Anguish

Firkraag

neverlucky
Guildcard
Anguish is a great idea but a flawed one. Being able to play a difficulty above one where you pretty much steamroll everything makes the game more interesting long term(to me), but Anguish should also be consistently challenging and rewarded.

Rewards started off fairly insignficant for going into Anguish with a simple XP boost and 2% RDR and recently had a point where it really paid off going there with a bump in photon weapon patterns and their untekked rate. With the way Anguish is setup where enemies essentially just has a boost in survivability this makes some areas very difficult(ruins, seabed, some parts of CCA, desert) while in others(like forest) the reward structure was easily abusable since a boost of health and damage alone is not enough to make you afraid to go there even on A10.

In the examples of ruins, you have rooms where if you get knocked down by any cannon fodder and recover into a Chaos Sorcerer who is charging megid while a belra is shooting at you or delsaber jumping to one shot you you're going to have a real challenge already on Anguish 3. This goes for the other areas with enemies like sinows, delbiter, morfos, teleporting Gorans, Girtas and Merissa spawns as well.
This put some real emphasis on crowd control and knowing the spawns a lot more important.
A pattern and untekked rate bump for these areas definitely felt fair and going further into Anguish often isn't even an option so you would never have something like an unreasonable 94% untekked rate ever.

This is supposedly modelled after Diablo 3's Torment levels but without the champion and rare spawns which with the right attributes could really mess you up in any of the games areas and where a toughness boost had a huge impact you can't really apply this to PSO where it's just regular enemies all the time.

Anguish in this game would be a lot better if it wasn't tiered, a single difficulty where every area poses a threat by tuning things like enemy movement speed, recovery rate upon being attacked(making stunlocks less viable). Individually tuning enemies like allowing a Hidelt to do its shock attack faster and without interruption unless frozen giving Forest enough assholes to compete with some of the currently more challenging areas. Enough challenge to reward players with pattern 4 photon weapons throughout the entire game.

I still remember the first time I stepped into ultimate where suddenly everything charged at you at twice the speed, enemies had new twists to them that made it more challenging as well as finally giving you the rare drops that matter. Anguish should test players who have good gear already and award them accordingly, anywhere.

This would promote more variety in which area you select to spend your time, where for example even if you're not too interested in p-wand you might follow a friend into MA4 caves and feel equally rewarded with the chance of a good untekked weapon.

The game really opened up a couple weeks ago, and now tonight some of that was taken away. The new reward structure of Anguish made a lot of sense for most areas of this game and I hope that can be brought back in some shape or form that does not create a meta of easy A10 forest resets.

Anguish is designed to challenge you, not reward you. It's just extra content that exists for a bit of fun.

Anguish will never be an official 5th difficulty that "adequately rewards you" because that would mean it's replacing Ultimate, which is not the aim of the mode, as Ultimate will always still be the official end.

The recent buffs were to give Anguish a little incentive, but they will not be expanded on greatly. One of the buffs was a little too powerful, so it was removed as it wasn't necessary.

tl;dr: You're essentially asking for Anguish to be the next step in progression. It won't be.

I am not sure about removing the tiering, but I agree that there is more balancing to be done.

When the scaling of values is applied, it gets applied from the initial Ultimate data. Original Ultimate Forest was like an “introduction” to Ultimate, so the enemies are weaker than other areas, considerably, especially when compared to Ruins.

A+ earlier areas should be more close to the later areas in terms of difficulty, perhaps, since you should already be beasting through normal Ultimate already. Rewards should align too.

Definitely something we can look into. Would have to talk to the staff about ideas... (or not, just saw Matt’s post, lol)

Anguish will never be an official 5th difficulty that "adequately rewards you" because that would mean it's replacing Ultimate, which is not the aim of the mode, as Ultimate will always still be the official end.
There would still be a place for Ultimate, what I learned from A3 NMU3's is that we would have found more Heaven Strikers and SoF doing it on A0 which is really much faster so if you're after specific rare items you're still going to be steamrolling Ultimate. A3 with the pattern increase was still interesting enough alternative drop wise and it made proper play more important.

No amount of Anguish gives reason enough from a challenge or reward standpoint to run it over Ultimate in some areas as it is today since easy will still be easy just slower and 94% untekked pattern 1/2 weapons will never amount to anything. I just think that if possible an Anguish with a balanced difficulty and reward structure throughout the entire game would be a nice alternative, it doesn't really have to be so overpowered that it replaces Ultimate at all.

Yeah, that's the idea. We had a discussion about it and Anguish will never be the place to get rares as we're not going to make it easier to get rares on Anguish.

We decided Anguish would be a good place to reward people with things that don't have a standard hunt in Ultimate, such as common weapons for example. If you have any ideas of things like that, I'm all ears.

Yeah, that's the idea. We had a discussion about it and Anguish will never be the place to get rares as we're not going to make it easier to get rares on Anguish.

We decided Anguish would be a good place to reward people with things that don't have a standard hunt in Ultimate, such as common weapons for example. If you have any ideas of things like that, I'm all ears.

In that case, what do you think about increasing meseta rewards (not drops) for doing quest in Ang? With Charge special, most of us are always broke (i know i am), the only way currently to "hunt" for meseta is PW3 boxes and we all know how it's boring and uninspired. Here's a little incentive for both Ang and completing quests without touching rares.

Couple of thoughts and I admit I have no idea what's viable codewise, so if this is completely implausible, my bad, just spitballing ideas.

Would something like an HBR style boost for Anguish (so that you'd have to work to earn it, not just spamming a couple rooms on A10) be feasible to increase common rates?

Alternatively, would it be viable to remove one of the subpar 9* drops and make that a drop for that type of gold weapon? IE, Skyly has a half dozen or so places where you can get a Dragon Slayer, and they're utterly useless. So, maybe the Arlan in the Ruins always drop an untekked Calibur as their "rare" drop instead? If you go type to type for the IDs you'd still have some variance between IDs by focusing on that ID's speciality/focus type of weapon.

As somebody who has little interest in playing Anguish, I think the nerf is fine and I support further nerfs if deemed necessary.

When Anguish was added, I was open minded. I think it is cool that PSO is still getting development and content. But, I am free to have interests in only playing the vanilla game. Anguish just seems like Ultimate, but everything takes longer. Which isn't fun for me, I fully respect that it may be for many others.

Whether or not, it is accepted. The existence of Anguish has negatively impacted normal mode play. We lost RDR boosts having an influence on box drops due to the fact that Anguish had exploits. As somebody who doesn't want to play Anguish, my DoB hunting has undoubtedly had 200+ hours added to it from this.

When the "untek" nerf happened, I didn't complain and accepted it. I was unhappy with the fact that an Anguish buff was made as a "compromise". As it really just shifted Ultimate mode hunt viability to Anguish, promoting it over Ultimate. I would have preferred nothing was done to compromise and just deal with the original nerf.

TLDR: With the handful of nerfs that have been made to the vanilla game recently, I would prefer if the difference isn't made up via adding buffs to a non-vanilla game mode.

Last edited:
Not to turn this topic into the previous complaint topic, but I think the untek nerf (or fix, depending on who you ask), was the only Vanilla negative change. I don’t recall any handful of Vanilla nerfs that happened recently.

If you’re complaining that RDR doesn’t affect boxes anymore then, well, RDR isn’t Vanilla to begin with. Neither is DAR, Luck bonuses, HBR and all the other buffs the game now has.

I feel like if you’re going to complain about a Vanilla change then you should complain about everything, including the buffs to the main game and not just focus on the “untek nerf”.

When I read stuff like this, it’s like people want to have their cake and eat it, too, so I don’t really feel much sympathy.

Also, when I think about RDR or anything effecting box drops, it doesn’t make sense, because boxes don’t get stronger or weaker, and people are always exploiting PW3 box runs anyway. So I don’t really care about it. Sorry.

- Anguish early area difficulty has been adjusted to be more like the later areas in each episode. With this change, area pattern 3 will always be used for the early areas and area pattern 4 for the later areas.

Can anyone explain this for someone who has recently started playing again?

@stevetorious Each area in the game has a different %pattern of non rare weapons, some patterns leave stronger items. You can see it here, don't have a list of which area has which but the earlier they are in an episode the weaker the drops were. By raising the pattern of these areas you can find better non rare weapons.

@Sodaboy I tried out some Forest A1, for two man at lvl 200 it definitely wasn't too easy, think I even ran out of moons in that TE. Caves didn't feel too much different from before. Will have to try some more when the badge craze dies down, suggesting Anguish right now isn't easy with everyone hunting them. :confused: Definitely like this latest change.

they hit too hard, just got 1hitted by a drl tentacle , no debuff but my humar has 1182 hp -.-they hit harder then the later areas now....and this has been a1, never been one shotted there...

they hit too hard, just got 1hitted by a drl tentacle , no debuff but my humar has 1182 hp -.-they hit harder then the later areas now....and this has been a1, never been one shotted there...
Yeah, I should have excluded the early bosses from the extra scaling for earlier areas. I'll remove their scaling on the next restart.

The crowd control nerf hits really hard, i have no idea if anyone is going to touch a5+ in public...also demon activation rate of 0,44% in a1 already, ouch:x

The crowd control nerf hits really hard, i have no idea if anyone is going to touch a5+ in public...also demon activation rate of 0,44% in a1 already, ouch:x
That's actually a typo. It's 44%, not 0.44%. :p

I typo'd that. Actually it's 44%.

Just fixed them all. It was only a typo in the topic.

Back