Creating a Quest with QEdit

Darn, that's a shame that you can't get them to spawn with grinds. Oh well thanks guys, I can now create reliable drops. ^ω^

One serious question: Are you guys honestly scripting in qedit? Cause I thought I'd be smart and write that stuff in a text editor and then import my script, but it turns out when I save it (looks fine), close and restart qedit and load my quest, some stuff has gone missing. Is there a best practice on importing scripts (like a specific encoding) or do I really need to script in qedit to be save?

I do it in qedit.

If you want to use a text editor and import, you need very specific spacing. Export a script from a quest to see what it looks like.

I do it in qedit.

If you want to use a text editor and import, you need very specific spacing. Export a script from a quest to see what it looks like.

Ah sweet, I got the obvious spacing right (1tab being 4spaces, which is kinda standard etcetc.). But turns out after every command that doesn't have any parameters (ret, mesend, sync,...) you have to add a space. Otherwise that command will be deleted, even though the initial import looks fine.

Even when you export and import with the proper spacing, make sure that the registers and opcodes (found in little folders on the left) are filled properly. If not it will not work. Same is true with the data/str and function folders. I've found it to be more work to write in a text editor than to just write it in qedit. But yes, this is a very annoying issue with qedit.

The export feature can be useful for providing documentation and extracting the text for translation, but the import feature is pretty much useless, since it's so picky. (The actual text export feature is also kind of useless for translation purposes, because you lose all context related to who is saying which lines of dialogue.)

Just figured this out and thought I'd share:

How to hide NPCs
When editing NPC data (ID, function, position, etc) you'll notice there's a setting for "Hide Register."
Put a number 0-255 here. This refers to a Register so make sure to use something not reserved or already in use by your quest.
And simply set that register in your script and the NPC will vanish.

I have not found a way to bring back that NPC after hiding it, but if necessary, you could put multiple of the same NPC in the same location and unhide one at a time as needed.

There are actually two fields, but one of them is not displayed in the public Qedit. One field is the hide register, and the other is the appear register. When both are 0, the NPC is always visible. When you define the AR, the NPC appears only when the register is set. When you define the HR, the NPC disappears again when the register is set, even if the AR is also set.

If you want to use a single register, you can just clear the AR to make the NPC invisible again without using the HR at all, but using both can be handy if you want the NPC to appear and disappear again based on other factors within the quest, i.e. not having to clear the AR, because it also represents the completion of some goal that you don't want to erase.

How should I change the contents of "Item Present" shop?
I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking. But Wrapped items just items with byte 5 0x40 or 0xFF. Here's an example:

is a Saber +5. To wrap it all you need to do is make it
00010005,FF000000,00000000,00000000

So when you're generating an item, set that byte one of these codes and it'll be wrapped.
40: Wrapped Item (In a Present)
FF: Wrapped Item & Untekked

If you're talking about the items holiday rappies drop for events, that's a server setting that you can't change.

The value is 0xC0 for wrapped and untekked (0x40 | 0x80), not that there's much point in setting both flags at once. I think he's talking about a quest with that title, though.

He means the quest "Item Present". You can edit the contents of the shop by going to the BB Item List in qedit in the last menu item and then editing the hex. The very first line is the item that it will take (although it has a hardcoded limit of 1 I believe), the next however many lines is the item list and the second to last column is the price of the item (which is hardcoded as 1...).

Cheers for this guide. I have some quest files that Vorlon - from Emuparadise when that site was running - was trying to get into the Xbox version of the game. This is the sort of thing I was looking for so I can add the quests to my PSOBB Tethealla Server. Think of it as a test to push the server to it's limits and also teach me another programming language as such. Self taught on 6502 with Atari 800XL and 68000 with Atari ST. Going back a while now but retained some of the knowledge.

What's happened to the picture's Matt?

I've gone into the source of the first web page and got this link for you as I have no pictures showing. Here's one of the links -> http://puu.sh/o88ym/c3e2546fea.png

There's nothing on the puu.sh site. All I get is a small picture with a red X on it. Right clicking image and opening a new tab to show it shows proxy.php on new window tab. 32*32 image size. Any chance you could check them out?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Also this link is dead -> http://puu.sh/o8kEv/df842c471e.zip

Last edited:
Ah crap, I didn't realise I was using puush so I'll need to grab the images again. I'll get around to it.

Hi all!

Where can i download all the presets files for Pionner 2, Forest 1 & 2 and Dragon?
puush link to df842c471e.zip is dead so can someone please upload the file to another server?

Isn´t any way to import all that objects / monsters from the main offline storyline to the qedit?
i mean, some file from the original install folder should contain that object files as the game loads, am i wrong?

Thx in advance.

It would be possible to download the custom quests created by the users that are available in the server? For study purposes of course, I want to create a quest and will be useful to check how the experts created their quests.

It would be possible to download the custom quests created by the users that are available in the server? For study purposes of course, I want to create a quest and will be useful to check how the experts created their quests.
It isn't up to us, send a private message to the specific author of the specific quest you want to look at directly. You can find the author names at the quest counter or at https://ephinea.pioneer2.net/about-ephinea/

Most will be willing to send you a copy of their quest file.

Back