Gaming for you in 2017

Rune

Guildcard
What did you play this year that you liked? (doesn't have to come out this year for it to count)
What did you have mixed feelings on?

-Shantae: Friends to the End DLC
I got this for free cause I backed HGH when it was 1st put on on Kickstarter. This is the better of the 2 DLCs that came out for this game though. Granted its pretty much a harder base game (from the already hard mode of the base game but doesn't drop the ball 1/2 way through it) but with different characters to play at the same time and with it overall made harder for you (platforming) but yet at the same time has easier parts in it (bosses in general are no match for you as long as you use the Maria Castlevania style bird attacks and don't get hit much on most of them).

I could totally see why someone wouldn't like this but I liked it to a point. Wayforward was a bit lazy in how they did their DLC though. I backed it and got 20 or hours out of it for all the DLC and extras and for one who didn't back it it will ring up a bit on the price end.

-Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap remake
pretty much a fresh coat of paint for an old classic with a few modern features (auto saving, which tbh sort of makes the game a lot easier). It has new levels for extra stuff though as well that are platform hell and so on. Also appears to have some mods for it that I should get into.

Really I'd rather have a remake of ML, ML3, or ML4 over the Dragon's Trap but this is quite fine.

If Final Fantasy 5 and 6 had their remakes done with love like this was instead of what those iOS ports look like people would have loved them.

-Tales of Berseria
I haven't played a Tales game really since GC days. I liked this a lot. Got 100+ hours in it and still have plenty to do if I want to go back to it.

-A Hat in Time
Waiting for the last of the DLC to come out. If it is anything like Shantae's it will be out fully near the end of 2018 though. Considering how this game is a 3D platformer that IMO turned up good unlike Yooka-Laylee lets hope it will be better in finishing up its goals as well. Either way got 20+ hours from it from workshop stuff and main game.

-Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I played it a lot, what can I say? Didn't get the DLC for it though.

Haven't played some games this year that I want). Beyond BotW I haven't supported Nintendo at all as well (I want some games on the switch but I don't want a switch, at least at the prices being offered). If I get a switch they better let me port my BotW game and info to it or something like what they did with virtual console games from wii to wii u. Same with any ports they want to bring over. Which from what they seem to be doing (MK8) isn't a go so fuck em.

- The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Cool, wholesome mmo with ps1 style graphics. Much deeper plot than I was expecting, still haven't played much of 2nd one though.

- Starcraft: Remastered
My favorite release of 2017. A M A Z I N G

- Zelda: Breath of the Wild
I played through this at a friends house. I think it's a step up from Skyward Sword, but I didn't enjoy either. Need more Twilight Princess aesthetic for me to be interested in Zelda again.

- Vanilla WoW on LightsHope (formerly Elysium)
I enjoyed this a lot while levelling. After hitting 60, the game got a little too elite for me. Raiding, while enjoyable, became a chore because every guild felt a lot more like a competition on dps/heal meters than a team effort to get cool gear. I still log on once in a while but Vanilla WoW community is very tiring.

- PSO Destiny
Got banned at level 2. Needed more XP events, as the leveling to 2 took a long time.

Last edited:
I played pso a bit
then I stopped playing pso
then I went off to win $60 playing dota
scbw became an alive game again
then I went back to pso
and now in the last week of 2017 anime decided we should all be playing diablo 2

Also started playing Warframe recently as well.

I've mostly been playing single player games for 2017, and I've come to love narrative games (as opposed to games all about the gameplay), such as the Trails series, Danganronpa, NieR: Automata, etc etc.

Used to be a hipster who thought the only thing that mattered in games was the gameplay, but I've learned games are very good at story telling and the experiences from some games are great.

Also started playing Warframe recently as well.

I've mostly been playing single player games for 2017, and I've come to love narrative games (as opposed to games all about the gameplay), such as the Trails series, Danganronpa, NieR: Automata, etc etc.

Used to be a hipster who thought the only thing that mattered in games was the gameplay, but I've learned games are very good at story telling and the experiences from some games are great.

Pretty sure last I checked its those who think story telling and "games are art" people who are considered hipsters, though wonder if its flipped now.

My favorite games out there are the Earthbound trilogy, the Soul Blazer trilogy, and the like anyway though.

Played a little bit of Mass effect 2, Age of mythology and age of empires 2, mainly for the old times.
I replayed Darksiders 2 when i got a new graphics card, the game required some unique tweaking to erase the problems it had but afterwards i just played the game again until i was satisfied with the gear i had.

But, most of my time has been with Warframe, there are some PSO players playing warframe aswell, that game certainly caught my eye and i am enjoying it so far.

I played like 600 hours of the General Manager mode in NBA 2k17

Ill guess 300 of them were probably while I was at work running sims. I really fell in love with 2k17s spreadsheet style of managing player minutes/game situations/substitutions in the manager mode. Gameplay itself was ok, felt like 2k11 (which isn't really bad imo).

My 2017 started with me wanting to come back to PSO after a couple of years of absence. I didn't know Ephinea yet, so i searched for the last private PSO server i played on, but it was dead; i ended up here and im quite happy with the job this community does keeping the game alive :)

At some point of the year i re-played FFIX: Awesome as always. Tried to play Chrono trigger again, but didn't make the time for it.

Because most of the time i wasn't home, i played a bunch of mobile games, but today they are all off my phone. Altought i should mention The Great Tournament, which was a pleasant surprise.

I played a bit of League of Legends this year, but apparently if i'm not 100% of the time playing that game i suck -From Platinum III in 2015 i'm chillin' now at Gold V, rip.

Cleared Ori & the blind forest which i really recommend to anyone who enjoyed something like it on the past (e.g. Genesis Sonic, Super Mario, etc).

Played Neverwinter Online with a bunch of friends for a few weeks: it is good only if you have time and friends to play with, but that is true to a lot of games; i'd say 7/10

Now i'm on the third disc of FFVIII, which i find really fun despite the battle and magic system. I would only recommend this if you like the genre tho.

You guys made me think of trying Warframe again.

PSO - Was huge during the summer for me

Zelda BOTW - after summer event ended I poured a lot of time into this mastermode and trials of the sword was a cunt to beat

Destiny 2 - spend way too much time on here when I got bored of everything and made all three classes 335ll

Final Fantasy 15 - mostly during the beginning of the year.

was my first year in pso and I think I spend more time here initially than anywhere

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - I played for a while...but with most games that open, I never got around beating all the major story things. My favorites are still Majoras Mask and Wind Waker.

They need to remake the megaman legends games and put them on pc switch lol. (I know...not gonna happen..)

Back