Support for UHD 3840x2160 (16:9) in launcher

Eicar

Hi!

Is there any possibility to get 3840x2160 added to the Ephinea PSOBB launcher??
I tried looking for the video settings in the system registry but I could not find it.
I found most other video settings there, but not the resolution. Maybe I didn't look hard enough...

I know that I can run it in virtual window mode to get 2560x1440 in fullscreen, but then all LUA
plugins looks terrible (font scaling is crap and unreadable...) My dream is to run 3840x2160 in virtual fullscreen (is that the right name?). I need to be able to Alt+Tab without killing the game... It's impossible to not alt-tab (for checking drop charts etc...) ... so that's a must.

If anyone can point me in the right direction then it would be great.. I'm not afraid of getting my hands dirty even if it means changing the settings in registry or any other binary file myself.

-Eicar

I wish they did too. But if they haven't by now, they probably don't intend to. Ultima lets you set your own custom resolution. I've been playing with that sometimes if you want to look at PSO running at non-standard resolutions for screenshots or whatever.

Last edited:
As Cyb3r said, I did that with my launcher on Ultima (and decided to just not put these "non standard" resolutions in the "presets" since not many people, I assume, run the game at such insane resolutions xD)

I think Tofuman even posted about the idea of letting users set their resolutions (here on Eph) but I guess he never did.
If he wants, I can share with him what I did for the custom resolutions, but that's up to him.

As Cyb3r said, I did that with my launcher on Ultima (and decided to just not put these "non standard" resolutions in the "presets" since not many people, I assume, run the game at such insane resolutions xD)

I think Tofuman even posted about the idea of letting users set their resolutions (here on Eph) but I guess he never did.
If he wants, I can share with him what I did for the custom resolutions, but that's up to him.
PLZ @tofuman . Make my 4k dreams come true

Guys, even though the launcher currently does not allow you to set 3840 x 2160 as your resolution, simply running the game in borderless windowed mode (AKA virtual fullscreen) while having your desktop resoltuon set to 4K (no display scaling can be used, however) will let you run PSOBB in 4K.

When I get home later, I'll post some screenshots of my own that are in native 4K from running in this setup.

So the point is:

- Set your monitor resolution to 3840 x 2160 (AKA desktop resolution)
- Do NOT use any display scaling (doing so will cause PSOBB, or any other game, while running in bordless windowed mode to render in a lower resolution due to the display scaling)

Ping me with any questions.

EDIT: after seeing and trying Sodaboy's post, ignore my post and follow his instructions. I've been playing in 'fauxK' this whole time.

Last edited:
- Set your monitor resolution to 3840 x 2160 (AKA desktop resolution)
- Do NOT use any display scaling (doing so will cause PSOBB, or any other game, while running in bordless windowed mode to render in a lower resolution due to the display scaling)
I don't know how bad it would be in 4K but 1600x900 virtual fullscreen'd to 1920x1080, there is a noticeable difference, I think is specially noticeable in the scan lines effect/textures, aliasing is more noticeable, and what the OP said, the addons text gets all blurry.

So I don't think that works for the OP.

If you need to have it ASAP, you can use this updated ephinea.dll (inside 4kdll.zip, which is attached to this post) to add 4K support to the game. Drop it into your Ephinea PSO folder and edit your registry's HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB\Ephinea\NEW_RES key. Set the value to decimal 18 and always start with psobb.exe instead of online.exe until @tofuman updates the launcher to add the resolution as one of the options in the pulldown. (Don't have the source code to the launcher myself or I'd update it.)

If you run online.exe after installing this DLL, you'll automatically download the old ephinea.dll which doesn't have 4K support.

As soon as Tofuman updates the launcher, we will officially update the DLL to support it and push the new one. Apologies for the inconvenience for now!

pso131531863303590009.jpg

Attachments

• 4kdll.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 30
  • pso131531862760254425.jpg
    pso131531862760254425.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
Whoa. In that case, might I request for 21:9 resolutions of 2560x1080 and 3440x1440 as well? For the maximum Addon space? 4K 21:9 would be nice for downsampling too.

Attachments

• pso1505880315.jpg
    pso1505880315.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
Last edited:
I was never able to get 21:9 to work (2560 * 1080).
weird that it works on that pic as double that...

I guess the surround stuff in nVidia didn't help...

Last edited:
2560x1080 certainly works. That pic up there I think was when I used Nvidia DSR to downsample from 5120x2160 with 2xMSAA+2xSGSSAA to test how it looks. I didn't get to look at bosses but at this resolution the game certainly looks amazing.

2560x1080 certainly works. That pic up there I think was when I used Nvidia DSR to downsample from 5120x2160 with 2xMSAA+2xSGSSAA to test how it looks. I didn't get to look at bosses but at this resolution the game certainly looks amazing.
I don't know, I have tried here using nVidia's surround and DSR which let me do some big ass resolutions in 32:9 and even 49:9 (someone else tried that one) but 21:9 just won't work.

If you need to have it ASAP, you can use this updated ephinea.dll (inside 4kdll.zip, which is attached to this post) to add 4K support to the game. Drop it into your Ephinea PSO folder and edit your registry's HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SonicTeam\PSOBB\Ephinea\NEW_RES key. Set the value to decimal 18 and always start with psobb.exe instead of online.exe until @tofuman updates the launcher to add the resolution as one of the options in the pulldown. (Don't have the source code to the launcher myself or I'd update it.)

If you run online.exe after installing this DLL, you'll automatically download the old ephinea.dll which doesn't have 4K support.

As soon as Tofuman updates the launcher, we will officially update the DLL to support it and push the new one. Apologies for the inconvenience for now!

View attachment 5152
This is absofuckinglutely incredible! What a difference this manual .dll patch makes. So I guess I've been playing on a 'stretched' 2560x1440 this whole time.

Now I re-adjust my LUA windows to account for true, native 4K! None of that fake checker boarding shit here, nope!

Thanks Soda, and Ephinea dev team!!!

I don't know how bad it would be in 4K but 1600x900 virtual fullscreen'd to 1920x1080, there is a noticeable difference, I think is specially noticeable in the scan lines effect/textures, aliasing is more noticeable, and what the OP said, the addons text gets all blurry.

So I don't think that works for the OP.
Truthfully, the upscale from 2560x1440 to the 'fauxK' I've been rocking for the past year and some wasn't too harsh, but after trying this patch, I feel so robbed of an amazing crisp clear visual experience I could have had all this time! Not a knock to the Ephinea Dev team, just a testament to how much a difference it makes!

Last edited:
Truthfully, the upscale from 2560x1440 to the 'fauxK' I've been rocking for the past year and some wasn't too harsh, but after trying this patch, I feel so robbed of an amazing crisp clear visual experience I could have had all this time! Not a knock to the Ephinea Dev team, just a testament to how much a difference it makes!
Indeed
Nice fauxK xD

OMG!

I almost vet my pants! This is just insane! If you guys don't already own a UHD monitor then now's the time to buy one!
Seeing PSO with this clarity with the added crystal sharp LUA plugins is just amazing!

Thank you soo much @Sodaboy !!! Now please @tofuman get this into the launcher for everyone to enjoy!

-Eicar

Loving the hell out of true 4K in my PSO!

However, I just started having this weird issue (don't know if it was present before the official .dll was pushed for the launcher update) where if I change lobbies, shadows and other visual effects no longer render.

If I stay in lobby 1 and make a game, everything is fine. If switch lobbies, player and enemy shadows disappear and green warps don't render the visual effects. Interestingly, from what little troubleshooting I've done, running in 2560x1440 windowed does not exhibit these issues.

I'll post some screens in a bit.

If I stay in lobby 1 and make a game, everything is fine. If switch lobbies, player and enemy shadows disappear and green warps don't render the visual effects. Interestingly, from what little troubleshooting I've done, running in 2560x1440 windowed does not exhibit these issues.

I'll post some screens in a bit.
I don't seem to be having this issue. I'm running Windows 10 with a GTX 1080Ti, just made a game, left it, changed lobbies, made a game, left it, changed blocks... Looking fine at 3840x2160.

Edit: Will also like to add I'm not using any add-ons or anything, just the regular client. I'd disable any add-ons, scripting, or whatever you have and try with the normal client before posting a bug report about it.

Back