A new way to play PSO! "Ironman" mode.

This sounds like we're planning on remaking a nostalgic experience again that we can call either Nostalgic, Vanilla, Gamecube, or Classic mode. I guess we can label it this way to keep it shorter than Self Found Purist mode.

I updated the title and original post. Shortening it to just Ironman mode. Simple and clean and understood from other games.

Does this mean that Hardcore Mode players will have their own mode called Hardcore Ironman Mode like in Old School Runescape?

Does this mean that Hardcore Mode players will have their own mode called Hardcore Ironman Mode like in Old School Runescape?

That would be crazy. How does the /purist and hardcore interaction work? Does it negative the bonus drop and xp %s?

I want to keep the rules simple enough that if it was ever adopted into an official mode, it wouldn't be too difficult to put into the game.
That's easy enough to accomplish. Disable the common bank but permit drop trading between your characters. It allows you to move important stuff once while making sharing the same item between all of your characters too tedious to be practical.

Anyone who’s lost motivation to play the game highly recommend this. Ironman modes aren’t for the faint of heart however they inspire a new way to play the game, and when you fail there is no one to blame but your self. Bigger than that when you succeed at something it’s a good feeling of accomplishment

Anyone who’s lost motivation to play the game highly recommend this. Ironman modes aren’t for the faint of heart however they inspire a new way to play the game, and when you fail there is no one to blame but your self. Bigger than that when you succeed at something it’s a good feeling of accomplishment

Agreed. This has completely reignited my love for PSO.

Also I have edit the first post and we now have a discord! Join up everyone!

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure this is Ade2003-2005mode, pioneered by our very own Ade. A more common version of this on Gamecube was 'I'm poor' where not being able to afford online also meant you probably didn't have another Gamecube controller or memory card to transfer.

Also if you want to talk IRONMAN:
- Events must be allowable. This greatly simplifies adding it to Ephinea (someday™) but also because you cannot find certain items by design, even with the tweaks made to drop charts.
- Items dropped by other players should simply be invisible for Ironman players. Trade should be greyed out. (if/when added here)
- Section ID changes should not be allowed. Purely convenience for Ironman? No sir! Play with other people or make another character.
- Common bank should be enabled for the game-type characters, but some sort of cool down mechanism should also be considered (if/when added here)
- There is no real reason to restrict Challenge Mode or Battle mode games. I guess Battle mode could pose an issue outside of rules (maybe there is a creative solution if/when it gets added here, but honor system works fine otherwise?)
- EXP Loss when you die, just like on STBB. Okay, maybe not just like that....an amount that would give you incentive not to die in Ultimate only. In addition to that, a Scape, Moon, or Reverse would cut that loss in half. The overall penalty would be further reduced by 3% per level of anguish. This 3% is added onto the 50%, meaning you would "only" lose 20% of the original penalty in Anguish 10. My loss formula proposal: 7700 x n / e = LOSS
n being your level, e being the Episode multiplier. 1 = 100, 2 = 90, 4 = 75
The most you would be able to lose if you didn't get revived is 20,431 at Level 199. Far cry from ~500,000 on Sonic Team! (if/when added here)

thats just like my opinion though man

Looks good, IMO, for the most part.

I don’t really understand why you’d restrict cmode to only other IM players. Everyone has to play under the same restrictions in cmode, so normal mode players don’t make the experience any different/easier. Seems more like an arbitrary rule than one that actually was created for the integrity of the mode.

I’m against section ID changes, only because there are two readily available workaround for not being able to find a specific drop—multiplayer or creating a new character.

As for shared bank, I think this has to be enabled. Imagine finding v801 on a hucast, and you can’t give it to another character. It’s just a dead item at that point. I think if it was possible to implement some sort of restriction, such as something like 2 items a month, that would be a decent compromise.

I just thought of one thing:
Ephinea uses a modified chance for Hit% items for Episode 2 (and Episode 4 too, maybe).

On vanilla PSO, for some reason SEGA decided that the chance for Hit% in Episode 2 should be 1% per roll for all IDs except Yellowboze which got a 3% chance. Giving "vanilla" drop charts to Iron Man players is impossible since the Ep4 charts were never made public (and I don't know if that even could be implemented).

Adding the "vanilla Hit% chance" could maybe be implemented, though. The question: Would that be a good thing? It would make things more "difficult" for sure, but it would also make certain items that can only be found in Episode 2 (especially after the drop changes) harder to find with Hit%.

Just wanted to get that out there.

I wouldn't make it too complicated. Right now we have to hope that all self flagged ironman players follow the rules.

But now we come to one big pro argument for the current state : should you ever decide to stop playing im-mode you can just transfer stuff to your normal mode acc, or shared bank if you use your normal acc already for playing im.
Hopefully it stays like this :3 This won't allow us to restrict shared items between the characters but I wouldn't do this in any case. This is not breaking the I'm rules for me, because it's for me still self found even I found it with another character.
I would also open the cm mode to be able to do em with other players because it's probably hard to get enuf players for all the cmode we need to do. I don't mind to do many runs, but I'm not sure right now how many players are going to join im, might be difficult in the future to find players for cm.

Was just reading about event participation, that's also a big benefit can enjoy the rewards passive, can transfer the stuff to your normal mode acc and have the benefit on this acc... And still enjoy im mode at the same time following the rules.

I joined with this way of rules, must say I would prefer that we could join any game but well it's like this my own game or joining the games of other Im mode players, which others can join, might be a bit more difficult but there have to be rules and we can't make anyone happy with every single rule there is.

Unfortunately I had to leave for work, but I was to able to play with Tak, Too and Ryan this morning from forest all the way through ruins 2?and it was really much fun.
Ty guys that you joined already, some inbtjis thread for their replys as well and maybe and hopefully many are going to join its definitely worth it!!!!
May the force be with u :3c

Last edited:
On the topic of Section ID changing vs Shared Stash, there is legitimate arguments for both, but when I put the poll up originally most people wanted Section ID changing and not shared stash usage. There is truly no right answer, but it is what we decided on.

In terms of specific chances/ratios for things, I agree with Yuffie in that we really don't want to make it too complicated. Right now it is just a third party mode, not officially supported, so either way we can't alter anything like that in the first place. If it was adopted to an officially supported mode, that wouldn't be up for me to decide those type of ratios.

Everyone is free to give feedback at xp, drop, and other ratios, but understand that won't matter short term, but only once an official version comes out.

In the mean time... Everyone should join the Ironman Discord!

https://discord.gg/XJa7ySJ

Was real big into Ironman on OSRS and RS3, so I'll give it a try. Rolling a Redria HUcast, since I never really got a HUcast past level ~90, same with Redria as an ID.

I'm going to try to not spam TTF unless I'm looking for a rare from Dragon, feels a bit too easy if I can just get easy xp like that.

This is a nice idea and I'd give it a shot if I had more time or if it were official, but right now I'm a member of the working, pso-middle class with mostly low% ubers. I have hungry characters to feed and such limited time to do it. Maybe when I pso-retire I'll have more time for a pso-lifestyle like this.

Last edited:
Was real big into Ironman on OSRS and RS3, so I'll give it a try. Rolling a Redria HUcast, since I never really got a HUcast past level ~90, same with Redria as an ID.

I'm going to try to not spam TTF unless I'm looking for a rare from Dragon, feels a bit too easy if I can just get easy xp like that.

The more the merrier.

I would just like to express my interest in this as an official mode / account type. Im fine with no shared stash allowed or id changing allowed.

I like this idea. It's mostly how I've been playing on Ephinea so far.

S-ranks go against the spirit of an ironman mode IMO though. But I might be underestimating how hard c-mode is, I've never actually completed it. I guess not being able to make perfect parties (because you can't trade/use shared bank, so you have to do it with char you want the weapon on) makes it a little harder.

Back