Does anyone play this keyboard only?

Controller is objectively better and I swore by keyboard for a decade. Also the "KB is better for FO!" sentiment is horribly incorrect. You can easily use a button mapping program (I recommend antimicro) to map 0-9 to unused controller buttons. All my needed techs are mapped to the D pad, left/right triggers/bumpers, up/down/left/right on the right joystick, etc... The only advantage a keyboard gives is quicker access to typing. You can easily map every key, macro or shortcut to any modern game controller with minimal work. It makes a big difference in high stress quests like PW4.

Apologies for derailing this, but hopefully you can point me in the right direction as to what I'm doing wrong. I tried antimicro and no matter what i do (top numbers, numpad, numlock on or off, disabling the keyboard so you have to hit space to type), PSO insists on typing in the number when I try to use any of those mapped keys. Any ideas what I should look at?

Apologies for derailing this, but hopefully you can point me in the right direction as to what I'm doing wrong. I tried antimicro and no matter what i do (top numbers, numpad, numlock on or off, disabling the keyboard so you have to hit space to type), PSO insists on typing in the number when I try to use any of those mapped keys. Any ideas what I should look at?

I would be happy to help you troubleshoot it! (not tonight, just got back from out of state, tomorrow though!) I will send you a PM.

Likely you just need to run anti as admin. There is a convenient button at the bottom of anti to do so. It will crash PSO if its open but just restart pso.

Sounds like your game is in type only mode for the keyboard, push F11.

Controller is objectively better and I swore by keyboard for a decade. Also the "KB is better for FO!" sentiment is horribly incorrect. You can easily use a button mapping program (I recommend antimicro) to map 0-9 to unused controller buttons. All my needed techs are mapped to the D pad, left/right triggers/bumpers, up/down/left/right on the right joystick, etc... The only advantage a keyboard gives is quicker access to typing. You can easily map every key, macro or shortcut to any modern game controller with minimal work. It makes a big difference in high stress quests like PW4.

I wouldn't necessarily say that controller is objectively better. There are times on controller where I wish I had the ability to move like I can with a Keyboard. Aside from GC, I play BB primarily on Keyboard and I don't think I could go to a controller on BB. I'm too used to the number keys providing me better coverage for abilities and item usage, I'm too used to the arrow keys with my muscle memory for moving around the menus, and for some one that doesn't have a macro like me to re-map things to controller inputs, Keyboard is a more practical and useful way of playing the game than using a controller.

With GC I don't have much of a choice unless I specifically switch to Devolution or Dolphin, but I have too much stuff for my GC setup to switch to those for the GC version. BB I've always loved playing on a Keyboard and have lots of muscle memory wrapped around the keys for BB.

I also wouldn't say the argument that it's better for forces to be "horribly incorrect" either. I would say that it's a preferential argument. For some people, Keyboard is better for forces. For others, like yourself, mapping macros to a controller is simple and easy so, for you, a controller fits your needs.
I'm able to comfortably do everything I can on a controller and more on a Keyboard so that's why I choose the Keyboard. Others may disagree and that's fine, but there's no definitive way to play PSO honestly, at least as far as controls go.

I use keyboard because sometimes I'm too lazy to setup my stuff for controller. But I will not for a second pretend that aiming on keyboard is atrocious, especially if you need to turn 180 degrees or make adjustments that aren't within the 8 directions WASD is limited to. The aiming mistakes I make on keyboard are strictly because 4-direction control is not what the game was built on. Keyboard does have turning in place but I've also been able to map A and D onto controller if I want that (also makes breaking freeze easy). Ideally, I'd rather play controller 100% of the time but then I'd have to spend time resyncing my Xbox controller back up with my PC and bringing antimacro up (neither of which are really time consuming, just inconvenient).

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily say that controller is objectively better. There are times on controller where I wish I had the ability to move like I can with a Keyboard. Aside from GC, I play BB primarily on Keyboard and I don't think I could go to a controller on BB. I'm too used to the number keys providing me better coverage for abilities and item usage, I'm too used to the arrow keys with my muscle memory for moving around the menus, and for some one that doesn't have a macro like me to re-map things to controller inputs, Keyboard is a more practical and useful way of playing the game than using a controller.

With GC I don't have much of a choice unless I specifically switch to Devolution or Dolphin, but I have too much stuff for my GC setup to switch to those for the GC version. BB I've always loved playing on a Keyboard and have lots of muscle memory wrapped around the keys for BB.

I also wouldn't say the argument that it's better for forces to be "horribly incorrect" either. I would say that it's a preferential argument. For some people, Keyboard is better for forces. For others, like yourself, mapping macros to a controller is simple and easy so, for you, a controller fits your needs.
I'm able to comfortably do everything I can on a controller and more on a Keyboard so that's why I choose the Keyboard. Others may disagree and that's fine, but there's no definitive way to play PSO honestly, at least as far as controls go.

I mean, I was comfortable/used to a keyboard as well. You have to take the time to retrain your muscle memory if you ever want to change the way you do something. Especially something you have been doing a specific way for years. Whether it's learning to drive manual, memorizing a new route to work, or getting used to a controller.

I just don't buy the "That's not true because some people are already used to keyboard" argument. The human brain is capable of being retrained.

That being said, all the more power to keyboard users. I stubbornly stuck to KB for years after knowing that taking the time to learn controller play would make things easier.

To clarify, I have zero issues with someone using KB (unless slow turning renders you incapable of froozing Del Lilies and Mericarols), I just genuinely feel that mastery of controller use gives you a higher overall skill ceiling than KB use given the proper time to learn.

((Also, anyone can use a mapping program, really!!! It's not that bad I promise!))

Last edited:
I mean, I was comfortable/used to a keyboard as well. You have to take the time to retrain your muscle memory if you ever want to change the way you do something. Especially something you have been doing a specific way for years. Whether it's learning to drive manual, memorizing a new route to work, or getting used to a controller.

I just don't buy the "That's not true because some people are already used to keyboard" argument. The human brain is capable of being retrained.

That being said, all the more power to keyboard users. I stubbornly stuck to KB for years after knowing that taking the time to learn controller play would make things easier.

To clarify, I have zero issues with someone using KB (unless slow turning renders you incapable of froozing Del Lilies and Mericarols), I just genuinely feel that mastery of controller use gives you a higher overall skill ceiling than KB use given the proper time to learn.

((Also, anyone can use a mapping program, really!!! It's not that bad I promise!))

Oh I know that people could definitely re-learn things. My issue specifically is much more with my patience and that I personally take considerably longer to learn things and gain muscle memory for controls than other people would. It takes me probably double or triple the time a normal person would take. That's specifically a me issue though, so I don't speak for everybody when I say that I just prefer Keyboard over controller when referring specifically to muscle memory.

I wouldn't mind learning how to remap things using macro's on a controller but I just don't have the tech for it right now (and I know it's easy to get, but there's more factors to it than just the programs for me too) and I would just rather log on and play PSO my way than have to go through a whole process all over again with re-learning everything I've ever known haha.

I've only used the keyboard for PSO. There are some weird commands, like using the End key for both chat commands and for donating PB. Keyboard is great for breaking free from frozen status.

I've only used the keyboard for PSO. There are some weird commands, like using the End key for both chat commands and for donating PB. Keyboard is great for breaking free from frozen status.

You can map WASD to the left joystick directions and it works great. uwu

Sounds like your game is in type only mode for the keyboard, push F11.

Yeah, this seems to have done the trick. I had been toggling it from the in game config menu and that wasn't making a difference, but this did it. Gotta whack space before using the server commands, but that's a much smaller hassle than juggling the numpad and a controller. Thank you!

You can map WASD to the left joystick directions and it works great. uwu

There is a problem with that if you are someone who sometimes types with one hand while using the other to steer your character somewhere that auto-run wouldnt cut, but otherwise it does work well as it still retains the analog controls just with the plus of having WASD to break out of ice faster.

Yeah, this seems to have done the trick. I had been toggling it from the in game config menu and that wasn't making a difference, but this did it. Gotta whack space before using the server commands, but that's a much smaller hassle than juggling the numpad and a controller. Thank you!

No prob.

I play on keyboard all the time. Sucks for aiming but then again, you can get away with it if you are playing FO (which I play most of the time). Plus I tend to switch between my desktop and laptop...

Keyboard is just easier imo
I prefer WASD to move, 1-9 for hot bar, and Arrows keys for navigating menus + Up arrow key to rotate camera. You obviously don't get the super smooth turning that you would with an analog, but If I need to whip around real quick to catch falz when she's not invulnerable for a split second, It's a little faster using Kb I've found.
when I use my controller I just get input lag most of the time. Plus the whole steer and type thing, I'd rather just stand still for a quick second and type my message, than end up running into a wall here and there trying to "keep up"
But I guess it's just a matter of preference really.
No shame for Controller only players, but Keyboard > controller :p
Also another note, I've been through more controllers, than I have keyboards in my life.

How would you about performing the scenario I described above? I guess you'd map F2 to a controller button... but with my controller, the D-Pad is on the left side of the controller, above and to the left of the left analog stick, so it seems it would be very awkward to try and switch merges while moving around.

Also, my controller doesn't have 10 extra buttons on it- so your methodology must require some tricked-out super-controller.

First, the basic Xbox 360, etc. controller has like half of their buttons not being used by PSOBB. So, it is certainly untrue that some sort of special controller is needed.

Really all you need (similar to what they said) is F2 bound somewhere (I like Right Bumper) and the arrow keys bound to your right joystick. With this configuration you can swap merges, swap weapons, select techs all with your right thumb and index finger. You have your entire left hand open for movement. I would argue that this is much better than having to press F2 on a keyboard, which will require you to use your WASD hand anyway.

If you learn to make good use of the quick menu, like 90% of the utility of hot keys are non-existent. It seems that the only good reason people give for keyboard can be replaced by learning to menu.

But the real reason why I think controller is better, even for FO. Is that when playing FO, there are countless scenarios where you need to aim on single or mulitple targets with a gun, or slicer. The movement and aiming on a controller is much better, I don't know why anybody would choose to limit these options, unless keyboard is simply more comfortable for them.

Last edited:
The movement and aiming on a controller is much better, I don't why anybody would choose to limit these options, unless keyboard is simply more comfortable for them.
Because this statement is entirely subjective and has absolutely no factual evidence to support why it's better. That's why people would "choose to limit themselves" because nobody is limiting themselves.

This entire topic is a personal preference thing, and I think it's strange that people would try to argue over which personal preference is objectively "better" or "right or wrong" because "I tried both out and this one works best for me!". That excuse, that controller users often give, is just as lacking as the "It's better for FO's" argument, easily.

I think it's safe to say that no matter what anybody uses, if they're efficient with it, then use it. I can do everything you can do on a Keyboard and a controller. I can use both just fine, but I prefer Keyboard because it feels more natural to me. I'm not limiting myself at all, in the slightest bit, because I can do everything you can do on controller on a Keyboard.

Because this statement is entirely subjective and has absolutely no factual evidence to support why it's better.
This statement is objectively wrong if you took a moment to think about how WASD movement works vs. an analog stick.

This statement is objectively wrong if you took a moment to think about how WASD movement works vs. an analog stick.
It works the exact same except all you have to do is press the Up arrow key more

It works the exact same except all you have to do is press the Up arrow key more

You should look into how analog signals work before stating that there is "no factual evidence"

EDIT: here is a more pointed link specific to this discussion.

>While digital sticks rely on single electrical connections for movement (using internal digital electrical contacts for up, down, left and right), analog sticks use continuous electrical activity running through potentiometers to measure the exact position of the stick within its full range of motion.

Back