Ephinea Christmas 2019

15h Daylight Scar , think its the rarest item I've ever had drop. Also looks badass
zXZXSiy.png
how do you get your inventory to look like that all black and the armor and weapon pic next to the item is different??? is this a mod of some sort????

how do you get your inventory to look like that all black and the armor and weapon pic next to the item is different??? is this a mod of some sort????

Yes, you can download and drag and drop files into your corresponding PSO folders (scene, data, ogg, wherever it says the file is from by folder name) and let it replace the file, and it'll use that specific skin/modification in game. You can find skins and stuff near the bottom of the forums or find a lot of them on http://universps.online.fr/pso/bb/skin/listeSkin.php5

Edit: Before anyone jumps down my throat, I waited until I saw MANY comments about this event and this thread was seven pages long before sharing my thoughts.

1 month ago...

Ade: "Hey guys. We should have some good drops and maybe let our hair down a bit because the game has already been around for a long time."

Vocal minority who suddenly became experts on economics: "Shut up Ade ur dumb."

*Event happens. People are unhappy with the boosts and the rarity of good presents*

images

Also, having Fiasco available but without the boosts being lucrative isn't enough of a draw, @Ender . You always have an answer to tie up all loose ends, but the proof is in the reception. And the "people are going to whine no matter what" bit is disingenuous and you know it. Sure, there's always SOME whining, but it's way worse this year than any other year. Don't play dumb.

Most good items find a home. People come and go from the server all the time. If a player goes "inactive," then none of those items are in circulation. The economy on this game has never been wrecked. Fluctuation is normal. Economies are efficient and quickly adapt to the objective value of goods. If something in the game changes drastically but temporarily, the economy will change drastically but TEMPORARILY. This doesn't mean it's wrecked. This doesn't mean we should attempt to manipulate the market by destroying our personal fortunes (which is a useless gesture). It means that we continue to play the game and participate in the economy as efficiently and competitively as possible.

Without events that give significant boosts from time to time, we're going to soon enter an era of "nobody ever finds what they want," and I feel like some people on this server WANT THAT. It feels weird to say that, but I really do feel like there are people on this server who think that PSO is supposed to be an unrewarding experience that NEVER, not rarely, but NEVER gives you what you want. It's like they say to themselves, "Are people happy and finding what they want? Then dammit the game is too easy and we need to change that."

This is why Cannon Rouge with 50 hit (a relatively niche weapon that rarely needs that much hit) is going for 475 PDs. When something high end finally does drop, it will sell for absurd prices since those satisfying drops are becoming so few and far between.

Here's an idea: Let's get back to letting people find what they want and create some new PDs sinks.

For example: Want to increase your inventory capacity from 30 to 35 for ONE character? Okay...that will be 5 Photon Hoards.

Want to increase from 35 to 40? Okay, that will be 10 Photon Hoards.

(This is just an example.)

We're going to run out of solutions if we never expand our tool belt.

I don't even know why I try. I guess I get too accustomed to people actually listening to me IRL (I'm a financial advisor), so it's so weird to run into such unreasonable pushback here.

I know people think I'm a jerk or I'm too controversial or whatever, but this server is the best PSO experience in the history of the game. I want to do anything I can to help it stay around for as long as possible. I hope others feel that way too.

I get really upset when people who rarely play the game, or maybe just show up for a little while and then leave (ie. @Zues in my most recent thread), come crashing into these threads and are argumentative for the sake of just stirring things up. It's because of people like this that we never got post Lv. 200 progression and many other great things. They're gone now, but they got their way before they left. They come in here and act like they care about this server but just want to shit all over any ideas they didn't come up with themselves, even if it means hurting the game for people who want to stay for the long haul. They can get bent.

Happy New Year...

Last edited:
Happy new year Ade, thanks for your post :3

Got myself I havent played since 23.12 and I tell you a secret^^ my thoughts towards missing most of the event because of visiting my relatives is :"it's not like it would be rewarding playing it 24/7" (and imagine you would drop something cool like a 20h HP and couldn't loot it and staff wouldn't restore it (still think it would be a cool gesture to restore a 20h HP... :/)) why even bother to play? I haven't drop anything since the summer event and I play like daily some hours that's why jokes feel bad about it. This Xmas should be expanded with upscaled boosts or whatever, nerf was possible last year so it should be possible the opposite way also I guess. Just my 2 cents

Last edited:
Reactions: Ade
People might want things to drop onto their lap, through an event or otherwise.

Those people should not be playing PSO.

We're not going to be making gear more common through presents, sorry. Make as many posts as you want or write as many walls of text as you please, but PSO is a classic loot grinder and we're not going to change how fast that progression happens; it's already faster than standard.

Claiming things should be easier because the game (or server) is old is a rather fallacious argument. If you don't like the standard rates, why are you playing PSO?

Events are staying as they are from now on, and if that makes the game not worth playing for you, just... don't play it.

I think I need to make a comment here while the "iron is hot" per say. As former staff here, from their perspective the community has to understand a couple things. They know it sucks not getting anything, they're not doing it to spite people (well maybe agastya...). Traditionally they know Xmas is a time of getting lots of cool stuff on PSO, has been that way for years across many servers including Ephinea when it was new. With Vanilla though, They've a limited list of items to give out, and most of them (including ubers aka "IT HAS DA BIG NUMBER!!11") aren't even good with exception ONLY to psycho wand. So it further complicates things based on item usefulness vs rarity. It makes the userbase very hard to please (not at the staff or users fault but by PSO's flawed design) because there's only so much they can do without killing the game, editing vanilla weapons for more to hunt, or fixing accuracy/evasion values. SO the rarity of items in presents makes sense.

Problem here (represented by the players side) is PSO by design is not fair, it never has been and likely unless someones willing to commit to a total redesign, never will be. The proper amount of hit needed on a melee weapon to be efficient without being a ranger or a cast, is absolutely LUDICROUS and completely unreasonable by any stretch of imagination. By example, I have that 60h flowens still thanks in part to Skylar giving it away when he quit. The chance of getting such hit is so astronomically low, its basically hitting the lottery with a huge built up jackpot. Guess what? it barely manages to hit things reliably, just barely...at that vaunted 60 hit. Don't get me started on Subdesert yowies though, you wont be hitting anything. And herein is the problem.

Years ago people realized, the amount of hit needed to actually do ANYTHING (once again, without being a cast or ranger) is absolutely stupid. This is why no one was buying those 30 hit zanbas we shoveled out years ago in events, they're GARBAGE. Its not that they were devalued by amount, or ever worth anything in the first place. This games old enough now that people know low hit is not reliable. So this kicking screaming fear of people getting melee items with hit is kinda...idk.

TL;DR The point im getting at here is. With the presents as they are now, its hard enough to get a item at all, let alone get the hit for it to be useful and not droponfloorandletitdie fodder. Thats why they're frustrated. I'm sure the point here is to make it so people have to hunt the items from their intended drops, but....just yikes.

I think I need to make a comment here while the "iron is hot" per say. As former staff here, from their perspective the community has to understand a couple things. They know it sucks not getting anything, they're not doing it to spite people (well maybe agastya...). Traditionally they know Xmas is a time of getting lots of cool stuff on PSO, has been that way for years across many servers including Ephinea when it was new. With Vanilla though, They've a limited list of items to give out, and most of them (including ubers aka "IT HAS DA BIG NUMBER!!11") aren't even good with exception ONLY to psycho wand. So it further complicates things based on item usefulness vs rarity. It makes the userbase very hard to please (not at the staff or users fault but by PSO's flawed design) because there's only so much they can do without killing the game, editing vanilla weapons for more to hunt, or fixing accuracy/evasion values. SO the rarity of items in presents makes sense.

Problem here (represented by the players side) is PSO by design is not fair, it never has been and likely unless someones willing to commit to a total redesign, never will be. The proper amount of hit needed on a melee weapon to be efficient without being a ranger or a cast, is absolutely LUDICROUS and completely unreasonable by any stretch of imagination. By example, I have that 60h flowens still thanks in part to Skylar giving it away when he quit. The chance of getting such hit is so astronomically low, its basically hitting the lottery with a huge built up jackpot. Guess what? it barely manages to hit things reliably, just barely...at that vaunted 60 hit. Don't get me started on Subdesert yowies though, you wont be hitting anything. And herein is the problem.

Years ago people realized, the amount of hit needed to actually do ANYTHING (once again, without being a cast or ranger) is absolutely stupid. This is why no one was buying those 30 hit zanbas we shoveled out years ago in events, they're GARBAGE. Its not that they were devalued by amount, or ever worth anything in the first place. This games old enough now that people know low hit is not reliable. So this kicking screaming fear of people getting melee items with hit is kinda...idk.

TL;DR The point im getting at here is. With the presents as they are now, its hard enough to get a item at all, let alone get the hit for it to be useful and not droponfloorandletitdie fodder. Thats why they're frustrated. I'm sure the point here is to make it so people have to hunt the items from their intended drops, but....just yikes.

You've assigned words to something I've always felt but didn't know how to express. Well done.

I still see items on the rare and very rare lists marked ???. Are there still items no one has received in a present yet?

@Matt : This is the first time we’ve ever had a server with relatively normal rates of progression without mass cheating. We THOUGHT we were getting a legit experience back on Schtserv, but it turns out a lot of people got away with hacking and most of the PDs were duped.

Because this is the first truly cheat-free PSO experience, I think it’s safe to say that NOBODY would have been okay with straight vanilla progression after hitting Lv. 200 in a legit environment. You get to a point where the only way to make improvements is to find impossibly rare items or bid hundreds (or sometimes over 1000) PDs for those rare gems that come up every once in awhile.

We love this server. We love that it’s impossible to cheat or “pay to win,” but it’s easy to see that without some boosts to the game’s mechanics (ie. PSO2 drop system) that it would be nigh on impossible to get your ideal equipment on this game. Sega did a very poor job in determining drop rates, and the cheating artificially sped up progress in previous iterations of the game.

Now that we can see how the game really works when cheating is next to impossible, it becomes evident that events are the only way some of us have a chance to make further improvements to our equipment.

Most days when I log in, the chances that I’ll find something better than what I already have are basically zero. We should be looking at ways to further player progression (and without giving free handouts- I do agree with you there).

Maybe we could boost the chances of finding hit % on rare items in Anguish mode, for example, or create some PD sinks that allow characters to improve their rare drop chances for an extremely steep price.

I don’t want criticism to be mistaken for ungratefulness, but it’s unfair for you to say that “we just want free handouts” when really some of us just want a way to start chipping away at the brick walls we’ve run into.

It stands to reason that if Sega had continued to support PSO and found a way to eliminate cheating (hah!) that they would have seen the progression on this game beyond leveling to 200, which really anyone can do, is abysmal, even when comparing it to the worst grind-fest MMOs out there.

Edit: I’m not saying something needs to be done right this second, but I would caution against the “this is how it’s always going to be” mindset.

Last edited:
[...]Years ago people realized, the amount of hit needed to actually do ANYTHING (once again, without being a cast or ranger) is absolutely stupid. This is why no one was buying those 30 hit zanbas we shoveled out years ago in events, they're GARBAGE. Its not that they were devalued by amount, or ever worth anything in the first place. This games old enough now that people know low hit is not reliable. So this kicking screaming fear of people getting melee items with hit is kinda...idk.

@Matt :
[...]Most days when I log in, the chances that I’ll find something better than what I already have are basically zero. We should be looking at ways to further player progression (and without giving free handouts- I do agree with you there). [...]

What y'all need isn't more powerful presents, you need a completely redesigned game - which is an interesting conversation to have but it's nothing an xmas event can hope to fix.

What y'all need isn't more powerful presents, you need a completely redesigned game - which is an interesting conversation to have but it's nothing an xmas event can hope to fix.

Edit: Deleted my post because I didn't read who you quoted. You were referring to the mechanics of the over-emphasis on ATA. I get it. And yes, I agree.

Last edited:
I would caution against the “this is how it’s always going to be” mindset.
I'd take that with a pinch of salt if I were you. Lets not forget that RR was originally much easier to get and was commonly selling for ~5pd in the first 12-18 months or so of the server.

That's right, FIVE pd.

People complained that the "best" barrier in the game was too easy/cheap. Matt staunchly stated it wasn't going to change.

It changed.

Last edited:
I'm just glad there won't be anymore 75h cvulcs printed. Present roll isn't great this year, but it won't kill value of certain items.

Print em yourself, can place bets at my store who is going to print the next 100h charge vulcans xd

Wonder what the redesign would need to change work. Easier said than be done and I think it's even possible to make our "vanilla with sprinkle" more exciting, but I would only wish that the events would be more balanced out, Easter vs badge vs summer vs Winter, and for me is the winner clearly anniversary during summer, why not take presents away and give the 300%? Maybe even having the badges from summer and some shop quest like this and sell some stuff like magical key for an reduced price.

Just a reply, I think it's not necessary to redesign, at least for the time of an event to give our dear veterans reason to continue and maybe our staff then tends to not be so harsh in their decisions (btw wonder does anyone from the staff actually play the game active?... Rarely ever see an gm around except mew. Not sure if inactive staff is the best to decide about this game :p)

So.. ^^ still space to improve

Last edited:
I've been hyperbolic time chambering pso every day since the event started (still am) and these are the presents I've got. Totally worth the several dozens of hours I've done. Hopfully I land on the 15 hit Daylight Scar i've always dreamed of.

lolipop 15 hit
lolipop 25 hit
3 pds
2 tp mats
hell striker 85 hit
white paint
blue paint
harissen fan
crazy tune
typeme/mechgun
3 pds
1pd
coal
1 pc
3pds
luck mat 5
lolipop
rocket punch
item ticket
2 hp mats
15 hit girasole
5pds
harissen battle fan 15 hit
heart of yn
lolipop
arrest handgun 65 hit
2x hp
type m/mechguns
5x hp
3 pds
3pds
5x hp
3pc

Last edited:
This post contained misleading information, so I deleted it.

Photon Hoards are not on the drop list.

-Matt

Last edited:
Back