About adding other players

RedStar

I recently started my own server so me and some buddies can have some fun with anything we want kinda like a sandbox. I'm able to log on 3 accounts with no problems. But one of my friends is having trouble. I sent the files but for some reason it says connection to patch server failed or somethin. I'm using windows 7 and they are using windows 8. Any idea on how to fix this? (kinda noob to the whole server thing so simple explanations appreciated xd)
Edit* Not sure if this makes a difference but we live in different countries.

RedStar

Nope that didnt help. I opened the ports and HEX editeded their client with my external IP and they still get a black screen. I think I managed to mess it up even more

Mylandra

This may be straightforward for most people, but did you change the ip address in the tethealla.ini and ship.ini files?

If so, are you testing using the same edited client you've sent to your friends?

RedStar

Ok here is where im at.
When I first made the server i had no problems logging on 3 accounts (in my house using the same wifi)
But when one of my friends out of country wanted to play I looked up how to let others outside my wifi play.
It seemed pretty easy. Edit the HEX in the client I was going to send them with my external ip then open the ports on my router/firewall so
I can accept outside connections. I did everything right but im not 100% sure I opened the ports on my router so I completely turned off my firewall.
It still didnt work and I think its because I didnt open the ports on my router right. When I try to manually add the ports It will only let me add outbound and inbound and I have no idea what to put there. (Tried messing around with the numbers but ended up messing up my internet for a few hours) Is there a program to open ports?

Mylandra

Just to make sure, the hex edited ip address is your wan ip and not your lan ip, right? (Lan usually starts with 192.168)
Sorry for bothering you with these stupid questions, it's just that one never knows how tech savvy other people are lol

If you pm me the wan ip address, I can test the ports and give you back the result (if you need to).
This will at least confirm if the problem is on your end or on his side.

Sodaboy

Administrator
Staff member
Mylandra said:
Just to make sure, the hex edited ip address is your wan ip and not your lan ip, right? (Lan usually starts with 192.168)
Sorry for bothering you with these stupid questions, it's just that one never knows how tech savvy other people are lol

If you pm me the wan ip address, I can test the ports and give you back the result (if you need to).
This will at least confirm if the problem is on your end or on his side.
LAN can also start with 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x - 172.31.x.x

But, yeah, this sounds like a pretty clear case of not hex editing the client with the WAN IP and/or not forwarding the public ports in your router to your private IP address in your network.

- First things first, you need to check the EXE and make sure the IP address inside of it is your WAN IP, you can get your WAN IP from www.whatismyip.com

- Secondly, make sure the PC hosting the server has a static private IP address so that it's private IP address never changes when requesting DHCP from your server. (Not necessary, but I highly recommend this step! You can manually set an IP address out of your router's DHCP range onto your network card OR you can set a static reservation based on the MAC address of your PC's network card.)

- Last, go into your router's admin page and forward the required ports for the patch server, login server and ship server to your private IP address. (You'll have to look at your router's documentation on how exactly to do this, but it should have examples or you should be able to find examples for your router online.)

Mylandra

By the way, here's a list of all the ports you should forward based on the default config:

I think that's all of them.