My Computer won't play the game from menu

Is it possible to run it on my computer?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Abashi76

My computer won't play the game from menu. I can load the menu and change settings on option mode just fine. Everything works except for the "Start Game" function. When i click on it, the menu disappears and after that nothing happens. This constantly happens on my laptop and i did get a new computer but i am not using it yet because i need data on my current hard drive. The older ultima version did work on my computer, but unfortunately my computer won't play this version. I did everything that both the readme file said as well as the topic "New to this game? ....". I clicked compatibility mode for Windows XP server pack 2. I disabled something that the forum said to disable. I am using Windows 10. Also : sometimes i can't find the PSOBB.exe, i did once and i can't find it again. I searched the same folder every time. When i went to my DEP settings again, the PSOBB exe disappeared. Where is it?

Also, where is "whitelist"?

PS: Now my computer won't even run the installer. I un-installed and deleted the first one i downloaded so i could download it again without firewall. EDIT: I installed it again. The PSOBB.exe keeps disappearing. When i click "Start Game" nothing happens. I already tried turning off Firewall. I tried the other download on this site, and that did even worse, it won't work after it updates. Oh no : now it won't even open the menu for the regular version after the update.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has nothing to do with your firewall. You should probably turn that back on. The culprit in this case is your virus scanner.

If you're using Windows Defender, you should add the EphineaPSO folder to the list of exclusions. You may also need to check quarantined threats to explicitly allow psobb.exe, online.exe, and/or ephinea.dll if they have already been quarantined. If you're using some other virus scanning software, the terminology won't be exactly the same, but you will need do something similar to ensure it doesn't interfere with the game's files.

Mcafe keeps deleting the psobb.exe, and it still does it even if i turn off firewall. I know it can't play without that file.

I tried it again with Firewall off, and Mcafee still deleted my psobb.exe file. Everytime it does that i have to install it all over again. How do i stop it from deleting it?

There is another thread about this. I turned the real time scanner off. I doubt it will work though, even if my anti-virus program doesn't get in the way.

EDIT : so far it is working now ....

Last edited:
The firewall is only one facet of the features provided by the McAfee software package, and turning the firewall off isn't going to do anything about the virus scanner. I would recommend turning the firewall back on. Unfortunately, I don't know much about how to configure McAfee or if it's even possible to create the exclusions necessary to make it stop mucking around in your business. If McAfee does provide those settings, they would be related to virus scanning or threat detection or something along those lines. It may also be worth your while to consider removing McAfee from your system altogether.

I encountered a new problem that hasn't happened before, all that used to happen is that i occasionally get disconnected. The game keeps crashing now, it saves but i can't play the game while it crashes after 5-10 minutes.

Back