Back to the game we love.

Wulfen

Ello all!

My brother and I put in thousands of hours into PSO ep 1and2 + on the GC as kids and then bunches into universe as well but never had the same love that we did for the original.

We are in our twenties now and came to the shocking revelation that there are fully functional servers for PSO BB.

Long story short, we are deciding between what server to join and to me Ephinea looks to have the most to offer, a good player base and updates.

I know this is the ephinea forum, but without being biased, what are the major differences in servers like Ephinea, Ultima and Eden? Just need to know which one fits the best before we dedicate a sh** ton of hours

Well, this is probably the purest and, IMO, most polished version of a private PSO server. It aims to provide a vanilla experience with countless creature comforts that most people agree should have been implemented into the original game to begin with.

You also get the option for Hardcore Mode (death without a scape = character wipe) or Sandbox mode (create any item for fun). I play Hardcore exclusively now, and Normal and Hardcore players can play together. Hardcore gives you 2x exp and better drop rates.

There's also a comparatively strong playerbase here.

I haven't spent a ton of time on Ultima, and the last time I was on Eden was like four years ago, and I generally only had like 2 people to play with at any given time.

You guys should stay here.

EDIT: We are also about to debut PSO Seasons here at Ephinea, starting on the 12th.

https://www.pioneer2.net/community/threads/introducing-pso-seasons-on-ephinea.9285/

Last edited:
One of the things I love most about this server is that the people here are knowledgeable. On other servers, it's harder to find people who really play the game to its fullest extent, though that's just my opinion and probably can't quantitatively be compared to Ultima or Eden.

Let's put it this way: I didn't know anything about PSO before I came to this server, despite the fact that I had over a thousand hours into the game.

This is the same PSO you know and love with major quality of life improvements that bring this game in closer with the times as well as (more) balanced drop charts designed to make playing on niche IDs and underplayed episodes more desirable. No crazy custom items or any nutso 500% EXP boosts either. You also have the option to turn off all the extra boosts via a server command if you're a purist type, too. You can read about all the neat changes on the website.

As you can see it's all about building the original experience except better. With that, I hope to see you around.

Last edited:
Well that all sold me. We are downloading right now, on both our computers for whatever reason it is reading the software as a trojan virus? I am assuming it is because it is a file that is encrypted a certain way but want to make sure that is normal before I conclude the download.

Don't worry about it; it's not a problem. Download away.

Often PSOBB triggers a false positive on antivirus...in this case just whitelist it and carry on.

I'm not sure if the other servers have it or not, but honestly the biggest thing that sold me to this server was the PSO2 drop system. That and I remember a lot of faces on here from Schts, but even if the other servers did have the pso2 drop system, this one is closer to the vanilla then the others and because of that it's much easier to get back into.

Even though there might be some things I wished was added here that was on scht's (like the stronger FO boost on weapons, and especially the bringer's mechgun...favorite weapon by far lol).

But you'll enjoy your time here. There is a lot of people around on the discord as well so it'll be easy to find people to talk to on there or here. Hope to see you both around some time.

As far as other servers go I've always enjoyed the idea of buffing some of the character classes.

This server has had some tiny buffs as well. Rambling May and Girasole with hit for example of stealth buffs. Clio on Humewearl for an example of a direct buff.

However a thing most servers don't get or just don't want to deal with the elephant in the room is that pso is actually ok balance wise for the most part. Every class can play fine for The most part endgame. The real issue is that it some of the classes are just stronger than others by a good amount and really if people had wanted to adress balance they should do some nerfs rather than only buff as well. The difference in attack power between the 1st strongest class in the game and the 2nd strongest is 250. Next the 3rd strongest is at a 50 point difference but is a ranger. Said ranger has a good armor he can wear at almost no cost to his performance that puts his atp at a base 1385 vs Humar's base 1397...

So the 2nd strongest class and the 3rd strongest class might as well be tied.

Humar vs Ramar is 1397 vs 1260 in attack and 200 vs 250 (but really it's 200 vs 270 til level 180 ata and not needing a smartlink for one of them). Humar gains hp faster than Ramar so he will hit certain milestones faster thus can fight in some areas without as much risk sooner but Ramar catches up and beats him by a good amount hp wise endgame. Weapon wise ranger weapons > hunter weapons and not that it matters when rangers can use a lot of the same hunter weapons anyway as well but hunters can't use certain ranger weapons.

Hunwearl vs Ramarl isn't any better (in fact it's worse for Huney). Hucaseal vs Racaseal is an odd situation but both classes are trying to be different from their mold anyway with various success so no comment on them.

Really the only good comparison is hucast vs racast but both of those are broken in their classes as well and both of would be fine still if they had a atp nerf.

Great read this, I remember when I was around 14-15 years old and the official blue burst servers just closed down, it was a terrible day I loved this game and then a few months later I saw a video on YouTube about connecting to schthack pso private server, being a bit naive I didn't just Google it but I followed the connection guide in the video you had to change your ip address and what not connect no client back then, and then I remember logging in and seeing almost 300 players online it was incredible, and for a few years the game was pure heaven until schthack himself parted and crono replaced him which was fine at first but then came the dark times, broomop a serial hacker ddoss the shit out the server bringing it to its knees community back lash was horrible lee the admin canceled the Xmas fiasco event another horrible guy and then the server never really recovered after that couple of months after maybe a year crono screwed the servers and everyone's account was lost including my level 200 foney schthack has never recovered since but I still do play there since there's a great gamecube community there over 10 players online!

I have however played on epthina shortly in the past and the community here is fantastic you've choose probably the best server for blue burst

Ello all!

My brother and I put in thousands of hours into PSO ep 1and2 + on the GC as kids and then bunches into universe as well but never had the same love that we did for the original.

We are in our twenties now and came to the shocking revelation that there are fully functional servers for PSO BB.

Long story short, we are deciding between what server to join and to me Ephinea looks to have the most to offer, a good player base and updates.

I know this is the ephinea forum, but without being biased, what are the major differences in servers like Ephinea, Ultima and Eden? Just need to know which one fits the best before we dedicate a sh** ton of hours
Wulfiiiiiies! *POUNCES and hugs!* Finally met your friend you got to join us too! <3! In all seriousness...There ARE no 'other' servers lol. Yes, there's those u mentioned...but when it really comes down to Quality of living/playing and being part of a loving 'family...ARE there Any other PSO providers that can give you the warm fuzzies you remember and crave? Hmmmmmmm? =3

Last edited:
There are some neat commands too, like you can change your character name and sectionid before you hit lvl 20, so you don't have to make a name just to get the id you want. There is a shared bank between characters in addition to their personal banks, so you don't need 2 GC controllers in multimode to trade items with yourself. PSO2 drops is amazing, no need to worry about being the first to the loot since everything that drops is yours and yours alone. Many more little tidbits like this.
Oh, damage cancel caused by techs was fixed recently, so you can use attack techs without throwing off the attacks of your teammates. Super awesome, now FOs can get into the fray and get nasty with spells.

Back