Christmas 2018 Event Thread

Please don't forget about the people that couldn't hunt pre nerf (not at home over Christmas, missing almost all the event cuz of it). I'm thankful that there stays the hope to get the same stuff as the people that already had the chance to drop it....

It’s not server balance they’re worried about-it’s the economy. Throw fifteen of those 50h rms into it and you’ve basically killed the hunt entirely. This would be less the case with almost every other weapon since it’s so niche (and there are so few people willing to sphere, let alone play fomarl and sphere an rm).

Soda mentioned the concern for another reason: say I manage to drop a 45h rm (and I’ve probably dropped hundreds of them to find one with hit that high). Well, sphereing that is going to feel terrible. Hunting that item at all is going to feel terrible, really. Same thing happened to frozen shooters and slicers of fanatic in an earlier event, though the top end hit ones weren’t affected. Was still enough to deter people from hunting them specifically.

All that said... whatever. The event was fun before the nerf, it was fun during, it’ll be fun after. But this is my guess as to why there was a sudden change- they were trying to avoid what suddenly seemed like tanking an items worth for good. Act and nerf, and people will complain it’s unfair. Don’t act, and people will complain that their hunted (or already sphered) rms are now worthless.

I agree it's a lose-lose scenario for them and I sympathize. I'd disagree that they'd flood the market just from my own anecdotal experience with how rare the "banner worthy" drops are. I've been literally doing very little else but grind since the event started and only found one in all of that time.

Example: I found 60h charge vulvans from the scavanger this week. I go to the price check section on the discord and am told that they're still going to be worth quite a bit at auction because finding 75h is going to be very difficult.

I don't think this is too far off from what would happen with 0/0/0/0/50 Daylight Scar. Just because somebody has a 50 hit one (which is now going to be found the old fashioned way), I wouldn't value 45h or even 40h as trash by any means.

All that being said, I definitely went overboard in terms of what I percieved were the extent of the changes.

It really isn't a big deal, and I'm happy Sodaboy found a middle ground.

Is it me or is it that pure support type FOs don't get as many presents when running fiasco as those doing the killing?

As in because support types don't get as many kills as their team counterparts due to them using other skills like jellen, zalure, resta, and only attack skills like gifoie and rabarta to keep enemies at bay while not doing the killing blows to the mobs.

I have been running FO main and I am seeing this phenomena as I have gone 5-10 games without a present drop while those I play with doing most of the killing get one on average every 1-2 games.

If that is the case, I am not gonna use FO for the rest of this event and concentrate on my RA and HU. Not to mention FOs don't even get as much as a thank you from many people for the buffs/ress/heals who just leave to find the next game. Not that I really want or need the thanks(as I know we are all busy farming) but just trying to find out how the drop rate for presents work.

Last edited:
Is it me or is it that pure support type FOs don't get as many presents when running fiasco as those doing the killing?

As in because support types don't get as many kills as their team counterparts due to them using other skills like jellen, zalure, resta, and only attack skills like gifoie and rabarta to keep enemies at bay while not doing the killing blows to the mobs.

I have been running FO main and I am seeing this phenomena as I have gone 5-10 games without a present drop while those I play with doing most of the killing get one on average every 1-2 games.

If that is the case, I am not gonna use FO for the rest of this event and concentrate on my RA and HU. Not to mention FOs don't even get as much as a thank you from many people for the buffs/ress/heals who just leave to find the next game. Not that I really want or need the thanks(as I know we are all busy farming) but just trying to find out how the drop rate for presents work.
Nope, youre just having a bad streak of luck.

There is no correlation to class vs present drop rates. You are simply experiencing confirmation bias.

Every enemy defeated has a flat 1/1,500 chance of dropping a present, regardless of if you landed the killing blow, only tagged it with debuffs, or were even in the room fighting it.

There is no correlation to class vs present drop rates. You are simply experiencing confirmation bias.

Every enemy defeated has a flat 1/1,500 chance of dropping a present, regardless of if you landed the killing blow, only tagged it with debuffs, or were even in the room fighting it.

Marvellous.

At least now I can continue to use my favourite char FO.

Thank you for the kind attention and replies.

Appreciate it.

Good day.

Not to mention FOs don't even get as much as a thank you from many people for the buffs/ress/heals who just leave to find the next game
Well, you mentioned it so I'll just go ahead and unnecessarily toss my 2 cents in:

FO is, by far, the easiest and most powerful character you can play; it's especially the easiest if all you're doing is support.
All you have to do is keep sd up and zulure every wave that spawns with the occasional wave that needs jellen thrown at it and it never hurts to spam rab a bit on the unruly mobs. Lillies, you just zul raz to prevent megid.

I can, quite literally, eat a sandwich and watch tv while playing support fo.
Do you thank them for memorizing spawns, timing traps, pivot-shooting perfect combos and lining up attacks while dodging incoming ones. A lot more button presses in a shorter amount of time there.

Well, you mentioned it so I'll just go ahead and unnecessarily toss my 2 cents in:

FO is, by far, the easiest and most powerful character you can play; it's especially the easiest if all you're doing is support.
All you have to do is keep sd up and zulure every wave that spawns with the occasional wave that needs jellen thrown at it and it never hurts to spam rab a bit on the unruly mobs. Lillies, you just zul raz to prevent megid.

I can, quite literally, eat a sandwich and watch tv while playing support fo.
Do you thank them for memorizing spawns, timing traps, pivot-shooting perfect combos and lining up attacks while dodging incoming ones. A lot more button presses in a shorter amount of time there.

Constant gifoies, rabarta and occasionally razonde to try to keep mobs in neutral/frozen/hit-stun state for your teammates to pick them off more easily while doing the repertoire of z/j and keeping up s/d and running all over the room while keeping everyone's health up/ressing teammates and grouping enemies for mass kills for teammates is what I do as support.

And I have to say, it really depends on who you are playing with.

Not to mention I know you have a real wealth of experience playing FO so probably it comes easier for you than me haha

I doubt I could do it like you and yes I do thank them if they don't run off first :)

Manners maketh man after all.

Last edited:
Query:

Say I keep my unopened presents in the bank. Say I keep them until next year's christmas event is up and running.

Will these presents still drop 2018's event items or will they drop the new event items then?
I assume a new codenumber is given to every year's presents?

Yeah, it's the same code. You can do the same with Easter Eggs. Bet everyone wish they kept last year's instead of opening 50 zanbas.

It would still give you an xmas 2018 item.
Ok, thank you.

Another question. Does the determining roll happen when the present drops or when it is opened?

I'm assuming when it is opened as it doesn't appear until you re-open your inventory.

Ok, thank you.

Another question. Does the determining roll happen when the present drops or when it is opened?

I'm assuming when it is opened as it doesn't appear until you re-open your inventory.

When it's opened.

FO is, by far, the easiest and most powerful character you can play

Most powerful character maybe :p, but easiest nah. Both Ra and Hu have it easier starting out than Fo.

Sure support fo is easy, in a team that isn't filled with newbies or under leveled people but oh man in a bad team...well that gets kind of fun is all I have to say.

Really I do like watching the levels of players ranging from new to pro. Its fun seeing how people play differently.

Most powerful character maybe :p, but easiest nah. Both Ra and Hu have it easier starting out than Fo.

Sure support fo is easy, in a team that isn't filled with newbies or under leveled people but oh man in a bad team...well that gets kind of fun is all I have to say.

Really I do like watching the levels of players ranging from new to pro. Its fun seeing how people play differently.
When you're using Antimicro and Palette Manager and your buttons are all muscle memory, it's super easy, even with a party of noobs. It literally takes no thinking since pretty much everything you do is AOE. RA and HU takes maneuvering and adaptation to variables in real time. FO, you can stand in the middle of the room and get everything done - with lv 30 rab you hardly need traps.

i cant imagine to play my fo again without pad, palette manager and antimicro :3 the difference in reaction time....you can anti faster then most players cure themselves xd

i cant imagine to play my fo again without pad, palette manager and antimicro :3 the difference in reaction time....you can anti faster then most players cure themselves xd

Only problems I have, keyboard is faster for scrolling the quick menu and having to use the right stick for 2 numbers. Which accidently get activated quite often. Since my palatte is optimized for controller atm it is bad when I forget to turn on antimicro.

Alas miss the keyboard sometimes but it would be hard to give up a whole 2nd palatte and quick turns. xD

Back