AMD GPU Flickering

Bambo

Guildcard
Being a new player I just discovered that while playing on full-screen there were slight black flickers between frames (even on borderless window mode) - though playing windowed mode produced no flickers (but not to my taste).

Fix: Open Radeon Settings and create a profile for 'psobb.exe' and turn 'AMD Freesync' to Off.

I assume this is only a problem for those with an AMD GPU and a Freesync monitor, however I could be wrong so just putting this out there.

Cheers.

Are you playing with the Draw-distance maxed out?

if so this is a new feature to the game and Soda said:
Probably not. Earlier today tofu noticed that on really high draw distances, there can be flickering or flashing due to what he thinks is lack of texture memory. He’s trying to find a way to fix that but you may have to back off the clip distance a bit if it annoys you.

Quote From: This Thread

It also could be you have set something up wrong. Double check you're using the correct resolution, you have the Ephinea.dll in your whitlisted/exceptions of AV's, and if your using any add-ons to ensure they are updated and installed correctly.

Being a new player I just discovered that while playing on full-screen there were slight black flickers between frames (even on borderless window mode) - though playing windowed mode produced no flickers (but not to my taste).

Fix: Open Radeon Settings and create a profile for 'psobb.exe' and turn 'AMD Freesync' to Off.

I assume this is only a problem for those with an AMD GPU and a Freesync monitor, however I could be wrong so just putting this out there.

Cheers.
Yeah, I've had this issue since I started playing on ephinea back in 2015, back then AMD didn't have a per game Freesync option so it was pretty annoying having to switch Freesync off just to play pso every time. Glad the new drivers allow us to have a Freesync per profile option now.

It also could be you have set something up wrong. Double check you're using the correct resolution, you have the Ephinea.dll in your whitlisted/exceptions of AV's, and if your using any add-ons to ensure they are updated and installed correctly.
Has nothing to do with the draw distance. He's just providing a solution to it. It's an Adaptive Sync (AMD Freesync, Nvidia Gsync, though I'm not sure if G-sync monitors have this issue) issue with PSOBB because PSO has a 30FPS frame cap. Most Freesync monitors have a Freesync range of 30 - 144hz, so when you have Freesync Enabled and play a game that is locked at 30fps (but actually bounces around 28-30fps) you're going to have Freesync constantly disabling itself under 30fps and then enabling itself at 30fps which will cause the Freesync monitor to flicker. AMD allows anyone to make a custom profile for games and start PSO with freesync disabled while still having it enabled in other games, so it's an easy fix like @Bambo provided.

I was aware of this problem and tinkered with settings, but the result was still the same - the only solution was to create a profile in Radeon Settings and to switch Freesync off.

Yeah, I've had this issue since I started playing on ephinea back in 2015, back then AMD didn't have a per game Freesync option so it was pretty annoying having to switch Freesync off just to play pso every time. Glad the new drivers allow us to have a Freesync per profile option now.

Has nothing to do with the draw distance. He's just providing a solution to it. It's an Adaptive Sync (AMD Freesync, Nvidia Gsync, though I'm not sure if G-sync monitors have this issue) issue with PSOBB because PSO has a 30FPS frame cap. Most Freesync monitors have a Freesync range of 30 - 144hz, so when you have Freesync Enabled and play a game that is locked at 30fps (but actually bounces around 28-30fps) you're going to have Freesync constantly disabling itself under 30fps and then enabling itself at 30fps which will cause the Freesync monitor to flicker. AMD allows anyone to make a custom profile for games and start PSO with freesync disabled while still having it enabled in other games, so it's an easy fix like @Bambo provided.

You're exactly right - my monitors Freesync range is from 30-140 fps - and your theory must be correct (having played games with a 30 frames lock had the same issue now I think about it). However I'm not sure why Freesync would work with the game in windowed mode and not fullscreen, I'll do some more research about it and update here when I can, though it would seem the majority of gamers use Nvidia GPUs.

However I'm not sure why Freesync would work with the game in windowed mode and not fullscreen, I'll do some more research about it and update here when I can, though it would seem the majority of gamers use Nvidia GPUs.

Might have to do with how AMD allows for borderless Freesync after the Adrenalin drivers. Before Adrenalin Freesync only worked on Exclusive Fullscreen (or maybe it was one of the last Crimson releases prior to Adrenalin).

Back