Best Way to Experience the Story?

I am almost level 20 and have hear that you are supposed to bump up the difficulty at 20. When you do it resets the quest progression. My question is should I beat everything on normal then move to hard or just start over on hard? And should I focus on Gov quests or the side solo quests? Thank you for any advice!

A couple things to note:
Completing the story unlocks a couple of important quests that do things such as; add specials to s-ranks, turn enemy parts into weaps, and hit to enemy weaps etc.
For this reason most people just run then on normal once they are fully built and ult leveled because its faster and easier to unlock the content.
HOWEVER
You might want to consider running all the gov quests on ultimate as well so that you can unlock them because a couple can actually be used as viable hunts/resets. And they have the added bonus of being able to be left and rejoined (custom gov quests when? Lol)

There are a few sub-quests (for lack of a better term) with choices that can only be determined once. Advancing to new difficulties allows you to make different choices since these are generally flagged per difficulty.

Unfortunately (i guess) this is an older game that isn't going to tell you much. For a blind play, you might as well just finish out normal side solo quests to get an idea of things and then look up guides regarding Soul Eater and Ragol Ring. Doing these on Hard and Very Hard can sorta follow your progression. Note you'll have to talk to every NPC in each quest 1-2 times minimum and some additional digging in a few quests to get details. Even then the story in the game is ... well, eh.

Gov quests generally don't add much to the story; they are more like an attempt by the developers to make multi-mode story. Among other "keep the subs going for as long as possible" goals prior to official shutdown. It might be difficult to find people to do them with as a result.

If you're just interested in leveling and gearing up, doing solo/gov quest progression isn't particularly quick.

There are a few sub-quests (for lack of a better term) with choices that can only be determined once. Advancing to new difficulties allows you to make different choices since these are generally flagged per difficulty.

Unfortunately (i guess) this is an older game that isn't going to tell you much. For a blind play, you might as well just finish out normal side solo quests to get an idea of things and then look up guides regarding Soul Eater and Ragol Ring. Doing these on Hard and Very Hard can sorta follow your progression. Note you'll have to talk to every NPC in each quest 1-2 times minimum and some additional digging in a few quests to get details. Even then the story in the game is ... well, eh.

Gov quests generally don't add much to the story; they are more like an attempt by the developers to make multi-mode story. Among other "keep the subs going for as long as possible" goals prior to official shutdown. It might be difficult to find people to do them with as a result.

If you're just interested in leveling and gearing up, doing solo/gov quest progression isn't particularly quick.
Oh ok so I should prioritize doing the side solo missions once on normal then focus on leveling and gearing up? Cool good to know thank you, will not focus as much on the government ones.

Only if you're looking to experience the story first. If you primarily want to level up and grab gear (which is what most people do), you can skip the story almost entirely and just focus on playing with other people and running quests (which will probably end up being Towards the Future :(.) You can run through normal whenever you want to unlock the earlier mentioned features if you don't care about the dialogue.

Back