So either you buffed your HUmar's DFP high enough that all of the Boomas/Rappies in Forest Normal do 0 damage, or you boosted his EVP very high/got lucky and blocked two attacks in a row.

Last edited:
Pretty much this. You can see it in Phantasy Star Universe/Portable/0 as well when EVP triggers (though not Portable 2/Infinity, which simply has a barrier appear and prevent harm without your character doing a blocking animation). It's just the way Sega chose to display characters "avoiding" an enemy's attack in the ARPG Phantasy Star titles (prior to implementing actual blocking/rolling mechanics in Portable 2, the former of which has to be timed properly to fully negate damage/PP consumption), rather than having an inconsequential "MISS" appear on your character.

Also, as Matt said, the blocking animation can trigger if your DFP is high enough to reduce the enemy's damage to 0. So either you buffed your HUmar's DFP high enough that all of the Boomas/Rappies in Forest Normal do 0 damage, or you boosted his EVP very high/got lucky and blocked two attacks in a row.

Super happy you guys responded, now that video or gif I posted was when I was first was trying to "master" it. Now I think what everyone said is correct, I'm sure EVP is the reason a character can "block" or "parry" but hear me out....what if there is a window where slightly higher level mobs can still be "blocked" or "parried" but on command? do to stats that would be just under or over the % needed to qualify for a Manual parry if you will. I know in the example showed, it still may seem random, but i have alot more evidence, just don't know how to show it on the forum.
Not only do i have evidence of Manual Guard/Parry but I have also "trained/shown" my current playing partner how its done and they have done it on command as well. again I'm just stating that there might be a window in stats that allow for " Manual Parry/Guard". If I can get these videos to show , I feel as though i would have a more compelling argument at hand lol.

PS. character in gif was level 4, just about new hardcore account I was starting, so I really don't have any thing more then a level 4 stat as far as EVP, so level 2 forest would still very much not auto guard for my character, as well as playing on normal, not single for more mobs spawn.

A Lv.4 HUmar, suppose you have 100 EVP. A Rappy will have about 50% chance to hit you, and a Booma is lower. So it is common you parry both attacks.

So Dimenians in the Ruins have very high ATA (140), keep your EVP under 200 he should hit you by a 100% chance. You can test with this case.

A Lv.4 HUmar, suppose you have 100 EVP. A Rappy will have about 50% chance to hit you, and a Booma is lower. So it is common you parry both attacks.

So Dimenians in the Ruins have very high ATA (140), keep your EVP under 200 he should hit you by a 100% chance. You can test with this case.

Fair, I don't know enough about enemy stats compared to my characters. That may very well be a perfect experiment. or rather even just making sure there is a 100% chance of hit before testing.

There’s no manual parry in this game lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: Wil
When the shield comes up it's EVP kicking in. Pretty sure you can roll an EVP fail but still DFP block an enemy with raw DFP stats (unless they're using a set-damage attack). What happens visually when you DFP block without EVP block? I seem to remember I mistook that for parry long, long ago. But it's not parry it's just different stacking dice rolls. The only other thing you have is damage nullification which is applied via some shields (Three Seals) and I can't remember if that even has a visual effect, but again it's calculated.

The closest thing you'd probably get to a parry is, if an enemy hits you without knocking you down or raising your shield - and then takes just enough HP off you for invincibility to trigger, and you step forward into that situation with zerk response (which would effectively be like using Black Knight Sword special / heavy in DS3 lol). But even that is just a series of events unfolding in the game it's not 'actual' parry. AFAIK PSO doesn't have parry

When the shield comes up it's EVP kicking in. Pretty sure you can roll an EVP fail but still DFP block an enemy with raw DFP stats (unless they're using a set-damage attack). What happens visually when you DFP block without EVP block? I seem to remember I mistook that for parry long, long ago. But it's not parry it's just different stacking dice rolls. The only other thing you have is damage nullification which is applied via some shields (Three Seals) and I can't remember if that even has a visual effect, but again it's calculated.

The closest thing you'd probably get to a parry is, if an enemy hits you without knocking you down or raising your shield - and then takes just enough HP off you for invincibility to trigger, and you step forward into that situation with zerk response (which would effectively be like using Black Knight Sword special / heavy in DS3 lol). But even that is just a series of events unfolding in the game it's not 'actual' parry. AFAIK PSO doesn't have parry

To be honest I really was looking for something like your explanation above. your point has about 3 reason why it can trigger this "parry" even if one of the reasons before doesn't trigger first. Now I know numbers don't lie, but how could this be proven to be the only reason? I'm implying an input can be shot out at the right time... an input not a button. you folks really gave me a ton of awesome info, but deep down I feel like we are missing something, a key piece of info that could really close this one for me... maybe ill have to make a video that has on screen controller display, with a level 1 brand new account....
Like I said, I see all the info, it literally makes sense on paper, but what I do on screen doesn't, so maybe next step is to show you guys exactly what I see and let you all give it a second thought? best way is to make a YouTube video and link it? that dang gif attempt could only be 2 second lmao

I am not a nut I promise, i just enjoy figuring out odd things that's all. As a random note, I see a lot of people have the mentality that only new player will think like this, when in fact I was one of the folks who easily poor 300 hours single player into pso during console days, but I was younger and was enjoying the hack and slash. I come back now with a new eye for detail is all.

The only other thing you have is damage nullification which is applied via some shields (Three Seals) and I can't remember if that even has a visual effect, but again it's calculated.
big colored text that says "RESIST"

Hey all,
just wanted to say thank you for responding! my main reason for even starting the post is so that new players can find more info on this stuff. Whether or not one thinks its a "parry" "advance guard" or what ever, at least we know they can find the info here. when I tried researching it I my self, found literally nothing, so I figured why not ask the current active community this way new hunters can at the very least get a search result when they think about this whole thing.

Back