Can PSOBB use custom fonts? (And is it possible to change how items are grayed out?)

falkenjeff

I have quit the game
Guildcard
Guildcard 2
For example, is it possible to make a modified version of DOTUM that uses capital letters only, install it, and then select it for use with PSOBB?

Second question: is there an easy way to do this?

I just find grayed out items (eg: tech disks, etc) very hard to read on my smaller screen, so I want to make the font "bigger," and I figured capslock would accomplish this. Also open to other suggestions (other methods of making font larger/easier to read, PSOBB mods to make grayed out items NOT grayed out or LESS grayed out, etc).

PSOBB can use whatever Windows can.

Any idea why PSO handles fonts in such a fucked up way?

(eg: I use a tool online to compare fonts, pick something that looks better than Dotum, and then PSO shrinks the font like 2x or 3x so it's unreadable)

I'm not sure if messing with fonts will fix this for me. Other possible solutions:

1) Modify HUD so it is completely opaque and black (that's probably hard?)

2) Modify grayed out letters so they don't gray out so hard and are basically still almost white. (is that possible?)

Wew OCD. (Each "similar" image is in order of progress, with the final result being the last image in each set)

THKGmd9.jpg

JaI7nyt.jpg

8hDtfij.jpg

8hDtfij.jpg

VDpsRb3.jpg

DE6LMKj.jpg

34kHw42.jpg

PDwzwd4.jpg

WNChowI.jpg

pJHvzxe.jpg

HXhoON6.jpg

OznXTbT.jpg

KbfyR2K.jpg

Still might be interested in modifying my HUD (from green transparent to opaque black), or making fonts less gray (probably impossible).

Last edited:
You can modify the hud, f256hyouji.prs (inside data.gsl if you don't already have it there).
Or you could find the color for that stuff... It seems to be part of the code tho, so Soda's DLL might bitch at you
i0SZniA.jpg

kuKjlIQ.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to be part of the code tho, so Soda's DLL might bitch at you

Yeah I was afraid of that. Editing HUD is hard (with no experience) right? Or is it something I could do with paint/GIMP?

At any rate, I think once I made my final edit to my new font, it became a good enough workaround (shoved the numbers over a bit so they weren't getting cut off). Stuff seems easy to read, so I might not need to go deeper into it. I guess we'll see what happens when I get tired and my eyes start having trouble focusing :D

Lol caps. Kinda looks OK.

Lol caps. Kinda looks OK.

No more squinting! I love it!

I just wish I could have figured out how to edit the Dotum numbers, but it was pretty impossible with my editor, so I had to grab some new ones from another font (my goal with the numbers was to make 6, 8, and 9 more distinct from each other)

I wonder if there's a way to extract PSOGC's font from the data on the disc...

Last edited:
@Soly @Ryan @falkenjeff

Hello , i was checking stuff about PSOBB and i came across this thread , so im just gonna leave this here :

Those are .TTF files that have PSO BB fonts on them so you can use them for anything you would like to use them with.

Here's what they look like :
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Enjoy! also i can't confirm this , but apparently those files are directly from sega themselves , and were made for creators and fanart content.

(yes i signed up just to post this)

Attachments

• pso_fontsetv1.zip
    24.5 KB · Views: 38
Back