Automatic max-tekk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ade

;3
Hi Team,

I think it would be cool to add a feature to the Tekker (or perhaps to Coren if it won't work with the Tekker) to automatically max-tekk an item for 10k Meseta. This would create an additional Meseta sink and would also save the time of playing "Menu Star Online."

Thoughts? :)

I'd pay it everytime tbh.

Reactions: Ade
Hi Matt,

I was discussing this idea with Roo and he said I should mention that people wouldn't have to bother you to fix mis-tekked items if you added this. Eh? :D

Matt shouldn’t be “fixing” mis tekked items in the first place. If he has been doing this, I’ll need to have a talk with him. He should know better than that.

Matt shouldn’t be “fixing” mis tekked items in the first place. If he has been doing this, I’ll need to have a talk with him. He should know better than that.

Whoops o.o

All that aside, Soda, do you like the idea? :3

I'm pretty sure I had this in information about the server and thought it was in the FAQ (if Matt removed this, I will have to talk to him about this as well), but administrators shouldn't be creating items for any users, full stop. We don't restore, fix, or anything like that for anybody.

If there has been some sort of preferential treatment to where Matt has been fixing items that users have mistakenly tekked wrong, that is a problem.

Matt shouldn't be using the item creation at all, unless it's prizes for an event that wasn't distributed, etc.

Also, no, I hate the idea.

I'm pretty sure I had this in information about the server and thought it was in the FAQ (if Matt removed this, I will have to talk to him about this as well), but administrators shouldn't be creating items for any users, full stop. We don't restore, fix, or anything like that for anybody.

If there has been some sort of preferential treatment to where Matt has been fixing items that users have mistakenly tekked wrong, that is a problem.

Matt shouldn't be using the item creation at all, unless it's prizes for an event that wasn't distributed, etc.

Also, no, I hate the idea.

Oh...sorry to hear that you don't like the idea. I'll keep 'em coming. Throw enough jello at the wall and something will stick :D

Also, please don't stop Matt from restoring items that drop inside rocks / unreachable places at least ;-;

Most loot games like Diablo 3 fix this now. If an item drops in an unreachable place it spawns right by the player on Diablo 3, so I don't think allowing Admins to restore THOSE items, at least, is bad.

I saw your status, btw, Soda. I just got D3 for PS4 like a month ago so I could have a nice co-op game to play with my buddy and now I'm hooked on it, too xD

@Matt : When you read this, I'm sorry. I thought this was widely known and I hope I didn't cause a scuffle...

Also, please don't stop Matt from restoring items that drop inside rocks / unreachable places at least ;-;

Most loot games like Diablo 3 fix this now. If an item drops in an unreachable place it spawns right by the player, so I don't think a QoL update like that is bad :(
Most loot games like Diablo 3 also don't have the GMs create you a new item when you enchant your item wrong as well. You suck it up and find a new item or try to enchant it again.

Anyhow, about the unreachable places, I can actually look into making items not drop in unreachable places if I can get a list of coordinates or dead zones for particular maps. I can have the server adjust the coordinate it sends out for the drop. But, we will see.

Most loot games like Diablo 3 also don't have the GMs create you a new item when you enchant your item wrong as well. You suck it up and find a new item or try to enchant it again.

Anyhow, about the unreachable places, I can actually look into making items not drop in unreachable places if I can get a list of coordinates or dead zones for particular maps. I can have the server adjust the coordinate it sends out for the drop. But, we will see.

Cool. But for NOW, at least, would it be okay for Matt to restore those? Pretty please? Right now it requires a screenshot that clearly shows the unreachable item, so nobody can try to bamboozle anyone.

I think an issue with this is for places like Crater, different quests have different dead zones. A lot of Crater's map designs in quests involve using rocks to block off paths or flat-out not going to areas that items are able to drop in. (Crater Interior is particularly bad about this IIRC)

Something I thought of as a middle ground...

Would it be possible to make the tekker default to "no" instead of "yes" ? That would solve a large amount of mistek issues, if people can avoid falling victim to muscle memory, anyway.

I can have the server adjust the coordinate it sends out for the drop. But, we will see.

That would be amazing lol, also Agastya's idea would be ok, but switching it after so long might make a number of other people fuck up their tekks lol, so its a double edged sword.

That would be amazing lol, also Agastya's idea would be ok, but switching it after so long might make a number of other people fuck up their tekks lol, so its a double edged sword.

Due to over a decade of muscle memory, changing this now would cause more mis-tekks than it would prevent. Best not to change it. I'm absolutely certain of this.

I'm just having a difficult time understanding why there's hesitation involved in trying to add an expensive quality of life option.

Like, nobody likes tekking. It's stressful, and you can immediately trash the weapon you've been working hard to find in the blink of an eye just because you sneezed or something. We have all sorts of other QoL changes here - why not a tekker one as well?

Like, even if it costed a Photon Drop or Photon Crystal or something, people would absolutely use it on items they care about just to avoid any potential risk. Tons of things can go wrong - dropped inputs, controller deadzone issues, sneezing, twitching... it's just far too punishing, and it's absolutely heart-breaking.

Reactions: Ade
Dramatic.

I'm thinking of events where you find like 70 or 80 good rares during an event. $10k per tekk would cost $800k meseta, which is a decent sink, instead of spending 2 to 3 hours tekking all the items and hitting "no" over and over again. I think a PD would be a bit too expensive.

Now, I would rather add an automatic max-tekk that costs a PD (rather than add nothing at all) just for the sake of preventing a massively heartbreaking situation like LKA said above.

The tekking mechanic in PSO was a big mistake on Sega's part. I get the excitement of the "special weapon," but they should have made the items drop with the highest % possible so that tekking has no effect on it. (Instead of giving you a chance to permanently ruin your item for no reason.) It was a poor design choice on their part.

I think it's important to look at this objectively. The automatic-max tekk, fixing mistekked items, and retrieval of unreachable items have all been shot down now due to these things being "hand-holding," but that distinction seems arbitrary.

Sega made some very poor design choices with PSO. Ephinea has fixed many of these via quality of life improvements. I think everyone would agree that Sega's initial bank design, in which each grinder and material occupied its own bank slot, was poorly designed and irresponsible. Why is the same not being said for the tekking system and unreachable items?

We can't fix all of Sega's poor design choices (ie. hit boxes and game mechanics) that would require the source code, so I say we fix everything else that we can. Calling some things "hand holding" and other things "quality of life" is arbitrary. All of these things are quality of life improvements.

Furthermore, the criteria to have an unreachable item awarded to the player are very strict to prevent cheating. But if someone sees a once-in-a-lifetime drop on their drop reader, is unable to reach it, and we tell them, "Tough shit," that's going to be extremely demoralizing and de-motivating for them to play. These things happen VERY occasionally, so it's not going to hurt the economy at all.

My two cents. Thanks.

(Also, we wouldn't need to worry about fixing mis-tekked items if we added an expensive automatic max-tekk option. Everyone would use it. And money sinks are good for the game's economy.)

I feel like we've back-pedaled here in terms of progress. =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back