Episode 5

Chaz

Guildcard
Is it possible to code / develop an episode 5 and add it to the game?

What would this kind of project require?

Unless someone can completely crack the game open to the point where people can add content that isn't just more items, edited versions of existing enemies, and new quests, I'm more than certain that this is impossible.

You'd have to make new level maps, create several different routes of that one map, place down boxes, devise whole item droplists for all four difficulties, make field traps, make Ultimate variants of everything, etc. etc. A whole lot goes into making a single environment, especially if you're aiming to get the same quality that the original maps have, and depending on what you want, you may need to make a single huge map (if you plan on doing something like Crater, which I'm pretty sure has all four routes contained in a single map), or 2 or 3 smaller maps (based around setpieces, which is slightly easier to design, since you can piece mostly everything together), and that's for each area you want to have in a theoretical Episode 5. You'd be looking at inserting at least 5 to 10 different maps depending on what you're designing for an episode.

And if you're making new enemies, you'd have to design new code to handle their abilities and change THAT code for Ultimate, too.
Then there's the bosses. If you want a completely original boss, that's even more enemy code to design.

And there's also a story you'd probably need to put in, even though I'm sure none of us play the story anyways outside of getting certain quest-related rewards from it, since we've all played it to completion several times over. Though if you can make it more interesting, there might be a few people who'd be engaged in it.

So yeah. You'd be looking at a very, very daunting task. You'd need to get a whole team of people to do all that, and even then the problem with adding THAT much new content still stands.

EDIT: Also, considering nobody's tried doing that yet, not even the servers that add custom items into the game, it's unlikely there'll ever be one. If it ever happens, well, we may just see something that could be a contender for new recommended server (assuming its leaders do things responsibly.)

Last edited:
Ah, so you have to crack the entire game open- this hasn't been done yet?

As far as I'm aware, not to such an extent that new, original level maps and bosses can be added in.

Edit: Sure, there's some stuff that can be reused between episodes, or even pulled from existing assets. Just look at Temple/Spaceship, the Rappies, and almost every common walking enemy. However, it's important to make many more original assets as well to offset that, otherwise you wouldn't have a real episode 5.

Last edited:
I always wanted maps based off of the unique stages in episode 3, as well as a Arkz class that could summon monsters to fight enemies. Also boss enemies from ep 3 as sub bosses/boss in game.

Luekon Knight wishes it was a ship from Ikaruga lol

Well, you have a few choices. You can either do as was stated above and crack the client open and attempt to add to it or you can rebuild the entire client from the ground up and avoid hack fixes and cracks. Which ultimately might just be the better route to take, considering without the source code for the original client you're going to constantly run into a ton of issues. Neither of these options are going to be simple.

Its not impossible to do. People add on to existing games all the time. The big problem that I'd honestly see from doing something like this is the lack of talent in the community (This isn't a jab at anyone. The people who exist here and do what they do are great, but I don't think anyone can deny that out of the few hundred that play or care about this game, only a handful actually have a skill set that would allow them to do something like this) and the lack of reason to do it. You'd be busting your ass to remake a game that barely has a community playing it. Some would look at that fact and not even bother wasting their time, some wouldn't care and just want to do it because they love the game.

So, you would need programmers. A fair amount of them if you're hoping to have this done in a reasonable amount of time. Networking knowledge would be a must if you want the game to be able to be played online. You would need people capable of rigging and animating as well as people familiar with modeling. People familiar with audio production would probably be advised unless you aim to use old music. You would also need someone who is familiar with level design as there is a lot more to building a world than slapping down bushes and a river.

It would take a good bit assuming you're going to do it right.

What would you like for new enemies anyway? What classic PS flare would work?

Copy all the enemies
Add a new gimmick
Take one or two old gimmicks away
Paint it a different color

Keeping up with PSO tradition

We already have an ep where robots and monkeys fight side by side, you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

let's make ep 5 full of these things

latest

Yes to chao rappy.

Love the feedback, I would probably agree the remake would be the best route overall.. but not sure if Sega would shutdown. No comment on lack of community- ~20 more active members than in 2016 is nothing to scoff at imo.

Yes to chao rappy.

Love the feedback, I would probably agree the remake would be the best route overall.. but not sure if Sega would shutdown. No comment on lack of community- ~20 more active members than in 2016 is nothing to scoff at imo.
Didn't state there was a lack of community. I stated there was a lack of talent within the community it self. I'd wager a great majority of the people that still play this game have very little to no knowledge on how to build a game from the ground up.

Sega would probably shut it down. Than again, they haven't done anything to the private servers, so who knows.

Paganini: I heard Pioneer 3 was on the way! (or whatever he says)

Anyway, Pioneer 3 never made it and crash landed on a different planet. Your mission is to save them. 4 new areas. An actual SNOW LEVEL in there somewhere. Last area would be derelict Pioneer 3 with dark type enemies. Another Dark Falz spawned on that planet. (Since PS canon confirms there are multiple Dark Falzes.) /game

It would be cool because the story could be starring NPCs of well known PSO players. Of course not average players like me xD

People have asked SEGA directly for pso's source code before. The only response we've ever or will ever get is "いいえ"
Which is coincidentally also my response to this thread.

Back