Basic Guide on How to Modify PSOBB HUD Textures

MagicLuthee

Hello here's a small guide on how to modify HUD textures for BlueBurst.

Guide:

1 - Extract data.gsl located in PSOBB folder

3 - Open f256-hyouji.prs with Texture Manager or VMT

4 - Export texture(s) as DDS

5 - Open them in an image editor that can handle DDS, in our case we are going to be using GIMP

6 - (GIMP) Export texture(s) as PNG, default options should be fine

7 - (GIMP) Open previously exported PNG file(s)

8 - (GIMP) Draw

9 - (GIMP) Export as DDS with BC1/DXT1 (If texture is Opaque) or BC2/DXT3 (If texture has Alpha/Transparency). Generate Mipmaps should not be enabled for UI textures but is pretty much mandatory for environment textures.

10 - Import your DDS in Texture Manager or VMT

11 - Save modified .prs file to a folder of your choice

12 - In order to see your changes put modified .prs file(s) into the game's data folder called 'data' (create it if not present), your file(s) will be read by the game despite it not being "packed" into a .gsl file

Note(s):

- Some elements like the PB gauge fill are drawn by the game, their position cannot be changed.

Useful Links:

PSO Tools

- PSO-Tools (Download Link)

DDS-Compatible Software (Free)

- GIMP (Main Website)
- Paint.Net (Main Website) -- DDS Plugin

DDS-Compatible Software (Paid)

- Photoshop

Echelon
VAL.5

Last edited:
Updated guide to v2
Fixed comment about mipmaps, I don't think they should be enabled for UI textures !

Last edited:
Updated guide to v2
Fixed comment about mipmaps, I don't think they should be enabled for UI textures !
I'm fine up until step 11. Texture Manager will not load on my PC, and VMT will not Save .prs files. It keeps giving me a .pvm or an .xvm. The .xvm doesn't do anything. If I try to manually add .prs to the file, PSOBB either crashes after launching (.pvm) or loads the files glitched out (.xvm).Screenshot 2023-07-31 00-07-52.png

First make a backup of the PRS you're editing.
Then in VMT, as far as I remember, once you imported a texture over one you want to replace you hit File -> Save

I'm on Linux now, I could set up pso tools in a Wine prefix if these short instructions don't work and you still need help.

First make a backup of the PRS you're editing.
Then in VMT, as far as I remember, once you imported a texture over one you want to replace you hit File -> Save

I'm on Linux now, I could set up pso tools in a Wine prefix if these short instructions don't work and you still need help.
Once I import the DDS in VMT, the image appears properly in place of the Image I wanted to edit. When I choose "File > Save", instead of simply overwriting the open .prs file, a Save As window appears. The only file types this program will Save As are PC Format (.pvm), BB Format (.xvm), AFS PC Format (.afs), AFS BB/Xbox Format (.afs), GC Format (.gvm), and AFS GC Format (.afs).

I also noticed, when I Import, the information on the Image I import is different than the other Images.
normal images:
0example1.png
imported image:
0example2.png

Got it! I was importing improperly. I was importing DC/PC format instead of importing Xbox/BB format.
Importing properly with Xbox/BB format in addition to "Save as type: BB format", manually force-saving as .prs instead of .xmv fixed the problem!

Back