Playing this game on an old computer with a crappy Pentium D processor.

FIghter

The game really lags for me. I had to buy a cheap computer after my last one died. One the later levels the frame rate really drops badly. Max attack S runs at a really slow crawl.

I am just wondering would putting in a cheap graphics card help improve how the game performs?

I never had any slowdown using an AGP GeForce 6800. Assuming your PC has AGP (or maybe first gen PCI-E) you could probably improve the performance.

If your struggling to run PSOBB this post could help. (Scroll down to mine).

This game is not CPU intensive.

Make sure you got at least a mid range class GPU..

Here are the Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst system requirements (minimum)
  • CPU: Pentium III or Athlon equivalent
  • CPU SPEED: 700 MHz
  • RAM: 256 MB
  • VIDEO CARD: Direct3D compatible, 3D graphics board, minimum 32 MB VRAM (NVIDIA GeForce3+ / ATI Radeon 8500+)
  • TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 32 MB
  • 3D: Yes
  • HARDWARE T&L: Yes
  • PIXEL SHADER: 1.1
  • VERTEX SHADER: 1.0
  • DIRECTX VERSION: 9.0b
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Recommended Requirements
  • CPU: Pentium 4 or Athlon XP
  • CPU SPEED: 1.4 GHz
  • RAM: 512 MB
  • VIDEO CARD: Direct3D compatible, 3D graphics board, minimum 64 MB VRAM (NVIDIA GeForce FX / ATI Radeon 9600+)
  • TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 64 MB
  • 3D: Yes
  • HARDWARE T&L: Yes
  • PIXEL SHADER: 2.0
  • VERTEX SHADER: 2.0
  • DIRECTX VERSION: 9.0b
  • SOUND CARD: Yes
Source

Frame skip sucks ass. I hate it and would wholly recommend figuring out if you have an AGP or PCI-E available. From there you can very likely find something relatively cheap that would allow you to at least turn that off.

Core 2 Duo was released about a year after Blue Burst came out, so your CPU should be able to hang if you slap a GPU in there. While Core 2 kinda shit on Pentium, PSO wasn't designed with Core 2 in mind.

This game is not CPU intensive.
This game is incredibly CPU intensive for the hardware of the time. BB has a bug that makes it consume 100% CPU at all times for no reason, so on CPUs of the early 2000s that have only one core, BB takes all of your CPU resources and generates a lot of heat. I had to quit BB in 2010 because the 100% CPU bug started making my Pentium 4 rig BSOD from overheating.

Modern CPUs have 4-8 cores, so BB can only consume 100% of a single core (or thread, if you have hyperthreading), so the impact is lower than with a single-core CPU.

This game is incredibly CPU intensive for the hardware of the time. BB has a bug that makes it consume 100% CPU at all times for no reason, so on CPUs of the early 2000s that have only one core, BB takes all of your CPU resources and generates a lot of heat. I had to quit BB in 2010 because the 100% CPU bug started making my Pentium 4 rig BSOD from overheating.

Modern CPUs have 4-8 cores, so BB can only consume 100% of a single core (or thread, if you have hyperthreading), so the impact is lower than with a single-core CPU.

lolwut? Is this CPU dependant? Im getting 13% CPU usage up to a max of 32% in quests on a single core Pentium M.

It could be. We're talking about Sega's programming skills, after all. BB always took 100% CPU on my Pentium 4 (50% with HT enabled).

lolwut? Is this CPU dependant? Im getting 13% CPU usage up to a max of 32% in quests on a single core Pentium M.
Look up the Pentium D processor. That is what I am using.

My last laptop died and I got the cheapest pc i could find.

Back