How would you rebalance PSO classes?

Bliz

Guildcard
[DISCLAIMER: This is not an Ephinea suggestion thread - this is purely a for-fun discussion regarding the game mechanics of PSOBB! I don't want class rebalancing on this server.]

I had game balance on my mind for a number of reasons recently, one of which being the recent thread about PSO class tier lists, and it got me thinking - people have a lot of ideas about which classes are better than others and why, but how would you fix it? Who needs to be buffed, who needs to be nerfed, and how would you do so?

The combat system itself favors certain classes, attempts to balance the classes with stat changes or weapon changes alone would, I think, make the weak classes more similar to the strong classes, and this will perhaps reduce diversity in the classes. Instead, I think the system should be tweaked enough that there are more roles than just damage dealing/control and support/gifoie stacking. I don't have good ideas of how to do this without wrecking the simplistic system of PSO, which is one of its charms.

Cure traps given to racaseal, a tank that can't use resta and isn't even the best defensive class in the game is a huge oversight. Giving her cure traps that also cure status including death would help her a lot. It would help her be more like her inspiration from ps4 as well.
I'd also give her Ramar's ata stat, or at least close to it. From armor, that buffs resta range by 200 (makes star atoms have a lot more range). This armor will also give a auto hp recovery.

Fomar and Fomarl a battlemages cloak kind of like on schthack. Boosts ata by 30 (193 for Fomar, 200 for Fomarl), buffs zalure by 100 range, resta by 30 range, grants by 30%. Gives a smartlink affect as well. Trade off is low defenses, no resists, and hp and tp drain as well.

-Make 180 the min ATA any class can have, then rebuild and restructure ATA distribution among the classes from there while keeping it sane. (example: FO should still have the least ATA despite being weak)
-Take away tech damage caps in eps 2, it's stupid, pointless, and annoying. FO's non melee/ranged class stats handicap them enough. A foney should not be doing only 200 damage with Foie. Gimme a break.
-Change hunewearl's growth to reflect her stats properly. As it is now, unless you sacrifice all utility slots she cannot max. This makes her less versatile, even soloing. Her strongest asset is mind, which you cannot logically max as she is in vanilla.
-Newman mat cap to at least 200.
-Dial back hucast's strength a small bit, while keeping it as the strongest class still. People really underestimate how godmode this class is in PSO.
-Give Huney much better j/z range to compensate for lack of Clio (this is class rebalances remember, not changing, or adding weapons or gear)
-Change trap growth of some cast classes
-Dial back Ramar's accuracy a tad. He's already 2good4eps2.

remove dmc
make bosses get hit by multiple target techs like they should (dragon, etc)
complete rework of ep2 resists to make teching not 100% laughable
racaseal stat balance that makes sense
hunewearl stat growth that makes sense
make evade a useful stat (kind of how in some other games evade/light tanks are a thing)
newmans 200 mat cap
add HUnewm, RAnewearl, FOcast
make baranz launcher fo usable (for balance reasons)
unlocked lk38 (for balance reasons)

Reverse order the ATA so that:
FOmar: 186
FOmarl: 180
FOnewm: 170
FOnewearl: 163

Some "Battlemage" FOmar is, with piss poor ATA, lol

Reverse order the ATA so that:
FOmar: 186
FOmarl: 180
FOnewm: 170
FOnewearl: 163

Some "Battlemage" FOmar is, with piss poor ATA, lol

Red ring fixes most of his problems tbh. It still comes up n all but it isn't as crazy.

I wouldn't nerf HUcast at all actually, I'd buff the other HUs and (possibly) nerf RAcast. RA has the better arsenal overall, and it is only HUcast's ATP that allows him to stand on a leg. People don't use the other HUs for meta for a reason; their only real niches are DF and Vjaya.

FOs are balanced fine IMO (ATP/ATA balance makes perfect sense), you just need to give RAcaseal some ground to stand on and there's not all that much to be done I think. =p

Back